36 weeks with twins...feeling so much pressure/ pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas.

I need some experienced twin mama advice here. I am 36 weeks (2 days) and am feeling so much pressure in my cervix. It honestly feels like I am going to drop a head out! All that pressure translates to some sharp, stabbing pains in the cervix and menstrual-like cramping. However, I am not having any regular contractions or anything like that.

So is all that pain and cramping normal?? I am so hoping to make it to 37 weeks. I am hoping that this doesn't mean that labor is right around the corner.

Thanks so much!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#2 of 27 Old 12-17-2009, 02:37 PM

I am not experienced with this, but I am 36 wks 5 days and had something like that off and on all night on Tuesday night. I was feeling really pathetic in the morning and was inclined to stay in bed and whimper. But I dragged myself out to the shower and ate breakfast. It helped with the generally feeling awful, though I still have so much pressure in my pelvic area.

I had an appointment with my HB midwife yesterday. She checked me and thinks that I will still be pregnant next week, though she could feel baby A's head way down low. I think that with A's head so low and her sister sitting right on top of her, I am generally uncomfortable. The crampiness comes and goes. It tends to be more noticeable when I lay down for a while. When I move around and/or eat, it tends to go away.

I am torn on which is more uncomfortable. If I am upright, I feel so much pressure in and around my pelvis and cervix. If I lie down, they slide up into my lungs and I can hardly breathe. I’m sure that I am fun to sleep with at this point, with all of my huffing and puffing and panting!

Just curious, but what day gets you to 37 weeks? I have been counting down to 37 weeks as what I am most comfortable with, too. For me, it’s this coming Sunday!
#3 of 27 Old 12-17-2009, 04:18 PM

You might be experiencing Pubic Symphysis Diastasis, in which case, it has no bearing on when you might go into labour. My OB wanted me to get any pubic pain checked out, so I went in when I got excruciating pressure and pain without contractractions, but it turned out to be PSD, which is uncomfortable but nothing to worry about. It was painful off and on until shortly after the babies were born.

By 36 weeks, you are less likely to have the sort of preterm labour that doesn't even feel like you are contracting, so that kind of pressure is less of a worry than in might have been a few weeks ago. But, if it worries you, I would trust your gut and at least call your care provider.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#4 of 27 Old 12-17-2009, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenChaffee View Post
I am not experienced with this, but I am 36 wks 5 days and had something like that off and on all night on Tuesday night. I was feeling really pathetic in the morning and was inclined to stay in bed and whimper. But I dragged myself out to the shower and ate breakfast. It helped with the generally feeling awful, though I still have so much pressure in my pelvic area.

I had an appointment with my HB midwife yesterday. She checked me and thinks that I will still be pregnant next week, though she could feel baby A's head way down low. I think that with A's head so low and her sister sitting right on top of her, I am generally uncomfortable. The crampiness comes and goes. It tends to be more noticeable when I lay down for a while. When I move around and/or eat, it tends to go away.

I am torn on which is more uncomfortable. If I am upright, I feel so much pressure in and around my pelvis and cervix. If I lie down, they slide up into my lungs and I can hardly breathe. I’m sure that I am fun to sleep with at this point, with all of my huffing and puffing and panting!

Just curious, but what day gets you to 37 weeks? I have been counting down to 37 weeks as what I am most comfortable with, too. For me, it’s this coming Sunday!
Sounds like we are in the same boat! I am counting down to next Tuesday for 37 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hergrace View Post
You might be experiencing Pubic Symphysis Diastasis, in which case, it has no bearing on when you might go into labour. My OB wanted me to get any pubic pain checked out, so I went in when I got excruciating pressure and pain without contractractions, but it turned out to be PSD, which is uncomfortable but nothing to worry about. It was painful off and on until shortly after the babies were born.

By 36 weeks, you are less likely to have the sort of preterm labour that doesn't even feel like you are contracting, so that kind of pressure is less of a worry than in might have been a few weeks ago. But, if it worries you, I would trust your gut and at least call your care provider.
Thanks for the input. I think I will call my midwife just to check.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#5 of 27 Old 12-17-2009, 04:51 PM

I for sure had wicked pelvic pressure and pain from about 35 weeks on and gave birth to them at 39 weeks. It was pretty intense there at the end. I remember trying to get up into my minivan made me feel like my Baby A was going to come shooting out

Two things to keep in mind:

1) make sure you don't have a UTI because that can make pelvic pressure worse

and

2) Intense stabbing pain in your cervix can mean a breech baby. I could tell when Claire was breech because Oh. My. Gawd. the intense stabbing pains from her kicking my cervix could literally take my breath away!
#6 of 27 Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 PM

