Twins as 3rd and 4th children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 03-14-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else? When "just one more" turned into # three and four? My twins are now 7 weeks old, so I am in the midst of all the newborn twinsanity. How do you find time for your other 2 (or more) children? My 5 year-old ds is in school during the day (though summer break is quickly approaching!), but I feel sorry for my 2 year-old some days and feel like he can't possibly get the attention that he needs. When DH is home on the weekends, he does a good job of entertaining the older two, but I find myself feeling cheated out of spending the quality time that I need to spend with them -- I feel like I'm always sitting here nursing, dealing with the twins, etc.

Honestly, I struggled with this twin pregnancy from the get-go. I thought it would have gotten better once they arrived on the scene, but I still don't think I've fully accepted it. "Maybe just one more" baby turned out to be twins, much to my complete and utter shock. Right after I found out that I was pg with a 3rd, even before I knew it was twins, I started wondering if we really should have gone down that path -- when I found out it was twins, I KNEW we should not have gone down that path... I WOH part-time and do not want to give that up; ds1 goes to a private school b/c we don't think much of the public schools in the area, and now we are dealing with the cost of child care for 4 (making it seem almost financially foolish to work part-time), the eventual cost of private school for 4, etc. Not to mention that the world just doesn't seem to be designed for people with 4 or more children -- restaurants, hotel rooms, vehicles (okay, besides the mini-van), etc.

What it boils down to is -- I never in a million years would have thought that I would have had 4 children. I never in a million years would have TRIED to have 4 children. Whenever I heard of acquaintances having 4, I wonder how/why they chose to have 4, thinking they must just be totally different people than I. I feel I am just not equipped to deal with 4, and yet here I am with 4. I feel trapped, tied down, and a little imprisoned. There, I've said it! Does that make me sound like a horribly selfish person? I just keep thinking of all the travel plans that will never materialize, of all the $$ we will have to earn to keep them in good schools, the cost of college tuition x 4, etc.

Have any of you had the same thoughts? How have you come to terms with having more kids than you ever would have wanted or bargained for? I know that attitude is a huge part of it and that somehow I just need to wrap my brain around the idea that someday this will seem like a blessing, or that this was meant to happen, etc. But I'm just not there yet. Honestly, I feel like this almost happened as a cosmic/karmic joke b/c I didn't listen to my inner feelings that I should have stopped at 2 - that 2 was what I could really handle. I can appreciate the biological anomaly that twins are, and I know I am really lucky to have carried them to good birth weights. They were born healthy, thank goodness. They are nursing well; they do sleep (well, some!). Yes, newborn twins are a challenge, but mostly it's the rest of my life managing 4 children that I am worried about....Any tips/advice?? How have 4 (or more) children turned out to be a good thing? DH, god love him, is being a total Polyanna about this, but doesn't focus on practicalities or details and is leaving me to do the child care search, etc.

FINALLY, DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THE TWIN PARENTING BOOKS ONLY CONTEMPLATE TWINS AS YOUR ONLY CHILDREN, OR TWINS AND ONE OLDER SIBLING??? That's annoying. Well, this turned into quite a rant. If you've read this far, thank you, thank you!
#2 of 25 Old 03-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Hi! I'm don't have any multiples, but blundered into this forum by accident and couldn't help responding to your thread, because it spoke to me.

I have a surprise third baby who occurred when my IUD failed. He was born when I, like you, had a kindergartner and a two-year-old. Though I only have three kids, I think I understand a lot of the disappointment and frustration you're talking about.

I also had a part-time job I loved doing, and I gave up on trying to do it for over a year after my youngest baby was born. As much as I needed a break from all the kids, I just didn't think I was in any shape to do a good job. Now that my youngest is 15 months old, I'm contemplating working again, but I'm still not quite there yet. (He stopped sleeping -- sigh.) I totally admire you for working with four kids at this stage!

I do think having a new baby did some harm to my relationship with my middle kid, who just turned four. She's having some behavior issues that my oldest never had. Maybe she would have even if the third baby hadn't appeared, but I think it's probably related in some way to her new middle-child status.

