twin mamas: fundal height question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i hope this comes out making sense!

for mamas who know or kept track of their fundal height during pregnancy, if your fundal height was bigger than "normal" for a singleton pregnancy, what was the variation/ratio of fundal height to weeks, as your pregnancy progressed?

as in, if you started measuring 5 cm ahead, did you consistently measure 5 cm ahead your whole pregnancy? or did the number possibly vary, getting larger as you got further along (3 cm, then 5 cm, then 7 cm etc)? or some other variation?

hope that made some sense! thanks for your input!

eta: also, how early on in your pregnancy did you or your hcp notice you were measuring "big"?
#2 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 09:33 PM

Ok, well, I am currently pg with twins, so I am not speaking from extensive experience, mostly observation. I am not sure where your question is tending, so I don't know if this is what you are looking for.
I have 6 other kids (all single pgs) and my fundal height was right on (as in at 20 wks, 20 cm, 32 wks, 32 cm and so on) with 3 pgs, always bigger with one pg and always smaller with 2 pg. The thing that seemed to matter is that there was progress from month to month, regardless of how much. Until baby dropped, and then it was different, obviously.
I was reading some of the twin birth stories and ranges of fundal height were amazing. One surprise (as in didn't know she was carrying twins) had a fundal height of 42 cm at term. I read another birth story where I think the lady had a fundal height of something like 50 cm at term. I think fundal height depends on more that just baby(ie)'s growth. So, the point is, I don't think there are any hard or fast rules about figuring out what height your fundus may reach. Very interesting question, though, I have thought that one myself.
BTW, at 14 wks, my fundus was about 18cm.
#3 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 09:42 PM

I first found out there were twins at 14 weeks and I measured 18cm. I was measured last at 34 weeks and I was measuring 38cm. In between those measurements I varied anywhere from 3-7cm ahead. It kind of bounced all over the place and I would measure 6cm ahead one time and then two weeks later measure 4cm ahead. It didn't really follow any consistent pattern. I just kept getting bigger .

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#4 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 09:46 PM

I was measuring about 20 weeks when I was 11 weeks. I think most twin moms measure about ten weeks ahead, but it varies from person to person.

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#5 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

thank you soooo much for your replies! :heart

in case you're curious why i asked , this is my 6th pg, 3rd "viable" pg. with my other 2 dc's i always measured right on. one dc was tiny and the other dc was average-to-big.

this pg i am measuring 5 cm ahead, consistently since 7 wks. i have not had a u/s, but i am thinking more and more that i should get one. idk, this pregnancy is completely different than my other 5 so far. i have severe HG, and some other things that i never have exp in pregnancy or life, even. ftr, i have never even thought i was pg with twins with any of my other pregnancies, so even these feelings are a revelation.

*sigh*

keep 'em coming mamas! i may yet get the courage to get an u/s.
#6 of 14 Old 01-24-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
thank you soooo much for your replies! :heart

in case you're curious why i asked , this is my 6th pg, 3rd "viable" pg. with my other 2 dc's i always measured right on. one dc was tiny and the other dc was average-to-big.

this pg i am measuring 5 cm ahead, consistently since 7 wks. i have not had a u/s, but i am thinking more and more that i should get one. idk, this pregnancy is completely different than my other 5 so far. i have severe HG, and some other things that i never have exp in pregnancy or life, even. ftr, i have never even thought i was pg with twins with any of my other pregnancies, so even these feelings are a revelation.

*sigh*

keep 'em coming mamas! i may yet get the courage to get an u/s.
Oooooohhhhh...interesting. For what it's worth, the twins were my third pregnancy and I had always measured 2-3cm's behind so when everyone (myself included) kept saying it was because it was my third pregnancy I didn't really believe it. I mean...I did because the thought of twins freaked me out but really I think I kind of knew deep down and I wasn't completely surprised to find out there were two babies. Shocked yes but not surprised if that makes sense. Although I've seen enough posts to know that it can go the other way too.

Keep us posted .

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#7 of 14 Old 01-25-2010, 12:03 AM

I've never been measured but I know I've always been "bigger" and my story is a lot like Karen's. Everyone told me I was bigger because I was PG with my third. So, I put the thought of twins in the back of my head, I didn't want twins so it couldn't be twins. Talking myself out of the possibility led to a major shock at the u/s.

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
#8 of 14 Old 01-25-2010, 02:22 AM

With my third and fourth babies, I measured around 5-7 cm ahead until about 32 weeks when it evened back out to more "normal". I'd had a bunch of babies all close together.

With the twins, at 16 weeks my MW palpated and guessed I was about 18 weeks but didn't actually measure. Totally consistent with my previous pregnancies. At my 20 week prenatal, I measured 28 cm!!!!! Shock. Awe. An U/S later that day revealed twins. I then measured pretty much between 9-11 weeks ahead of where I was gestationally. I ended up at 50cm at my last prenatal at 38 weeks.

Good luck!
#9 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 02:08 PM

I'm at 17 wks and measuring 26. Lots of ice cream I guess.

DH and I are expecting twins July 15. Holy crap wish us luck.
#10 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 06:32 PM

My twins were my 3rd and 4th pregnancies (2nd and 3rd viable pregnancies). I measured anywhere from 8 to 10 weeks ahead. At 14 weeks, I was measured to be at 24 cm.
#11 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molliejo View Post
I was measuring about 20 weeks when I was 11 weeks. I think most twin moms measure about ten weeks ahead, but it varies from person to person.

Oh thank goodness!

DH and I are expecting twins July 15. Holy crap wish us luck.
#12 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 09:59 PM

I have measured ahead everytime.. but not the same everytime. it usually bounces between 9cm-11cm every check.

Mother to 3 wonderful boys. Doula, MW apprentice, Photographer, Foster/adoptive mom, twin mom and advocate for much.
#13 of 14 Old 01-27-2010, 11:52 AM

At the beginning, I measure 5 cm ahead. By second trimester, I was up around 7-8 cm ahead. At the very end (37.5 weeks) I was almost 10 cm ahead and they were over 6.5 lbs each.

With my other two PG, I measured right on or a tiny bit small. We caught the twins at dating U/S at 7 weeks.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#14 of 14 Old 01-27-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas! i am measuring 24 wks now, at 16 1/2 wks along. hmmmmmmm............

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page