Multiple Mamas Rollcall - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 04-27-2004, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I am a SAHM to B/G twins born 2/2/2004 via c-section due to sever preeclampsia. My BP was 200/112 the day they were born (36 wks exactly). We are exclusive breastfeeders and coslept for a while--not enough room in our bed! Our daughter, Eliza, is now sleeping through the night in her crib and is a good napper. Our son, Chapman, is working his way towards sleeping through the night. He still spends most of the night cuddled up in mommy's boobies. I am trusting that he is growing toward needing his own space and am trying not to rush him, though I am looking forward to a full night's sleep.

I can't wait to get to know some "Mothering" mamas of multiples.

Beth
#62 of 80 Old 04-27-2004, 03:54 PM

Hi!

I am a SAHM to B/G twins born 2/2/2004 via c-section due to severe preeclampsia. My BP was 200/112 the day they were born (36 wks exactly). We are exclusive breastfeeders and coslept for a while--not enough room in our bed! Our daughter, Eliza, is now sleeping through the night in her crib and is a good napper. Our son, Chapman, is working his way towards sleeping through the night. He still spends most of the night cuddled up in mommy's boobies. I am trusting that he is growing toward needing his own space and am trying not to rush him, though I am looking forward to a full night's sleep.

I can't wait to get to know some "Mothering" mamas of multiples.

Beth
#63 of 80 Old 04-27-2004, 05:44 PM

Welcome Kathy and Beth,

Wow, Kathy, I can't imagine what it's like to not find out you have twins until they're both there. We had a few months to adjust to the idea and we still weren't prepared!

I had mine vaginally, first one was head first and the smaller of the two and the second one was not only bigger, but foot first. But She came out after a lot of pushing and pulling and a big epesiotomy.

They'll be 3 tomorrow and they are just beginning to sleep with their big sister on two twin beds pushed together, but I end up in there too by the end of the night. Before that they were on a mattress on our floor, before that, in a side car arranged crib by the bed, before that in our bed with a bed rail. So, we've done many arrangements.

Ok, I've got a party to prepare,
Bye Bye
#64 of 80 Old 04-27-2004, 09:30 PM

Lazucchini/Kathy and Greentea

Kathy congratulations on your new sweet baby girls! Your story is just uplifting, it almost brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing birth!

And Greentea congratulations on your new bundles too!! How wonderful to be nursing both of them. You deserve a big pat on the back - we all know how hard that is (and how wonderful!). Sleeping through the night now is a rarity -- it WILL happen eventually! "Cuddled up in mamas boobies" sounds just about exactly like my life back then! What a great mama!

Amandzia : : to your "big kids"!!
#65 of 80 Old 05-04-2004, 05:36 PM

Hi! I am a mother of almost 2 year old identical twin girls. They were born 2 hrs and 13 minutes apart. Yes, I was counting. I thought they would be born closer together. My theory is that Monica made herself at home once sister Meredith was born. Finally! Room to move around!!

My girls were born at 36 weeks 1 day (I was induced at 36 weeks exactly but I'm slow). I had severe preeclampsia like some others of you, which is why they had to be born early. They were 4 lbs 5 oz, and 5 lbs 10 oz. Monica (baby B) came home right away, but Meredith had to stay for 2 1/2 weeks... ugh what a sad way to start life. On the bright side, however, they are both so healthy and gorgeous now, and weigh the same and are the same height.

I'm really happy to be part of this special group, blessed with twins!

CurlyTop
#66 of 80 Old 05-04-2004, 05:38 PM

Welcome CurlyTop
#67 of 80 Old 05-04-2004, 10:27 PM

CurlyTop!! Welcome!

Guess what.... our twins were born on the same day!

My dd and ds were born at 1:29PM and 1:49PM that Saturday (5/18/02)!!!

It's hard to believe they'll be two!

They were born at 32 weeks - just good ol fashioned preterm labor - but forunately they were fairly big and very healthy 4 and 4.5 pounders. By 9 months, you'd never know they were early. Now dd is 34.5" and 27 pounds and ds (who's always been our stringbean) is 33.5" and 24 pounds!
#68 of 80 Old 05-05-2004, 01:01 AM

Periwinkle, I can't believe our babies were all born on the same day! Neat

My DD1 (Meredith) was born at 4:13 pm pdt and DD2 (Monica) was born at 6:26 pm pdt. They were 17" 4 lbs 5oz; and 18" 5 lbs 10oz at birth. They are both about 35" and 25lbs now.

