39 weeks today and I need some encouragement - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mamas, I am just so tired. So ready for these babies to come out.

My back feels like it is breaking in half. I can't sit down without pain. My bladder is spasming today and it hurts so bad.

What if I am one of those women who never go into labor on their own? How is my cervix still holding all this weight? Are they really getting what they need in there? Can the human uterus take this much pressure?

Today is a really down day.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#2 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Congratulations for making it so far! You're such a strong mama! I'm sorry that you're struggling today and I hope those babies decide to make an entrance soon.

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

#3 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM

You are doing great. Your body is under a massive amount of strain, so it is no wonder that you are struggling.

I didn't get to anything like 39 weeks, so I can only imagine how ready you must be for the babies to be born. You can take it.

Just remember that each day from here is another step towards healthy full grown babies. Even at this late stage, keeping them inside is the best mothering you can do.

You can do it.

s

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#4 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 04:44 PM

Sending you as much encouragement as I can! They'll be here soon, and then a whole new adventure starts.
Congrats on 39 weeks-- that's a week more than mine got, and everybody thought that was amazing.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#5 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Today seems to be a crappy day all around. Not just you, something in the air. It's the 11th day of Christmas, it should be great!

You're awesome to get this far. Take a deep breath, get in a pool if you can, and know that you'll have your babes in your arms soon!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#6 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 05:12 PM

Oh, mama! Hugs to you. Look at far you have come! SO many women would love to be able to say that they carried their twins to 39 weeks (myself included!) You're almost there!

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#7 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 05:34 PM

YOU ARE A ROCK STAR! Seriously, just think of how big and healthy your babies will be!

My babies were born at 34w and needed a week in the NICU, followed by a few days in the pediatric ward. I would rather have gone longer in my pregnancy than do that again.

Well done! You can do it! Hold them in til they're ready (nobody stays pregnant forever).

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#8 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM

I don't believe there are moms who "don't go into labor on their own". Your body knows what it is doing. Remember, the more time they have IN you, the less time they are going to struggle finish developing OUT of you. This is the best thing you can do for them at this point. I carried my son (only one, so I know it doesn't really compare) till 42 weeks 2 days till I went into labor and he was born on 42 weeks 4 days.

If you are wanting to avoid a cesarean, I would recommend not being induced because since you have multiples, it just ups your chances of a cesarean.

Go get a prenatal massage, a pedicure, a belly casting, hot bath, or something else relaxing. Try some yoga? It helped me a lot with pain. My son was 9lb 8 oz, so he was about the weight of some twins combined. Keep up the strength, those babies NEED you!
#9 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the kind words twin mamas. I you all!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#10 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 PM

Big hugs to you Nummies!
I know how uncomfortable you are. I cried a lot those last few days, I was so dang miserable.
Try to rest. Rent some movies, ask dh for a foot rub, take hot showers or baths if someone can help you out.
Can't wait to read your birth announcement!

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#11 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 PM

You are sooooo, sooooo close. I was miserable at 36 weeks so I can only imagine. Your babes are going to be so big and healthy - I'm sure of it. One day at a time, heck, one hour at a time. Call a friend, chat, read a book, watch TV, anything to get your mind off it.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#12 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 10:11 PM

Nummies, great job on making it this far! I am a little over 35 wks. and would love to make it that far...I'm sure it's not the most comfortable experience in the world, though!! Do you have any estimates on how big they are now? Best of luck!!!!
#13 of 28 Old 01-05-2010, 11:09 PM

I went to 38 weeks 3 days with my boys. They're 3.5 months old now and EVERYONE asks about their birth weights when we go out. They were 6 lbs 6 and 6 lbs 5 and everyone is astonished they were that "big" and I frequently get asked how long I was pregnant. It's a pride thing for me now that I was able to carry them that long (I know many mamas here couldn't and I'm so sorry). It might help to think of that? Dispelling people's misconceptions that ALL twins come early ALL the time.

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#14 of 28 Old 01-07-2010, 12:44 AM

I wish I could have made it to 39 weeks. What a small group of women you belong to now. You are amazing, and probably in labor right now if not soon. Stay strong and trust your body. I can't wait to read your birth story!
#15 of 28 Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for this ladies! I am hanging in there barely. Lots of prodromal labor, but nothing else. I went to my midwife yesterday and I am 5-6cms dilated and 75=100% effaced. Everyone keeps saying it is soon, but I just don't understand how I can be walking around at 6cms and not in labor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanjeepin View Post
I went to 38 weeks 3 days with my boys. They're 3.5 months old now and EVERYONE asks about their birth weights when we go out. They were 6 lbs 6 and 6 lbs 5 and everyone is astonished they were that "big" and I frequently get asked how long I was pregnant. It's a pride thing for me now that I was able to carry them that long (I know many mamas here couldn't and I'm so sorry). It might help to think of that? Dispelling people's misconceptions that ALL twins come early ALL the time.
That is a nice way of looking at it!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#16 of 28 Old 01-07-2010, 03:24 PM

nummies, I'm right there with you ... 39 wks, 5 days today ... and I am SO tired and achy. I can't see how they aren't just falling out at this point. People keep assuring me that it will only be a few more days, but I've been hearing that for almost a month now.