I don't so much have the feelings of wishing this had never happened any longer, because now I've gotten to know my youngest a bit, but when he was seven weeks old I was still having those feelings pretty regularly -- I'd been railroaded into a probably unnecessary c-section and was dealing with my newborn's food sensitivities and still dealing with all the stuff that life entails with a kindergartner and a preschooler. I was not thrilled about it. My DH, like yours, was just thrilled to have one more kid, and he says he could always tell how much I loved Odin (the youngest), even though I wasn't always sure about it. (I'm sure about it now.)

As to the school issue, this may not encourage you, but we're in the same boat with a lousy school district, and had been contemplating private school, but when we found out about the third kid my DH talked me into to trying home education. I was extremely reluctant at first, and our first year was not without quite a few difficulties, but on the whole it's turned out really well, and now, finally, I'm halfway through first grade with my first and starting some kindergarten work with my middle kid, and I think it's going to be really good for all of us. It's taught me a lot of discipline and forced us to rethink how we do things, and has huge advantages educationally for the kid. We're in an area where homeschooling is fairly popular, and in our support group I've met several private-school "dropouts" who switched to homeschooling when private school, for one of several reasons, wasn't meeting their or their kids' needs. Anyway, it's quite a bit cheaper, and we have way more ability to fine-tune their education so that it's as efficient as possible for them in a way that's just not possible for a "real" school. I would never have thought, 10 years ago, that I would consider, let alone praise, homeschooling, but really, it's the thing that seems to work best for us now. Your mileage may vary, though!

Anyway, I feel your pain (well, half of it, anyway.) There are lots of times when I've thought about how expensive it's going to be in a few years to have all the kids in their soccer classes and music lessons and I think about how that money could do more for fewer kids. In the long run, though, it doesn't matter, and by going ahead with my third pregnancy, I've given myself and my older two kids a gift: another person who loves us, and that we can love.

Nealy
mama to Thales (7), Lydia (4), and Odin (15 months)
#3 of 25 Old 03-14-2010, 02:25 PM

I could have written this! I'm 27 weeks with my twins, so
i'm not quite there yet- but I've been freaking out about everything you just wrote. I'll be this thread

dd1 4/7/05 dd2 8/22/07 and b/g twins born 5/23/10
#4 of 25 Old 03-14-2010, 03:39 PM

Well, my situation is different, but I totally understand your feelings.

We always planned on 2 kids. DS1 was, and probably always will be, an incredibly challenging child. We debated only having the one child after we discovered who DS1 is, but decided that a sibling would be a good thing. We were in the middle of planning an international move to a city we had calculated we could afford to live in with 2 kids when I got pregnant with triplets.

Now, I love my kids, but I *hate* that I have so many. DH and I are both introverts and the noise, physical contact and chaos is driving us both crazy. We will never be able to afford things that we consider necessities for our kids because we ended up with twice as many kids as we can afford to raise that way.

I am hoping that a time will come when I don't hate it so much, but I am expecting it won't happen until the trips are 10 or older.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#5 of 25 Old 03-14-2010, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hergrace View Post
DH and I are both introverts and the noise, physical contact and chaos is driving us both crazy. We will never be able to afford things that we consider necessities for our kids because we ended up with twice as many kids as we can afford to raise that way.
Yes, yes, yes. I am also an introvert who WANTS, NEEDS time to myself. With my life as it is now, I have to stay up later than everyone else or get up earlier than everyone else to get it -- probably not the best idea when I am already sleep-deprived to begin with. And yes to the cost of everything -- schools, child care, travel, activities, etc. -- even food and clothing-- the cost x 4 is really daunting.

It's like I haven't accepted that this is now my life- it seems like it must be someone else's life, and I'm just standing in. I know I can't press rewind and it's fruitless to think "what if," but I can't help wondering why I didn't think about this more and why I didn't really listen to myself/know myself before deciding to try for a 3rd - of course, I didn't anticipate twins. Maybe I should have considered twins in the realm of possibilities, but it really seemed like a rarity that didn't cross my mind. I'm just not really placated by the "everything happens for a reason" cliche at this point in my life. My response is, "Really; and how do you know?" I know I need to come to terms with this, to accept it and move past it, but how?
#6 of 25 Old 03-14-2010, 04:57 PM

I totally understand.

