Is there an AP book for twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a book out there on AP for twins? If not, somebody should write one. Or several of us could team up and write one. I'm a freelance writer (or I was before my belly got so big and distracting. I'll get back to it eventually.). At this point, all I have to add is writing expertise, but in a year or two, I'll have some actual experience (not just what I've read in books).

It sounds like AP is really a struggle for moms of twins. I think a book full of advice from moms who've been there on how to do it and/or how to modify it might be really helpful.

Girl/boy twins due July 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-30-2010, 08:27 PM

Mothering Multiples by Karen Kerkhoff Gromada
#3 of 6 Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 PM

Mothering Multiples is the one that springs to mind. If I remember, it is very heavily bfing oriented with less on other aspects of raising multiples.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#4 of 6 Old 03-30-2010, 10:17 PM

I'd really be on board for helping to write just such a book. APing twins was way harder than a singleton. So many things had to give and that sucked. It was so much easier to stick one baby into a sling and just get on with it. Twins took way more planning and compromise. BUT I'd love to help write a book encouraging moms that it CAN be done! I never sleep trained my babies, we didn't do purposeful CIO, we cloth diapered part time, we held them a lot, they were exclusively breast fed, they coslept for a year and I did wear them and even sometimes wore them together. APing twins can be wonderful!

I remember once when I was visiting a friend of my husband's who's wife had just had twins. Both of them were entertaining and one of the babies was screaming in his swing. I nicely offered to pick him up and his wife told me "No, we just let them cry. They have to learn it's only two of us." I was horrified then (a good year and a half before my own twins entered stage left) and I'm horrified now. I made a good attempt to always be responsive to my twins, even if it was just calling out "I'll be there as soon as I can honey! I'm helping your brother!"
#5 of 6 Old 03-31-2010, 03:03 PM

Yes, do it! I also think a chapter about how to deal with stress of a baby in the hospital would be helpful. One of my twins had to have heart surgery 10 days after birth and I could offer a ton of advice including bfing when baby was 4 mos old. I had to pump for her and they said I couldn't bfeed her because she would burn too many calories trying. I learned a few tricks dealing with babies learning how to bfeed later and keeping your stress level down and being patient.

What a wonderful idea! I am sure you would have a ton of support from the community offering advice. You could even base the book on personal experiences with mini chapters from families and their situations and how they made AP work for them.
#6 of 6 Old 04-01-2010, 11:13 AM

I would totally buy this book if it existed. APing twins is (obviously) different from APing a singleton, so when I read a book or website about APing singletons, I'm left feeling like what I'm doing with the twins isn't good enough or is somehow second rate. As if this weren't hard enough...

Karen, mama to one toddler (9/07) and twin babies (10/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page