I find myself feeling down at times and wondering if there is something wrong with me that I'm not going into labor, yet. But then I think of you in the same situation and figure that there is probably not something wrong with both of us, and that we are fine. Then I relax a bit.

Hang in there! You are in my thoughts!
#17 of 28 Old 01-07-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenChaffee View Post
nummies, I'm right there with you ... 39 wks, 5 days today ... and I am SO tired and achy. I can't see how they aren't just falling out at this point. People keep assuring me that it will only be a few more days, but I've been hearing that for almost a month now.

I find myself feeling down at times and wondering if there is something wrong with me that I'm not going into labor, yet. But then I think of you in the same situation and figure that there is probably not something wrong with both of us, and that we are fine. Then I relax a bit.

Hang in there! You are in my thoughts!
I was wondering how you were doing. I have those same exact thoughts. I keep thinking to myself "What is wrong with me and my body?!"

We can make it!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#18 of 28 Old 01-07-2010, 03:44 PM

Wow, 6 cm already? You're going to have a quick labor!

No matter what, it'll be soon, those babies can't stay in there forever. And I can't wait to hear your birth stories!

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
#19 of 28 Old 01-07-2010, 04:36 PM

About 20 months ago, there was a gang of mamas on this board, all pretty close to popping. I popped at 38 weeks, but watched others go way past me. WAY past me, like as in 42 weeks. I was sooooo thrilled for them, although they admittedly miserable, but I really admired the strength of their bodies to know to cook those babies to perfection!
Trust in your body, and know that 40 weeks is the norm for a lot of babies, and sometimes they take longer than that. Sadly, many of us know the consequences of "underbaked" babies (my DD1 for example). I felt a bit let down by my body that her membranes ruptured at 35 weeks. Made for a long road......
My best to you. I'll keep you mamas in my thoughts and will be sending calm, peaceful, gentle birthing vibes your way!
#20 of 28 Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nummies View Post
Thank you so much for this ladies! I am hanging in there barely. Lots of prodromal labor, but nothing else. I went to my midwife yesterday and I am 5-6cms dilated and 75=100% effaced. Everyone keeps saying it is soon, but I just don't understand how I can be walking around at 6cms and not in labor!
Okay, maybeI'm not helping here, but I walked out of the hospital dilated to 6cm and didn't deliver until 2.5 weeks later

However, the labor ended up being easy and they came quick when they came (at 37.5 weeks and 6.5+ lbs each).

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#21 of 28 Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 PM

You ladies are doing awesome!! I delivered at 37w 5d and remember how "done" I was. HOwever, once they were out I really wish I had made it longer so the feeding issues would have been easier. Once they're born, it will be all worth it and you'll be surprised how quickly you forget the discomforts of pregnancy. If it helps, I lost 47 pounds in the first 3 weeks after delivery. I hope you have a really easy labor and delivery and have two big, healthy beautiful babes!

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#22 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 05:24 PM

Hang in there! The last few weeks are the worst, but here's the only things I can offer as encouragement:

First, When I gave birth, I felt better. INSTANTLY better. Like, even after over an hour of pushing for baby A, 2 hours between babies, and over an hour of pushing for baby B, I felt BETTER. Immediately. There IS a light at the end of this tunnel, and you aren't far from it!!

Second, like a previous poster said, people are often amazed when they hear my GA and birthweights for the twins. Again, I hope in no way to cast negativity on those who didn't make it to term, but in your situation, you find the light where you can. The light for you might be that you can help inspire people that not all twins are born early with your own story of where you've been!

Take care of yourself!! Do what you can to make yourself more comfortable, and know that it won't be much longer.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#23 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 PM

My boys were born via c-section at 40 weeks. (They definitely could have gone longer if my health had permitted.) Even though it's tough, hang in there. Your babies will be stronger, healthier and better nursers. I'm so thankful my boys went full term. It was hard enough recovering from a c-section, over-stretched abdominal muscles and a skin infection; I would not have done well with smaller, weaker babies. Keep up the good work!
#24 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyc View Post
Again, I hope in no way to cast negativity on those who didn't make it to term, but in your situation, you find the light where you can.
absolutely agree and as mama of 32 weekers (who was so falling apart even at that gestation) i'm in awe and inspired by you all who carry longer

wishing you peaceful births: very, very soon

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#25 of 28 Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Joining in late, but wishing you well.
  • You will go into labour on your own.
  • You are strong.
  • These extra days are making your babies strong.
All good. . .

Our boys were born at 39wks 4 days - hours after my #1 planned labour support person advised that she was a "go" to attend the birth for apx 24 hours until leaving on an international holiday.

I was exceptionally glad to have her along that night, but a small part of me wishes I could have surpassed 40 weeks just because I did with all our other kids and sort of wanted to with the twins.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#26 of 28 Old 01-16-2010, 07:11 PM

Just wondering if nummies has an update. . .

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#27 of 28 Old 01-16-2010, 08:27 PM

Yes! I have been thinking about her lately as well!

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#28 of 28 Old 01-16-2010, 08:58 PM

I think someone posted an update from facebook. She had her babies at home. One of them was having a little difficulty with fluid issues, so they went to the hospital afterwards. Search nummies in the Jan DDC and I believe that is where I saw the update.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page