I wanted two children and we now have three. It is so hard. I would write more but I have a twin nursing and a toddler hanging on me.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#7 of 25 Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 PM

I can relate, although my twins were 5 and 6.

I had four children in four years (on purpose). My youngest daughter was very, VERY high needs and sucked the very marrow of life from my bones her first 6 months. I JUST felt like I was getting my feet back under me when I became pregnant with my twins when that baby was 8 months old. I was NOT happy to be having another baby. I had 20 weeks to adjust to that idea before I found out it was twins, thank God.

I am a "buckle down and ride the ride" girl. But man, it's been rough in some spots. I try not to have regrets because I REALLY adore my twins. They are such delightful people and they add so much fun and laughter to our family. And as hard as it's been on Isabella I think it has been good for her to have younger siblings. If I'd had my way she would have been our last and spoiled rotten at that. Having twins last has made it impossible for me to 'baby' them too much.

Any way, I know how you feel I just bury that down deep and keep my head up looking at the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm pretty sure it's just the training coming to run me over but I look forward to it in any case. I am completely overwhelmed most days and I, too, am an introvert and I have FIVE extroverted children who constantly need to touch me. My one introvert and I get along very well.

I adore my children. I really do. They are my life's breath and I would be sad to be without any of them. But I'm also only one person and I've only got two hands, two arms, two breasts. It's an overwhelming and exhausting job and while I try not to wish away my life I do look forward to all of them being five and older. Right now they are 8, 6, 5, 3, and 21 months. I think of how much easier my life will be when everyone can wipe their own butts and buckle their own car seats and grab their own snacks.....
#8 of 25 Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 PM

My twins weren't even the "try for one more" kids. DD was our "one more" and the boys were a great big surprise. I was HAPPY as a mom of an only child - I did that for 8 years on purpose. Then I lost my mind and decided I wanted one more.

When DD was 8 months old, I had a days of kinda odd spotting and acknowleged that my cycles were probably starting again and we should probably be careful. In my haze of mommy brain, I kinda forgot about it. A month goes by, and I remember and wonder if I am going to have a cycle that month. Then I notice me breasts hurt when DD is nursing. A week or so later, I notice that I am not getting much when I pump at work. I had *just* gotten back to my pre-preg weight, and started noticing that I was gaining a little (1-2 lbs). On a whim, I took a PG test.

A few weeks later at the MW visit, I found out it was twins. I laughed. Hysterically. For so long that the MW got worried about me. I was alone at the appointment that day, and she actually asked if I was okay to drive home.

I love my boys with all my heart. But I would have been happy with only one child.

My motto used to be "I only run when chased" but I need my quiet, alone time so what did I do? I started running in the morning while everyone is asleep - at 4:45am! Definately not what I would call ideal, but I figure I do what I need to do.

I am struggling right now. I am a full-time WOHM. DH is working full time and in school full time. Money is tight. I just started getting some sleep a month or so ago.

HUGS!

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#9 of 25 Old 03-16-2010, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My twins are 2.5 years and I *still* remind dp that she was the one wanted us to try for #3, not me! While I love them like crazy I don't like being the crazy lesbian mom with 4 kids. Who in their right mind has 4 kids??? At least I imagine people thinking that as they look at me!

But to end on a positive note- They are so much fun sometimes. Like when they rrealize they are wearing the same color shirts and hug each other jumping up and down and yelling "Match! Match!" or when one worries about the other and shows such compassion and concern. Or when they use the nickname they have for each other. "I love you ninny" "I love you momo"

So congratulations. Don't feel bad about your feelings; I think they are pretty normal!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#10 of 25 Old 03-16-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
Or when they use the nickname they have for each other. "I love you ninny" "I love you momo"
Ninny and Momo - that is stinkin' cute!

Ours are Dew-man and Woe-boy

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#11 of 25 Old 03-17-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any practical suggestions for making time for the older children?

mumm: That's exactly what I thought/still think -- "Who in their right mind has 4 kids???" Now I am one of THOSE people -- not that I'm in my right mind!!
#12 of 25 Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post
A few weeks later at the MW visit, I found out it was twins. I laughed. Hysterically. For so long that the MW got worried about me. I was alone at the appointment that day, and she actually asked if I was okay to drive home.

