weight loss and breastfeeding 9 mo twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-03-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so, my twinks are 9 months and a little developmentally delayed, so no sitting up and eating solids yet - they are still full-time breastfed babes. up until a month ago i tried to not be bothered by the 25 pounds of extra weight hanging onto my body because i only wanted to worry about giving them enough milk...but the past few weeks have been rough, my back hurts, my knees hurt when i run, and i groan when i look at myself in the mirror before taking a shower...i simply need to get this extra weight off (i'm no longer under the illusion that it will "fall off" like it did with my first).

did any of you do weight watchers while breastfeeding your twins?
#2 of 14 Old 02-03-2010, 05:18 PM

Nope, but I know quite a few bfing moms of singletons who have used WW successfully.

Me personally, I've had a TERRIBLE time controlling my eating since nursing the twins. I was just ravenous all. the. time. Now that they are starting to really wean it's getting to where I think I can actively lose weight because I don't need to eat a ton of food all day every day. Good luck Mama! We should start a "Weight Loss for MoMs" board.
#3 of 14 Old 02-03-2010, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

i'd be up for that board! i think we have unique weight loss concerns!!!
#4 of 14 Old 02-04-2010, 10:51 AM

don't throw tomatoes, but i'm actually losing too much weight. eek. still don't find the time to eat enough and babies are taking my muscle and brain now

this lady is INSPIRATIONAL though. fellow twin mama, babywears and weight watches:

http://incredibleshrinkingjoy.blogspot.com/

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#5 of 14 Old 02-04-2010, 02:03 PM

I'm currently doing ww and nursing 13 month old twins (who do eat solid food x3/day). It's actually been really easy (I also have about 25 lbs to lose, but I had that before I got pg). Before I started ww I was pretty much eating everything in sight, but not gaining any weight...it seemed like a crazy amount of food so I figured if I just cut out some of that I would lose...and it happened...10 lbs so far in less than a month (which I know is a bit much and I'm thinking it will be slower in the next month). Just make sure you add in extra 'points' for nursing 2 babies...I'm doing the online version and in the quiz it asks you about nursing, but it doesn't ask you how many babies! So, you can go in and adjust your points maximum so I just did that to account for that extra energy required to make baby milk

I was a pretty adamant anti-dieter before this, but I feel like a new woman already! Oh, except for the fact that the smaller my waist gets the more noticeable my twin skin seems to get

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09
#6 of 14 Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Count me in too, kinda. We do have unique issues! I started eating more late into the pregnancy, trying to make sure I got enough protein. Then when the babes were born, well, wow. I've never eaten so much in my life. And now that the nursing has lessened up, the appetite is still there. And the lack of time. The thought that you better grab what you can to eat now, because who knows when there'll be a really meal coming.

I love WW and have been thinking a lot about it, but am having a hard time committing. I want to prove it to myself that I'm serious by cutting back for a week. Then it doesn't work. I need help but don't know about paying money . . . which leads to not doing it.

But I'll be a great cheerleader and possible participant!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#7 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 AM

Oh good I'm glad I'm not the only one that is eating more than I ever have in my life. I gave myself permission to eat a ton when I was pregnant...now I just eat so much all the time. I just have such a hard time actually "preparing" healthy foods. Are you kidding me?! I can barely get dinner on the table...period! I unfortunately have at least 50lbs to lose (and I hate my skin...it just makes me want to cry). So those of you that are doing WW now, or have or are doing it on the internet...you know how you get an additional 10 points for a totally breastfeeding baby? Does that mean you get 20 points? Dang and I have had the biggest sweet tooth ever since I got pregnant! I don't usually even really like sweets all that much! We should start a "weight loss for twin mamas" group TOTALLY!
#8 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

does anyone know?

also, suzyQ - how many extra points did you add to your daily points? i read on the WW board that someone just used all their flex points to account for the 2nd twin. i'm on day three and am so happy I signed up - it is making me realize that this weight is hanging on because i eat A TON!! so hard to shift from that mentality of wanting to gain 50 to 60 pounds during pregnancy to eating like a normal person again.
#9 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 01:10 PM

Just another momma of twins who had great success with WW chiming in! I was nursing three when I started June of 2008 (DD1 was 25 months, DS and DD2 were three months). I went way over my points and still lost a large amount of weight in five months (199 to 155, so 44 pounds). I would say I went about 5-6 points over everyday, as well as using all my flex and activity points. I agree with pp that I could NOT gain weight no matter what I ate, it's still that way mostly and the twins are 23 months (DD1 self-weaned last year). It is crazy. I feel like that is the big bonus for all the nursing hours I have put in! I am also pretty active. Running and going to aerobics are my only mental health break from the kids, so I go 4 times a week for about an hour when DH gets home at night.
I would LOVE a twin mommas weight loss/management thread!
#10 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 01:38 PM

Is everyone on Facebook or willing to start an account? We could make a group there and post support and progress in the discussions.

I am starting the Body for Life program on Monday. I'm better off than most of you though because my babies are only nursing once, MAYBE twice a day so I'm not making nearly as much milk.

I'll make the group and if you want to join, I'll post the link here.
#11 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 01:50 PM

I left it as an open group (for now, spammers might change my mind!) so if you have a FB account, you can join up! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...0892825&ref=nf
#12 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 09:18 PM

Oh yea! I'm so excited! I'm joined up...hope others will do the same, I need LOTS of motivation!
#13 of 14 Old 02-06-2010, 12:00 AM

I joined but am not sure how it groups work so I may take a bit to contribute. My facebook is Dena Rose. I have 3 month old girls who nurse a ton and I have managed to gain12 lbs since coming home from the hospital. I don't even think I am eating that much and am doing c25k for exercise. I had a terrible time with weight while bfing my son as well. Looking forward to some ideas...

Dena
#14 of 14 Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxma View Post
does anyone know?

also, suzyQ - how many extra points did you add to your daily points? i read on the WW board that someone just used all their flex points to account for the 2nd twin. i'm on day three and am so happy I signed up - it is making me realize that this weight is hanging on because i eat A TON!! so hard to shift from that mentality of wanting to gain 50 to 60 pounds during pregnancy to eating like a normal person again.
I think what I did was ran the quiz answering "yes" to bfing and then "no" and figured it was 4 or 5 points (I can't remember, and that's for babies that are eating solids as well). I then did the 'adjust your points' thing and went up by 3 or as many as it lets you. I also use up those weekly points...though sometimes with a glass of wine

and mom_of_steele I too suddenly started craving sweet things when I started bfing my 2...like HUGE amounts of desserts, sugar, you name it...I had always been a savoury person, like potato chips are my downfall, but something about nursing twins seems to require chocolate, and lots of it

And hands down to those of you who find time to exercise . I work FT outside the home and have 2 older children...there's just no room for the gym right now but just by changing my eating habits I've been pretty successful.

I'll check out the facebook group!

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page