High hCG levels early on...can that mean twins? - Mothering Forums
Parenting Multiples > High hCG levels early on...can that mean twins?
stellamia's Avatar stellamia 06:10 AM 02-11-2010
I hope it's ok to post this here....it's the only twin area I could find on MDC and I know if I post it in the TTC area that it won't be answered by people as educated in twin-dom as you Mamas!!

I got my BFP at 10 DPO and at 13 DPO my hCG levels were 158. I'm having my 2nd blood draw in 11 hrs at 15 DPO and hopefully the numbers have doubled!

I realize that I probably just implanted really early (I'm sure about my O date) but I'm curious if anyone else carrying twins had high hcg early on??

I appreciate any responses!! I'm hoping it's twins but trying to be realistic. I wasn't on any fertility meds but have been taking Maca for months (to balance my hormones) and that has caused hyperovulation in some cases....

lovebug's Avatar lovebug 06:53 AM 02-11-2010
here is a great site for hCG levels. it goes by days past O...
http://www.betabase.info/

and here is the chart for twins
http://www.betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Twin
f&p'smama's Avatar f&p'smama 03:40 PM 02-11-2010
That's about what my levels were with both my twins and my singleton. With my twins, my beta did not double in 48 hours, I think it was 72, and I was sure there was only 1 and I was going to lose the baby. With my singleton, it did double in 48 hours.

Super high betas can indicate twins, but they may not.

Good luck to you!
Katie T's Avatar Katie T 01:09 AM 02-12-2010
I have a friend who had rapidly rising HGc levels had a healthy baby boy. Hoping you get what you want!
stellamia's Avatar stellamia 02:53 AM 02-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
here is a great site for hCG levels. it goes by days past O...
http://www.betabase.info/

and here is the chart for twins
http://www.betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Twin
Thanks so much!!! My level is over double what's average for singleton and 30 mIu higher than the average twin #!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f&p'smama View Post
That's about what my levels were with both my twins and my singleton. With my twins, my beta did not double in 48 hours, I think it was 72, and I was sure there was only 1 and I was going to lose the baby. With my singleton, it did double in 48 hours.

Super high betas can indicate twins, but they may not.

Good luck to you!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T View Post
I have a friend who had rapidly rising HGc levels had a healthy baby boy. Hoping you get what you want!
I don't know if mine are rising rapidly...I just know they're VERY high for how early I am. But I'm happy with one or two!! I'm just so grateful to be pregnant! Thanks so much!
sbgrace's Avatar sbgrace 03:04 AM 02-12-2010
Congratulations on your pregnancy!
Mine were very high. I can't remember the numbers but I know the reproductive endo nurse told me she expected twins (which was silly of her to say because really you can have high numbers w/ a singleton too).
lexbeach's Avatar lexbeach 10:31 PM 02-13-2010
Mine was 405 at 14 dpo with my first pregnancy. I definitely thought that I was having twins based on the HCG numbers (and I had taken clomid). We confirmed the two babies with u/s at 6 weeks. My doctor said that my HCG levels didn't necessarily indicate twins, but said there was probably about a 90% chance.

With my second pregnancy, my level was 237 at 13 dpo. Again, I suspected twins. But there was only one! (And I was quite relieved).

With our third pregnancy (my wife's womb), the HCG level was 255 at 14 dpo (and my wife is a fraternal twin, so we wondered again about multiples). Just one baby!

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Lex
Scalpel's Avatar Scalpel 02:00 PM 03-23-2010
I knew I had at least 3 eggs at the time of IUI and I had been on injectables so right there was what did it but I remember having my blood drawn around 6 week of pregnancy and the phlebot at the clinic saying that my hcg levels are very high and the docs thinks twins but not trips....after hyerventilating a bit I was thinking that she probably wrong or making and educated guess but low and behold she was correct and we saw 2 heartbeats!!!
Stream's Avatar Stream 06:01 PM 03-23-2010
Good luck! My levels were exceptionally high-- so high that we worried we had a splitter (we did IVF and transferred two embryos). 1416 at 15dpo and 2976 at 17dpo. I'm carrying (just) twins, but I've seen other twin mamas through IVF with crazy-low numbers and singletons with high numbers. Like everything else, you can make guesses based on numbers, but there are no givens!
Up