HUGS!
When I discovered twins- I cried. Hysterically. On the u/s table. And in the waiting room in front of all the pg moms to be. And then in the mw exam. And on the drive home. I think the crying lasted about two years! Now I can mostly laugh about it.

I couldn't/wouldn't spend real $ on child care, but I found two 9 year old girls to be mother helpers. They are 12 now and I can leave my twins with them comfortably. I *only* pay them $8/hr. Having them play with the babies gave me time to spend with my older kids. Also we found ourselves splitting up big kids/ little kids all the time. Now we try to split up the twins so they can have time with just a big sib.

Your babes are so young still. By summer they may be a source of entertainment for your 2 year old and vice versa. My one suggestion- get out of the house. Everyday. Hang at the play ground or park. It feels good to get out, to have other moms tell you how brave and competent and amazing you are and to not have to look at the state your house is in.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#13 of 25 Old 03-17-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Anyone have any practical suggestions for making time for the older children?
It is going to get easier as the twins get older. For my eldest, who was almost 4 when the trips were born, we have always made time in the evening. Once the trips started sleeping for a good chunk after bedtime, DS always got and still gets one-on-one time before his bedtime after the little ones are in bed.

As soon as your twins are on solids or if you can pump for them to take bottles, you can hire somebody to help with the twins (or the three youngest) for an hour or so so you can focus on the older kids. For the first year, I handed the triplets off to a babysitter for the hour that DS1 came home from school and gave him a full hour of my undivided attention. It was invaluable.

The two year old is tougher because the needs of a two year old are so intense. You are still in really early days, so treats while you are nursing and special short activities you only do when the twins are asleep may be the best that you can do. As the twins go longer between feeds and start to fall into a daily rhythm, there will be more time for the toddler.

If you take the three youngest out, will the twins observe from a stroller? A walk at the two-year old's pace or a trip to the park with the twins in a stroller won't feel like the in arms life you might want for the twins, but it would probably be good for everybody.

One of the things that happens with a big family is that the kids learn to look to each other to get their needs met when mom is busy and other kids are available. It feels very strange that the little ones need me less than their big brother needed me at this age, but it is true they have each other and some of their comfort and lots of their stimulation comes from each other rather than from me. It isn't worse for them, just different. I feel deprived, but they don't. I had so much help the first year that I genuinely felt the trips weren't attaching to me any more than any other adult. Now, it is clear that they are deeply attached to me and there are times when only Mummy will do, but they have also learned to go to other people who might be able to meet their needs.

Kate
#14 of 25 Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
My one suggestion- get out of the house. Everyday. Hang at the play ground or park. It feels good to get out, to have other moms tell you how brave and competent and amazing you are and to not have to look at the state your house is in.
I need to get better about getting out. However, they generally eat every 2 hrs., which doesn't leave much time. Tandem nursing twins in public is not really something on my top 10 list of things I want to do right now...And, as we all know, nursing 1 w/out the other always runs the risk of 1 screaming infant...
#15 of 25 Old 03-17-2010, 04:54 PM

No practical suggestion, since mine are #1 and #2, but my twin cousins are #3 and #4. They were always the coolest family growing up. Four girls, all very close, and my aunt and uncle were laid back but had well-defined rules. In hindsight when I became a twin mom I couldn't believe my aunt did it all! My mind was blown. As a kid you take it for granted. As a new twin mom, I couldn't believe the household my aunt held together.

Somethings about your situation and hers helped - you're an experienced mom, your eldest two have each other. No, it's not planned but it'll pull you all closer together.

Good luck!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#16 of 25 Old 03-17-2010, 10:04 PM

Yep. My try for a 3rd baby and last baby ended with #3 and #4. My first two were only 1 and 2 when I found out at 20 weeks that I was carrying twins. Yikes. I struggled with finding time for my oldest two as well. I hired a mommy's helper. I was always home when she was at my house (2-3 mornings a week), but she was so helpful. She could get down on the floor and play with the older two when the twins were perma-latched to my boob and she could hold babies when I wanted to play with my older two. She helped some with food prep too. We didn't have much extra money at all but we were super frugal in other places to have enough money for this. We did it until the twins were 9 mo or so and then I felt that I could manage on my own.