Honestly? I had that kind of pressure and pain from even earlier, like 33 weeks or maybe 34, can't remember now, it's been awhile, but I'm surprised you've made it so far without it. I think the pressure and the stabs in the cervix are normal. I had them late-term with my singleton, too, and she wasn't breech. Neither was my Baby A twin. And with my twins, at 36 weeks, I felt like I was literally going to drop those babies on the floor if I stood up too suddenly. I was so uncomfortable-- my back ached, my legs ached, I was crampy, my uterus felt like somebody was sticking nails in it, I had DS with his hands in my liver, I think, and DD2 ramming her head into my cervix and her feet into poor DS almost constantly.

When you have the cramping, is your uterus hardening like a contractions? Could just be your body gearing up for labor. That doesn't mean you're going to deliver soon, necessarily, although I wouldn't go booking any vacations for next week, either! I contracted constantly the entire third trimester with my twins, and still made it to term.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#7 of 27 Old 12-18-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post

2) Intense stabbing pain in your cervix can mean a breech baby. I could tell when Claire was breech because Oh. My. Gawd. the intense stabbing pains from her kicking my cervix could literally take my breath away!
Oh TOTALLY that!!!!!! Zachary was footling breech and the pain was insane.

I also had the awful pain starting about 33wks. It got to the point in the week before I delivered (at 38w2d) that when I'd stand up I'd have to shuffle my feet the first few steps before I could even lift a foot to take a step. I still have pain now and the babes are 3.5mths old. It is actually worse at night when I'm lying down. Eases as I walk through the day. A heat sack at night works well to ease the pain - both when pg and now.

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#8 of 27 Old 12-18-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much ladies!

I don't think that Baby A is breech though. He has been head down very consistantly and was still head down at my last appointment.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#9 of 27 Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 PM

You'd know the pain I'm talking about if he were breech for sure. Every footling breech mama I've ever talked to has nodded vigerously when I've mentioned the stabbing pain!
#10 of 27 Old 12-18-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You'd know the pain I'm talking about if he were breech for sure. Every footling breech mama I've ever talked to has nodded vigerously when I've mentioned the stabbing pain!

Yeah, I think that it is more shooting pain from his hand or him turning his head back and forth or something. I feel all kicks up high (all four of their feet are in the same general spot).

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#11 of 27 Old 12-18-2009, 03:12 PM

I spent the last three or four weeks of my twin pregnancy convinced that baby A was going to fall out. The pressure was really intense. The OB said it was my cervix dilating. Maybe.

But...What I really wanted to say was that as soon as I heard it was twins I decided I was going to give birth at 36 weeks. I was determined. I walked around four and five centimeters dilated for several weeks, and then went into labor when I was 36 weeks exactly. That might be what's happening with you, who knows.

Karen, mama to one toddler (9/07) and twin babies (10/09)
#12 of 27 Old 12-18-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by verycozy View Post
I spent the last three or four weeks of my twin pregnancy convinced that baby A was going to fall out. The pressure was really intense. The OB said it was my cervix dilating. Maybe.

But...What I really wanted to say was that as soon as I heard it was twins I decided I was going to give birth at 36 weeks. I was determined. I walked around four and five centimeters dilated for several weeks, and then went into labor when I was 36 weeks exactly. That might be what's happening with you, who knows.
This is similar to me. When I found out it was twins, I decided that I would not give birth until after 37 weeks. I talk to the babies all the time and plead with them to wait until 37 weeks. So far they are listening well! Only 4 days left!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#13 of 27 Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 PM

Feeling a lot of pressure now at almost 32 wks - became worse just this past week and may have coincided with Baby B now being head-down (Baby A still breech). Didn't feel as much pelvic pressure when they were both breech--but did feel much more pressure in rib-cage. Now the pressure is everywhere!
#14 of 27 Old 12-18-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Funny, my baby A was footling breech and while the kicking in the cervix was certainly annoying, it wasn't painful.

Good luck mama...not long now...and time to just rest, rest, rest!

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
#15 of 27 Old 12-26-2009, 03:00 PM

i certainly feel the breech kicks in the cervix, but im 34 weeks and been feeling that for at least 8 weeks ...
its very uncomfortable, like in the kids cartoons when they kick through the wall . but ive told the babies they are staying in till jan 20th , and thats that !

its very painfull, theres nothign you can do about it , its two possible caues, either breech , or cervical dilation , thats the only two things it can be .

