How do you go shopping??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-11-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I'm contemplating a trip to target today. I'm thinking I'm going to bring the double snap n go stroller but carry one baby in a wrap, and use the empty bucket as my shopping basket. Any other thoughts? They're getting too big to wear both together in the wrap, but still too small to wear one on my back.

Thanks!!!!

Leah mom to Delilah 9/00, angel Stephen lost 5/25/09 at 40 weeks, and twins Gus and Cash 1/10

Expecting a miracle January 2012

#2 of 23 Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 AM

That sounds like a good idea. At that age I would usually wear one and keep the other in their carseat in the store cart (if it was suitable) or used the double or single stroller.

Have fun!

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#3 of 23 Old 03-11-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Marmalade View Post
That sounds like a good idea. At that age I would usually wear one and keep the other in their carseat in the store cart (if it was suitable)
We did just that!

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#4 of 23 Old 03-11-2010, 10:06 PM

i shopped with both in the snap+go and used the basket underneath when they were really small, timed it so they'd be sleeping!
#5 of 23 Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 AM

Self-bribery. "If I make it through this trip I will treat myself to xyz." Probably not the answer you were looking for.

I would also wear one and put one in the carseat in the cart - of course squalling the whole way, but what can ya do, you have to do what you have to do sometimes.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#6 of 23 Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 AM

Fast forward a little bit and you might look like I did yesterday - pushing a shopping cart full of three toddlers (DD is almost 3, twins are almost 1.5) and pulling a cart full of groceries. Then 15 minutes into the trip, DD announces that she has to pee - BAD, so I head off to find the bathroom. Then I have to figure out how to get DD in without taking the boys out of the cart, since she isn't big enough to get on the potty by herself.

And that is how I ended up inside the grocery store bathroom, holding DD on the potty, with the stall door open and the entire shopping cart containing two screaming/laughing boys in the bathroom, blocking the door. Two women tried to come in, but saw the chaos and made their escape.

Lucky me!

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#7 of 23 Old 03-12-2010, 02:26 AM

How did it go? You are very courageous, or I'm just a coward, or maybe both! I never did go shopping with my twins without DH until DS was able to sit in the seat and I carried DD on my back. I was really paranoid that they would both get upset at the same time and I wouldn't be able to comfort them. Walks around town, sure, no problem, but the idea of shopping stressed me out, and I was afraid they'd feed off of my vibe.

I actually took shopping time (and we're talking grocery and the very limited number of stores in my town) as 'me' time when my twins were babies. The closest big stores are an hour away, and so we would have had to make a day of it. Now they will be 3 in June and highly protest the stroller while we go about town doing errands. I definitely feel a wave with twins, life is tricky, then we find our groove, then tricky again.......

Nikki, mama to DD and DS1 twins.gif (6/07) and DS2 babyboy.gif (10/10) 
#8 of 23 Old 03-12-2010, 05:23 AM

Joanna! Add a trio of older kids and you have my weekly trips to the grocery store and Target!

Hang cloth bags from your double stroller and you can load those with the things you need that are small and tend to get "lost" in the stroller. That's handy for the grocery store, too. I always ALWAYS bring a carrier as back up because Ben is an absolute pill about going in the stroller these days (21 months).
#9 of 23 Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions Mamas!!! We made it to Target and it went well! I went with my plan of using the snap n go and wearing one baby. I also brought cloth bags to hold stuff. The babies slept most of the time, but I figured if they started crying we could always sit down, or if worse came to worse, abandon our stuff and go home. The store is only about a 5 minute drive from home.

Wondertwins, I am not so much courageous as desperate. DH has been working from like 9 am until 10 pm every day. He is planning on working all weekend. My dad has been picking DD up from school and taking her to her after school stuff. I HAVE NOT been out of the house at all (besides babies' peds appt) other than to take DD to skating lessons before school and to one competition...So I was losing it! Only in the last three days have we even been able to go for a walk around the neighborhood because the weather has been so bad. And Target is my "thing" so I'm SO glad I can actually go whenever I want and get my fix. It makes me feel so much better lol!

Leah mom to Delilah 9/00, angel Stephen lost 5/25/09 at 40 weeks, and twins Gus and Cash 1/10

Expecting a miracle January 2012

#10 of 23 Old 03-12-2010, 02:54 PM

I too feel the fear of shopping with twins! The odds are just so much greater that with 2 babies, one or both is bound to end up screaming! Things I try to remember: (1) I can just leave if things get bad; (2) I can duck into a dressing room, where I can sit down and feed them (granted, this technique is much easier with one baby, but still do-able with twins, esp. if one of them is not screaming...). I've actually thought about putting a boppy or a pillow into the bottom of the stroller for this reason alone, but then where would I put any of my purchases? Twins are such a juggling act!!!
#11 of 23 Old 03-14-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
That sounds like a good idea. At that age I would usually wear one and keep the other in their carseat in the store cart (if it was suitable)
I am not that brave yet

I prefer to have the twins in the stroller, and at least one twin sleeping. I get too freaked out/nervous if they both start crying.

...now what happens when they are no longer in the bucket seat?? oh boy...more fun!

Mommy to Katherine (June '05) , Calvin (born an angel on January 25, 2009 at 29.5 weeks gestation) , and Samuel and Sabrina (December '09)
#12 of 23 Old 03-28-2010, 07:46 PM

Use two carts. (Push one, pull one behind you.)

While mine were still in "buckets" I could fit two of them in their carseats in one cart (at some stores), and pull another for the groceries. Or, I could put one bucket in each cart.

I used the two cart method till they were at least 3 yo. I found it pretty easy actually.