I homeschool my kids but I did send my oldest to preschool for 1 yr (he turned 3 right before the twins were born) and Lily went to a mom's day out program 1 day a week that same year to get them out of the house alittle.

You could also have playdates at your house if you are comfortable with that. If you have 2 or 3 other mommies there to hold babies, it frees you up a bit. Get yourself to playdates at other people's houses too that you know well. It is easier to tandem nurse in another mama's house and you can go with your hair standing straight up without feeling like crap, you know?

I honestly didn't leave my house a ton that first year. Everyone survived it.

My twins are now almost 4 and things are so much easier. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. My 4 kids play super well together most of the time and we are out and about the town almost every day.

I freak out about college too.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#17 of 25 Old 03-19-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
One of the things that happens with a big family is that the kids learn to look to each other to get their needs met when mom is busy and other kids are available. It feels very strange that the little ones need me less than their big brother needed me at this age, but it is true they have each other and some of their comfort and lots of their stimulation comes from each other rather than from me. It isn't worse for them, just different. I feel deprived, but they don't. I had so much help the first year that I genuinely felt the trips weren't attaching to me any more than any other adult. Now, it is clear that they are deeply attached to me and there are times when only Mummy will do, but they have also learned to go to other people who might be able to meet their needs.
I am looking forward to seeing this dynamic and the bond that they will hopefully have with one another. Also, as mumm mentioned, right now, it seems like we are always splitting up the "big kids" and the babies. I hadn't thought about eventually being able to pair a twin with an older sibling, but it sounds like a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena 22
No practical suggestion, since mine are #1 and #2, but my twin cousins are #3 and #4. They were always the coolest family growing up. Four girls, all very close, and my aunt and uncle were laid back but had well-defined rules. In hindsight when I became a twin mom I couldn't believe my aunt did it all! My mind was blown. As a kid you take it for granted. As a new twin mom, I couldn't believe the household my aunt held together.
It does really make you look at other parents with multiples differently, doesn't it? Hopefully we'll someday be able to hold it all together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom
You could also have playdates at your house if you are comfortable with that. If you have 2 or 3 other mommies there to hold babies, it frees you up a bit. Get yourself to playdates at other people's houses too that you know well. It is easier to tandem nurse in another mama's house and you can go with your hair standing straight up without feeling like crap, you know?

I honestly didn't leave my house a ton that first year. Everyone survived it.

My twins are now almost 4 and things are so much easier. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. My 4 kids play super well together most of the time and we are out and about the town almost every day.

I freak out about college too.
Good idea about the playdates, and good to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel (even though, as Intertwined said, it could just be the train coming right at you...) I'm encouraged by the fact that you are getting out and about every day with the 4 of them! Colleges -- they should offer a multiples discount.
#18 of 25 Old 03-19-2010, 06:18 PM

OT, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Colleges -- they should offer a multiples discount.
Did you see the news about the quads who all got accepted at Yale this year? Ouch!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/19/ed...yale.html?_r=1

Kate
#19 of 25 Old 03-20-2010, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OT, I know.

Did you see the news about the quads who all got accepted at Yale this year? Ouch!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/19/ed...yale.html?_r=1
I don't even want to know what the cost for that is! I hope they do get a multiples discount! They sound like a delightful bunch, don't they?
#20 of 25 Old 03-22-2010, 05:00 PM

I have been reading this forum since the begining of my twin pregnancy, but I have never posted until now.

DH and I got married 5 years ago. We each have 2 children from our previous marriages; his are in their early 20's and mine are in their early teens. We decided that we really wanted to have a baby together after we got married. After a long 2.5 years of heartache and multiple medical procedures, we finally got pregnant with our "love child" and had our baby girl. DH wanted to have another baby right away. I said "NO WAY! I'm done!"

When our daughter was a year old, I began to think that she would have a lonely childhood with such a huge age gap between her and her siblings. I reluctantly agreed to try for another baby. By "try" I mean we didn't use any birth control. I was not going to use any fertility treatments this time and I figured that if I never got pregnant, it just meant that it wasn't "meant to be".