Semi crunchy Married Mom of 3 20 DS 9 DD4DD mom to b/g newborn twins Jan 4 2010 :Ask me about PREECLAMPSIA!
#16 of 27 Old 12-27-2009, 05:44 PM

The day I gave birth to my girls, I still really didn't feel much pressure or have any pain in my pelvis. I really expected to be miserable but wasn't. Here's hoping you give birth soon...I know you are after 37 weeks now.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#17 of 27 Old 12-27-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel65655 View Post
The day I gave birth to my girls, I still really didn't feel much pressure or have any pain in my pelvis. I really expected to be miserable but wasn't. Here's hoping you give birth soon...I know you are after 37 weeks now.
Thank you! I am really, really hoping these babies come out soon. I am feeling the strain from all this weight.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#18 of 27 Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 AM

My brain was wrapped around 38 weeks, and I gave birth at 38 weeks EXACTLY. However, in the end, my "original baby A" who had become "baby B", fought for her spot at the gate and won. Those were crazy final days for me.
#19 of 27 Old 12-28-2009, 01:18 PM

Oh and up until a week and a half before they were born baby A was lower in my pelvis....Baby B was born first.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#20 of 27 Old 12-28-2009, 04:08 PM

Oh goodness Mandie, I know just how you feel. I spent all my emotional energy getting to 37 weeks that I was just DONE and wanted them OUT! I'm so glad we went to 39 though, as Claire was pretty tiny (6.6) and the extra two weeks was a good thing (I am normally a 39-40 week Mama). Hang in there. I got on just to check on you! My computer is going down frequently thanks to a virus so I'll probably miss the birth. I'm thinking of you though!
#21 of 27 Old 12-28-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh goodness Mandie, I know just how you feel. I spent all my emotional energy getting to 37 weeks that I was just DONE and wanted them OUT! I'm so glad we went to 39 though, as Claire was pretty tiny (6.6) and the extra two weeks was a good thing (I am normally a 39-40 week Mama). Hang in there. I got on just to check on you! My computer is going down frequently thanks to a virus so I'll probably miss the birth. I'm thinking of you though!
Thank you! Yes, I am just ready to be done now. The itching of the belly skin is by far the worst thing ever. My skin is so stretched it is cracked and bleeding. Thanks for checking in on me though!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#22 of 27 Old 12-30-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nummies View Post
Thank you! Yes, I am just ready to be done now. The itching of the belly skin is by far the worst thing ever. My skin is so stretched it is cracked and bleeding. Thanks for checking in on me though!
please tell me youre doing something about that to , massage with oils or lotions , or vitamin e drops , cocoa butter, something to help it heal before you end up with a secondary infection of some evil type

im 35 weeks , still getting kicked in the cervix...
ouch , i know im waiting , im aiming for jan 20th , .... i want aquarius babies!!!

Semi crunchy Married Mom of 3 20 DS 9 DD4DD mom to b/g newborn twins Jan 4 2010 :Ask me about PREECLAMPSIA!
#23 of 27 Old 12-31-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by directmommy View Post
please tell me youre doing something about that to , massage with oils or lotions , or vitamin e drops , cocoa butter, something to help it heal before you end up with a secondary infection of some evil type
Yes, I am tried pretty much everything on the market.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#24 of 27 Old 12-31-2009, 02:27 PM

Ouch, that sounds terribly painful!!! For me, it was the numbness in my hands and arms. It got really bad at the end. I couldn't feel my hands at all when I woke up and most of the times my arms to the elbow. That cured with birth and I was SO grateful!
#25 of 27 Old 01-01-2010, 10:32 PM

Oyin Handmade has a great whipped shea & Vit E body butter. Gosh I love it! Have you tried that on the belly yet? I can definitely tell the days I don't use it...I do it in the morning and at night.

Oh, and if I'm super itchy, I lube up and cover with saran wrap so the lube won't come off on my clothes!!! It keeps my clothes from making it itchy...and keeps me from scratching (which just makes it worse).

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
#26 of 27 Old 01-01-2010, 10:36 PM

valerie , where do you buy it , and $

#27 of 27 Old 01-02-2010, 04:57 PM

ARGH...I just checked and their site is down for maintenance. I need some too. I order it online, just www.oyinhandmade.com, and I think it is $10 for a jar of it.

I goop it on, let it melt a little, and then rub it in. It reminds me a little of fresh butter in terms of consistency. No real scent to the one I have but I think you can get it scented. I was just worried that the already sensitive skin there would get irritated by any additional scents.

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page