valco single + toddler seat for twins? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 01-25-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hoping someone has an opinion, I'm looking at a good price on one of these otherwise it would not have been a consideration at all. I try to avoid using a double stroller if at all possible and normally wear one baby on my back and use a single stroller, but some places don't let you wear babies on your back (like our museum, grrrr) and sometimes for things like doctor's appts it would be nice if I were baby-free and both babies were contained. I have been eyeballing double joggers for a while but can't commit to one. I have a double tandem and I hate it, only use it when I have to. The Valco single with the toddler seat is super comapct BUT 1. I am reading scattered reports of it being tippy/hard to steer when toddler seat is in use and 2. I don't know if you can really put two older kids in this configuration? Maybe it's best with an older child who wants to see around, in front, and an infant, who won't complain so much, in the normal seat.

Has anyone used this confuration with twins and what do you have to say about it?

Thanks

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have this strollr and the toddler seat can not put the heavier older child in the toddler seat it will tip over and would be impossible to stear. I put the two year old up there and the 4 year old in the regualr seat. He can see fine from down there. I like the stoller ok but with the toddler it is hard to stear and it is for sure tippy.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#3 of 5 Old 01-25-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Do you know how old your stroller is? The one I am looking at is from 2005. Seems they made some changes since then and some say there is less room for the kid in back, with the newer ones - but maybe they did that to make it less tippy? Lower profile = less tippy?

One of my girls is smaller than the other by a good 6 pounds (she's been consistantly 20% smaller since birth) so I guess putting her in front would make it less tippy - she's 24 pounds or so - but eventually she'll get big, too. Maybe this would help me only in the short term but in the long term be a bad idea...

How much does your 2 year old weigh? Thoughts on at what weight this becomes impractical?

Thanks for the fast reply!

nak DS S 4/1/11

#4 of 5 Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My 2 year old weighs about 25-29 pounds. I think my stroller is from about 2005.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#5 of 5 Old 01-25-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

I'm assuming by toddler you mean the 2 year old. My son was my first and with such a long lag between him and his sisters (4 1/2 years) I think I may have referred to him as "toddler" longer than he really was.

It's probably not the best idea, then. The smaller baby is used to being worn - she tried to climb out of carts and strollers - so if she's all wiggly and uncooperative, she might knock the whole thing over. The bigger one is more placid but is also ... bigger. Bummer. It seems like a killer deal, $250 for the stroller, seat, plus hitchiker board.

nak DS S 4/1/11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page