You and I are both very lucky that our kids show no signs of being born early and are in fact very healthy and perfect! I agree, I can't believe they're almost 2. What are you doing for their birthday?

We're going on a 4 hour plane trip to see family for the first time (well, Monica and I went once before for my grandma's funeral but this is the first time we'll all be there together). I'm throwing an old fashioned cake & ice cream party for 30 family members. I'm soooo excited!

Thanks for the great welcome, everyone!
CurlyTop
#69 of 80 Old 05-06-2004, 10:45 AM

Hi I am a mom to 9 yr old twin boys, Tyler and Travis. They will be 10 Oct. 1st. We don't know if they are identicle or not but the doctor thinks they are. Most people cannot tell them apart. I would love to get a test done to know for sure but it costs a lot of money from what I'm told.

My twins were born 6 weeks early and weighed 4lbs 1oz and 4lbs 12oz at birth. They are still small for their age now. At almost 10 years old they both barely weigh 50 pounds. Tyler is 48 inches tall and Travis is 50 inches.

I also have two younger sons, Zachary age 7 and Chase age 4.

I hope to get to know you all soon
#70 of 80 Old 05-06-2004, 04:03 PM

Hi Chattymom,
In the back of TwinsMagazine there are a couple of ads for the genetics test. It costs a little over a hundred dollars and I thought it was worth it. They send a kit to swab their mouths, you wipe the swabs on special papers and mail it back.
If your boys have different blood types, they are dizygotic. If you have the copy of the report on the placenta(s), that can help. If there's only one amnionic sac or only one chorion sack, they are monozygotic. If there are two of each kind of sack, then who knows. Dizygotic twins can look very much alike. Ours sure do. And monozygotic twins can have differences. They have the same genes, but conditions in the womb, durring birth, or later can effect how they look and grow and sometimes for no apparent reason, one will have a particular gene "turned on" and the other won't. So, it may be important for you and your kids to know or maybe not. There are many useful medical and developemental reasons why people want to know, but we did the test out of old fashioned curiosity.
#71 of 80 Old 05-07-2004, 02:06 PM

I have never heard of those terms, I always thought there was just identicle or fraternal. When my twins were born I was told they could not tell by the placenta because it was so big they could not tell if it was one big one or two fused together. They said the only way was a DNA test. They have the same blood type, they are both A- and the doctor thinks they are identicle because I have dark brown eyes and their father has blue eyes and he said the chances of them both getting blue eyes would be rare since brown is dominant, so if fraternal it would have been unlikely for them to both have blue eyes, but they both do and they have the same exact hair except that their parts are on the opposite side like as if looking in a mirror. Travis is about an inch and a half taller and a couple pounds heavier than Tyler.
#72 of 80 Old 05-07-2004, 05:25 PM

A lot of people are using monozygotic instead of identical and dizygotic instead of fraternal because it's more accurate. Monozygotic = one egg
Dizygotic= two eggs Not all "identical" are completely identical so many people are avoiding that term.
As far as the eye thing- if you have brown eyes, you might have two brown eye genes and therefore will never give birth to a blue eyed baby. It only takes one brown eye gene to make brown eyes but it takes two blue eye genes to make blue eyes. Your husband has two blue eye genes and you may have both brown eye genes or one brown and one blue. So your husband can only contribute a blue one. If you have any kids with blue eyes, then you defininately have one blue eye gene. If you do have a blue eye gene, each of your children will have exactly a 50% chance of having blue eyes.
Genetics can be confusing, but I think it's fun to study.

I feel like the test was worth it for us. It costs a lot but it's so easy to do and I think my girls will appreciate knowing when they're older because from what I've read about twins, the kind of twin they are is really part of their identity. But it's no rush. When and if your kids really want to know for sure, they'll let you know.
#73 of 80 Old 05-14-2004, 11:26 PM

Guess I should introduce myself although I feel really out of place posting here.

My twins were born at 29w5d by emergency c-section - they are TTTS survivors. We found out we were having twins at my 19 wk u/s and found out about the TTTS at 22 weeks so we had 3 weeks of "two babies?!" to sheer panic. One of the high risk OB's we saw basically told us to hope that we made it to viability and even if we did, we'd be lucky to bring one or none of our babies home. Nice... They were 1lb14oz and 2lb7oz at birth - vented for 30 days each. We tried valiently to nurse and it was not possible but they got 4 mths of exclusive EBM apart from I'm sure a bottle or two of formula in hospital.

