Expecting momo twins so scared please help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-26-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies, I'm new here and a mommy to one beautiful 2 year old little girl. hubby and i tried for a year for our second and i found out in october i was pregnant. I had a 6 week scan at my ob office which showed one healthy little baby with heartbeat. On wednesday I went to the perinatologist office to have my nuchal translucency scan since I'm over 35. Imagine my suprise when the tech told me I was having 2 babies I was shocked. the doc came in told me they look good and they were in 1 sac (no seperating membrane) and 1 placenta (identical) Of course I really didn't understand what this all meant. He said because of this there was a high risk of the cords getting entrwined but they had alot of success with these type twins went put on inpateint monitoring at 24-26 weeks. When I got home I started research all this on the web and am now petrified I will loose my babies prior to going into the hospital. I don't even want to start to buy stuff or prepare because I'm afraid I'll jinx myslef. Has anyone been through this or going through this? I feel like I'm loosing my mind but can't help but stop worrying. I have a follow up scan in 1 month again (16) weeks with my perinatologist. I feel liek I cna't wait that long but I'm hoping maybe they will find a sac on the scan the second time around. we'll would love to hear from you all. thanks so much in advance.
#2 of 16 Old 12-27-2009, 01:09 PM

First, take a deep breath.

Now, quit googling it - I gave myself major panic with the googling about twin pregnancy.

Okay. Now focus on what you CAN do - eat for a twin pregnancy and stay as healthy as you can. Eat protein like crazy and plan to gain 50 lbs.

There are lots of wise mommas here who have BTDT, and can share their stories. But the extra stress of worrying won't do any of you any good.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#3 of 16 Old 12-28-2009, 04:36 AM

I know there have been recent posts about this, and I think there is a forum specific for momo twins. But big hugs to you, mama. Stay positive. I know it's hard. I had to wait over a month to find out about what my twins were once I found out I was having twins at 20 weeks. Welcome to the multiples board and good luck!
#4 of 16 Old 12-28-2009, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
and welcome! Congrats on your twins!

Here's the recent thread about another expectant mono mom. At least one of the responses is from a mom who successfully carried her mono twins into the 30 week range, I can't remember the details, but as I remember there was some bedrest but all's well. Worth reading and contacting her.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1174373

Good luck! One of the neat things about mono twins is that you know about when the zygote divided. About 10 days, right? Think back and remember what you were doing. My twins are MZ too, and I attribute Baby B to a wild night my DH and I had before I knew I was PG. It's not true, MZ twins are totally random as far as science knows, but makes me smile.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#5 of 16 Old 12-28-2009, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hi ladies, thanks for the messages of support, as the days go on I'm calming down some (not totally) but I guess it takes a littl ebit for the news of finding out you are having twins and oh by the way they are high risk to just set in..I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed my babies will do ok.
#6 of 16 Old 12-29-2009, 01:23 PM

I'll say some prayers for you ....

Don't we have some mommas of mo/mo twins?? I 'know' a momma blogger who has mo/mo girls in Alabama. (her girls are 4 now)

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#7 of 16 Old 12-30-2009, 03:08 PM

Huge

Make sure you get a high res u/s to completely rule out the presence of a membrane. There are some Mamas here who have BTDT and can be some support. I'm so sorry.
#8 of 16 Old 12-30-2009, 07:05 PM

I live in a midsized town and know of 2 moms who had mz twins which were not discovered until 35 weeks. Both sets of babies are/were fine. I agree with the PP. Learn what you can do to have a healthy pregnancy and then quit googling.
Hang in there

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#9 of 16 Old 12-30-2009, 11:38 PM

Hi there. I am a mother of momo twins who are 10 months old. I know where you are. Words cannot describe how much I completely understand where you are. I am sure that you have found the momo website by now which serves as a great line of support.

I'm not exaggerating when I tell you I think I cried for 2 weeks straight. You nailed it from finding out about 2, not just 1, to then hearing that they are in the same sac. This time last year I was preparing for my inpatient stay in the hospital.