When I became pregnant 6 months later, my first thought was "Oh no! What have I done?" Then, from the very begining, I had a nagging feeling that I was having twins. It was a feeling of dread. I went in for my first prenatal visit at 9 weeks and the first thing I said to my doctor was "Let's do an ultrasound to make sure it's not twins, because that would be my worst nightmare!" I saw immediately that it was. My doctor gave me his condolences, as if he were giving me a cancer diagnosis.

I am 19 weeks along now, and I don't think I have fully accepted that I am having twins. I will have 5 kids at home: 2 in Jr High, a toddler and twin newborns. I never pictured my life looking like that. I know how hard one baby is; I can't even imagine how hard it will be to care for two and still meet the needs of my other children.

I spent the first couple weeks after my ultrasound hoping for a vanishing twin and then feeling guilty for feeling that way. I was so reluctant to have one more and now I am having two. I feel like it's my dirty little secret because I can't tell any of my friends and family that I am less than thrilled to be having twins. I know that I will love both of my babies and won't be able to imagine my life without them. I guess I am just mourning the loss of the life that I had pictured for my family.

I don't have any advice for you, but it really felt good to know that I am not alone in these feelings. I think that people figure that once you already have more than one kid, it isn't really a big deal to add more babies, even if they come two at a time.
#21 of 25 Old 03-22-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyproject View Post
I know that I will love both of my babies and won't be able to imagine my life without them. I guess I am just mourning the loss of the life that I had pictured for my family.
This. Exactly. If I had not had the twins my youngest would be nearly 3.5 and probably in MDO several times a week and I'd be shipping my oldest three off to Montessori and be half way through my apprenticeship/midwifery school now.

Wow, hadn't thought about that for a bit. I'd only have one at home during the day and I'd be pursuing MY deams rather than raising MORE babies. Sigh. Now I pretty much have to homeschool because we can't afford private school for six and it will be years and years before I'm able to start my career in midwifery. Thank god I have my photography as an outlet!

I think I'd better go love on my sweet babies for a few minutes.
#22 of 25 Old 03-22-2010, 08:23 PM

no advice for you what so ever, but just a hug.

My children are ---
15 yo girl
almost 4 yo girl
my twin boys will be 2 in May

I struggle DAILY with mother guilt, trying to find enough time for myself, my husband, working part time, and spending time with each of my children. I feel like I'm juggling all these plates,and at any moment, they will all come crashing down.

Something I've gotten very skilled at, since the boys were born, is learning how to say NO, and accepting help when it is offered. Plus, I don't make any bones about how busy I am at home. I just tell people, "No, I can't help you with that, I'm too busy at home." If they want to come over and help, great.

Hang in there. I keep telling myself it will get easier! Someday ......

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#23 of 25 Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 PM

I'm shooting for five and up Dianna. All people using the toilet, wiping themselves, buckling their own car seats and not nearly as likely to dash in front of traffic.

Of course, by then my oldest will be entering puberty.....
#24 of 25 Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
I'm shooting for five and up Dianna. All people using the toilet, wiping themselves, buckling their own car seats and not nearly as likely to dash in front of traffic.

Of course, by then my oldest will be entering puberty.....
I don't know. The further into their teens that my kids get, the more I think I would take toddlers over teens any day. They cry and whine every bit as much as my toddler. I don't have to wipe them, but I do have to keep track of all of their homework and school activities. They aren't going to dash in front of traffic, but they start to drive and become part of the traffic. That is even more terrifying.
#25 of 25 Old 03-23-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyproject View Post
I don't know. The further into their teens that my kids get, the more I think I would take toddlers over teens any day. They cry and whine every bit as much as my toddler. I don't have to wipe them, but I do have to keep track of all of their homework and school activities. They aren't going to dash in front of traffic, but they start to drive and become part of the traffic. That is even more terrifying.
All totally true things, for sure. I'd probably be on that same train of thought except I have SO many little ones! My youngest four are all five and under. It's completely exhausting some day. I'm praying hard for mellow teens.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page