Re: nursing . . . if you pick a store with a pharmacy, there's usually a waiting area where you can sit and nurse. Also, I would usually nurse them in the car right before going into the store so they'd be relatively happy.
#13 of 23 Old 03-28-2010, 07:59 PM

I either used the triple stroller (which had a pretty nice sized basket underneath), Or I used a baby seat cart to put one baby in (and put my items in the basket part) and then put my toddler into the child seat part of another basket and a baby bucket with the other baby into the basket of that cart). I prefered the former at all possible, it was much safer than the latter. If you have just the twins, I would put them in the double stroller, and use a cart to haul groceries.

Or see if any of the local grocery stores have a delivery service.

I also said "yes" when employees asked if they could help me out of the store.
#14 of 23 Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 PM

I have been really worried about how I would be able to shop with newborn twins and a 2-year-old. I figured I would put one baby in a sling, one in the carseat in the basket of the cart and the toddler in the seat of the cart. But where would I put the groceries? I hadn't thought about pulling a second cart behind me. I guess I am already going to look like I escaped from the zoo, so I may as well pull a second cart around to add to the sight.
#15 of 23 Old 03-30-2010, 01:15 PM

The two shopping cart system is good.

With regular, single-seated shopping carts, I have gone through 3 systems depending on how old the kids were.

a) triple stroller ahead, shopping cart behind
b) One on back, one on front, one in cart.
c) One in each of two carts, one walking.

Where we are, one of the grocery chains uses shopping carts that seat two kids and I only shop there when I have all three toddlers so I just use 2 carts with 3 sitting kids or 1 cart with one kid walking.

It won't be long before my kids don't fit in those shopping cart seats, and then I don't know how I'm going to manage.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#16 of 23 Old 03-30-2010, 02:04 PM

We have those carts at our Dillions Kate. It fits two in the car part and two in the top seats. I usually put the twins up with me and then the older four fight over who gets to drive. Yes, the eight year old included.
#17 of 23 Old 03-30-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
Yes, the eight year old included.
Oh man, my 7-1/2 year old is the worst

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#18 of 23 Old 04-02-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Oh man, my 7-1/2 year old is the worst
WHat is is with the older kids being pills? Mine is HORRID!! I will take the younger 3 anywhere, but add ds1. . . NO WAY!

Some of these responses are too funny.

COSTCO - they have 2 seater carts!! I love them. I also wore 1 and put one in the cart for anywhere else, even when they were too big for bucket seats.

Many times they were both screaming as we left. But not as much as you might think. I would just smile and say, "Naptime was an hour ago." Most people were fine. Occasionally people would ask to help, sometimes they would offer to hold a baby. I only had 1 clerk who just insisted on weighing the apple my son had already eaten. . . and was now flopping and screaming on the floor . I just handed her another apple from the bag that she already weighed and waited for her to figure it out.

Kate: you let them walk beside you with the threat of NO COOKIE AT THE END, if they take off without you. You may leave a time or 2 without the cookies, but they figure it out fast :Lol.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#19 of 23 Old 04-02-2010, 11:06 PM

I totally had it out with the aforementioned eight year old at the family doc's office the other day! I had to take all six to a necessary appt and I warned them all going in about the behavior expectations. EVERYONE (well, everyone except Ben who was the sick one) was awesomely behaved EXCEPT for my eight year old ds. I was like "it says something when your three year old sister is sitting quietly and behaving while you bounce around like you're on a sugar high". HUFF!
#20 of 23 Old 04-03-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonenamedleah View Post
So, I'm contemplating a trip to target today. I'm thinking I'm going to bring the double snap n go stroller but carry one baby in a wrap, and use the empty bucket as my shopping basket. Any other thoughts? They're getting too big to wear both together in the wrap, but still too small to wear one on my back.

Thanks!!!!
that's exactly what i did, and found it worked really well. you can always ask a staff member to carry something if it's too big for you to fit under the bucket seat.

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#21 of 23 Old 04-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyproject View Post
I have been really worried about how I would be able to shop with newborn twins and a 2-year-old. I figured I would put one baby in a sling, one in the carseat in the basket of the cart and the toddler in the seat of the cart. But where would I put the groceries? I hadn't thought about pulling a second cart behind me. I guess I am already going to look like I escaped from the zoo, so I may as well pull a second cart around to add to the sight.
If you've got three, you could always take a double stroller with a good basket underneath, and hang some bags from the handle, then carry a baby. you probably wouldn't be able to do a full grocery, though. pulling the second cart behind sounds really overwhelming to me!

For my first 8 months of so, I did a lot of shopping online from a store that would deliver. There might also be a service in your town that would shop for you as a service (free or otherwise).

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#22 of 23 Old 04-04-2010, 12:12 AM

I used to bring mine to Trader Joe's in the double stroller (this is when they were a bit bigger - 18 months or so) and just jam the basket and sunshades full of stuff. Then I'd put stuff in the girls' laps resting against the snack tray (milk, box of cereal - nothing they could mess with too badly) if I needed to and they were willing. The cashiers would die laughing at my grocery version of the "clown car." They always offered to send someone out to the car with me, groceries in a cart, and I always accepted. I think I did much the same at Target, except couldn't buy so much big or heavy stuff because I had to get it out of there myself always. I never did the push the stroller/drag the cart thing.

When we shop at TJ's now (4 years old) Lilly likes to walk and Kate likes to sit in the back of the cart and have groceries piled all around her. When she hits about chest-deep, we're finished.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#23 of 23 Old 04-06-2010, 03:32 PM

Oh that's a good idea...I have taken my twins and my 2 year old to the store before (my POTTY training 2 year old btw! NOT the best idea). I take the snap and go...put my 2 year old on a toddler harness and shove things down in the basket while shopping. Not ideal, and I usually come back REALLY frazzled, but I have done that when I had to

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page