Andrew was diagnosed with PVL (periventricular leukomalacia) on his head ultrasound at 1 mth of age which meant he was at great risk of developmental delays. He came home at 8 wks of age, 2 wks before his EDD. He was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at 6 months of age - he had gone to physio therapy weekly since that time. He has far surpassed what 95% of the doctor's told us was possible and he's a wonderful kid - apart from physical handicaps, there doesn't appear to be any mental handicaps.

Matt was truly touch & go the first 10 days and it was the longest 2 weeks of my life. He developed ROP and needed laser eye surgery before he came home from the NICU. He finally came home after 3 mths - 2 wks after his EDD. He has worn glasses since 12-15 mths of age.

Both of the boys started jr. kindergarden this past Sept (at age 4) and they are loving school. They both attend a specialized school where they can receive the extra help that they require - they both get physical therapy (Matt has extremely mild CP affecting his ankles and his wrists) and occupational therapy at school. They are in small classes of 7 kids (in separate classes). Matt will stay one more year to ensure that his fine motor skills are a little closer to where he should be and he will go to the neighbourhood school starting at grade 1. Andrew will hopefully follow him in grade 2 or 3 - we're waiting to see how the neighbourhood school does with Matt first!

We added another son to our family in Feb 2003 and my pregnancy & delivery was extremely healing. Charlie was born by VBAC under the care of a wonderful midwife in hospital on his due date! Sadly, our nursing relationship just didn't work after lots of work with 2 lactation consultants, lots of milk, etc. So my pump & I resumed our relationship. *sigh*

But we're loving having 3 busy busy boys! (And we haven't ruled out the possibility of adding one more to the clan)
#74 of 80 Old 05-17-2004, 01:31 AM

Hi,
I am new here and I am 29 weeks and 3 days pregnant with my second set of twins (no fertility help). My first set are fraternal boys and will be 9 in July. I had them in the hospital with very little interventions. I hope this labor and delivery go as well as the first. My boys were born at 36 weeks weighing 4lb7oz and 4lbs8oz naturally and vaginally. They never left my side and went home with me 12 hours after the birth. It was an amazing experience. We found out we are having a boy and a girl this time. We are so excited to be having twins again. I think my only fear is that baby a will be breach. I read an earlier post where someone said pulsatilla helped turn the baby?? Any advice or experiences regarding versions would be greatly apreciated. Anything to avoid a c-sect.
Kandace
#75 of 80 Old 05-17-2004, 10:49 AM

welcome to the new moms!

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#76 of 80 Old 05-17-2004, 12:50 PM

2SetsofTwins,
Welcome and congradulations. My OB said she delivers vaginally unless the first one is breech. She delivered mine vaginally. Daphne was first and head down, Fiona was second and foot first. Some OB's and Midwives are skilled in turning a baby by manipulating him/her from the outside. I've heard of excersizes you can do to encourage them to turn, but I don't know what they are exactly nor if they really work. Does anybody else know about this?
#77 of 80 Old 05-18-2004, 06:33 PM

Hello all. My girls will be 6 weeks old this Friday. They were born at home at 39 weeks. They were 6.8 and 7.10 pounds and almost 7 hours apart!!! I have an almost 3 year old daughter who was also born at home. I'm hopefully going to test them soon to find out their zygotic status. They look dizygotic. They each had two seperate sacs and there was one placenta. We were initially planning to UC this prenancy until 23 weeks when we found out it was twins, so we used a midwife. The labor was very long, but everything was succesful. The girls have gained very well since they were born. I am a little tired of nursing all the time. I nursed my daughter for over 2 years until the middle of this pregnancy and then I had a very uncomfortable pregnancy. Now I nurse all the time. It feels like I haven't had a break!!! That's motherhood, isn't it! It's great to be among so many other twin moms.
#78 of 80 Old 05-18-2004, 08:01 PM

Welcome and congradulations. Yeh, I remember the constant nursing. At least it gives you an excuse to sit down a lot. Mine just weaned a few months ago.
My sister has 5 kids and has been nursing almost non-stop for 15 years and still going strong.
#79 of 80 Old 05-20-2004, 01:20 AM

WOW!!! 15 years!!

My dr. said as long as the first baby is vertex he will deliver vaginally and won't matter in which position the second baby is in. I just want to know what my options are if the first baby is not vertex. My first pregnancy was great, both babies were vertex and vaginal and birthed drugfree. I KNOW this biirth will go as great as the first!!
Kandace
#80 of 80 Old 05-20-2004, 01:20 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page