As I realized more and more what was no longer in my control, I gained control of the only thing I could. Stay sane and healthy for my boys (my oldest and the twins). I read Dr. Luke's book, ate my protein, went to the doctor (OFTEN!) and took alot of deep breaths.

Huge hugs to you. I know this is not easy. There is a lot of support on this board and the momo board. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions and post here often with questions.

I detailed a lot of my pregnancy on my blog if you are interested in reading it. It's twinsmake5.blogspot.com. I was considering a homebirth prior to finding out about the twins and also never imagined a c-section.

Tina

Babywearing, breastfeeding, Mother of MoMo twins and their older brother.
#10 of 16 Old 12-31-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
I live in a midsized town and know of 2 moms who had mz twins which were not discovered until 35 weeks. Both sets of babies are/were fine. I agree with the PP. Learn what you can do to have a healthy pregnancy and then quit googling.
Hang in there
Not monochorionic/diamniotic twins. Monochorionic/monoamniotic twins. I'm not sure you are talking about the same thing? It would be pretty miraculous to have mo/mo twins at 35 weeks with no monitoring and no complications.
#11 of 16 Old 01-01-2010, 07:13 PM

s to you mama.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#12 of 16 Old 01-04-2010, 03:32 PM

Hi, I have monoamniotic twins. I'm sorry you've received such a scary diagnosis; it's especially hard early in the pregnancy, when there's nothing proactive you can do about the monoamniotic situation (though following normal eating suggestions for a twin pregnancy is certainly something you can do - and there's a lot about that on this board; it can be something positive to focus on while you wait on a firm diagnosis and treatment plan).

First, know that you could have been misdiagnosed; this happens quite often.

But if it turns out you do have monoamniotic twins, hang in there. It's a long road, but it's not without hope. I highly recommend heading over to monoamniotic.org - they keep up on all the latest research over there, and the moms on that board are hugely encouraging; they got me through my diagnosis, when I was wondering what in the world I should do.

I'm sorry you're facing something so scary, but congratulations on becoming a mom of twins! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
#13 of 16 Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hi thank you so much for your kind words.. I am very excited to be the mom of twins, I just haven't let myself feel totally happy because I'm afraid of loosing them. I will def check out the nutrition board.. Can I ask how much weight gain is normal in a twin pregnancy? I'm only 14 weeks and I gained 7lbs and I feel HUGE already.. My stomache looks how it looked in my first pregnancy at 6 months.. I'm just so afraid after I'll never get rid of all this weight!
#14 of 16 Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 PM

When the babies were born at 36 weeks, I had gained 65 pounds. I started out pretty small, if that makes any difference.

Good luck to you!

Karen, mama to one toddler (9/07) and twin babies (10/09)
#15 of 16 Old 01-08-2010, 10:47 PM

I found out yesterday I'm a MoMo momma, I was so freaking excited it was crazy. My OB kept telling me "Don't Google, I know you're going to Google this but please don't"

It didn't register to me why she didn't want me to google until DH & I did and even with all the "stats" I felt and still feel perfectly at peace. I saw my two little heart beats yesterday just fluttering away cozy next to each other. I've never seen a more beautiful site.

By LMP I'm 8w2d, Stuffing (Baby A) is measuring 6w3d and Tad (Baby B, my little bat hanging out in the corner) is measuring 6w1d. Congrats on your pregnancy! I'm here if you even want to compare notes

Rhys & DH: waiting on our Stuffing
****5***10****15****20****25****30****35 ****40
#16 of 16 Old 01-11-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
Not monochorionic/diamniotic twins. Monochorionic/monoamniotic twins. I'm not sure you are talking about the same thing? It would be pretty miraculous to have mo/mo twins at 35 weeks with no monitoring and no complications.
Yup mono/mono twins. Same doctor. Same U/S place, almost the same situations. Both sent immediately to a hospital with level 3 NICU with "preterm" labour and both sets of babies are fine.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page