Some twin pregnancy questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi there. I had an ultrasound today and we saw this. We just lost two, one in July and another in October, so this is especially wonderful. Scary, but wonderful.

I have a couple early pregnancy questions:
Is there a particular prenatal vitamin that's especially good for a twin pregnancy? The nurse said I needed 800-1000 of folic acid and the Supermom vitamins I have only have 400.

The doc was very... cautionary, I guess I would say. He said he wasn't going to put me on bed rest, but I should slow way down, not do too much, not do anything chore-wise that I can make someone else do. He said if I was his daughter, he would tell me to hire help and stop homeschooling. I'm not going to do either but I am wondering how much I need to slow down.

Any tips you have for getting through this pregnancy would be more than gratefully accepted.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 28 Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wowsers! Congratulations on your twins! It's such a fun thing.

Hmmm, I'd say he's being overly cautious. Why on earth would you need to be on bedrest now? Did your previous losses have something to do with an incompetent cervix? Other than that, bedrest isn't shown to do much of anything unless you have an acute medical condition. I didn't even KNOW about my twins until 20 weeks!

That being said, listen to your body. I was pretty clear on when I needed to start slowing down (third trimester). I got tired and sore easily, my feet hurt, I got cranky, etc. You'll know.

good luck!
#3 of 28 Old 04-19-2010, 10:08 PM

Congrats! I have an ultrasound picture like that. My boys are now 5. Time just flies.

As for vitamins, I take (and took while pregnant) Usana vitamins.
http://shop.usana.com/shop/cart/Prod...tID=101.010102

When taken twice a day (as directed) they offer 1000 (I think it's micrograms) of folic acid.

My doctor looked over the vitamins and agreed they were excellent, and never prescribed a prenatal.

Things I wish I knew going into it...
Be prepared for bedrest. Doctors manage twin pregnancies especially so.
I was so very tired for the first few weeks-- Sleeping all the time, and hungry!
I was very busy after my second trimester trying to juggle my doctors' appointments (regular ob, maternal-fetal medical doctor.)

Line up help for after the babies are born, and maybe during the last few weeks if at all possible. My mother lived in with us for quite awhile, and it was a lifesaver.

If you're in the us, look into FMLA for your working spouse. My husband got three weeks off at first, and three weeks later in the school year. It was a big help.

Twin births do not always go as we want. Expect to be flexible.

And again, congrats!

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#4 of 28 Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 PM

Congrats! I too think the Dr is being overly cautious for this early. However, that said, listen to your body. I found out in the first trimester that there was no way I could keep up with my usual yardwork. If you have any cramping or soreness, then stop and rest. You will have to slow down at some point, so be prepared for it. I was able to avoid bedrest, but by third trimester I was only in survival mode and simply going up the stairs to bed would make my heart race and require me to rest at the top.

Line up help for the end of pregnancy and definately for when the babies are born. It's tough, but wonderful.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#5 of 28 Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 PM

Congratulations! It looks like they each have their own sac, am I right?

I'd suggest having a plan in place in case you do wind up on bed rest.

Also, stay hydrated. And get lots of protein.

Good luck!

Karen, mama to one toddler (9/07) and twin babies (10/09)
#6 of 28 Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 PM

Thorne brand, available lots of places online, has real folate, it's the form found in food, and it has some advantages over folic acid. The prenatal has 1000mcg of folate per dose (3 capsules, I wrote it wrong the first time).
#7 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM

Congratulations!

I also think your dr is being overly cautious but it is definitely better to be cautious than not IMO. I didn't know about my twins until my 20-week u/s so I didn't do anything different- I tended my garden all summer, swam and ran with my older kids, and since I don't get typical pregnancy symptoms (even with the twins) I felt great. It was fantastic. In fact, I felt great until about 32-33 weeks.

Make sure you get Barbara Luke's book, the name is escaping me, and it talks about vitamins. She really focuses on eating though! Protein protein protein. But I took a regular Rainbow Light prenatal throughout and then additional C & E.

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
#8 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

His big thing was that supposedly "studies" show that the easier a mama takes things, the longer the babies stay in? And to be fair, I think I come off as a bit of an overachiever. I have 4 at home I'm homeschooling, I direct 4 children's choirs (plus a bonus one-shot deal I'm doing at Synod Assembly), I teach a Kindermusik-style class at our homeschool co-op, I'm a LLL leader, I do a lot at church. He might just be trying to slow me down a bit, LOL!

Not that I need him to. I'm so incredibly tired and nauseated and I have no energy. Literally, none at all for anything.

Which is my next question-- I was tired with my last pregnancies, but it got better after the first trimester. Will I feel better soon or is this just one long slow descent into lethargy?

Also, are the hormones worse with twins. Cause I am finding myself crazy ticked-off annoyed much of the time, and the rest of the time I am crying. Which I know is a little bit just from being pregnant, but it's worse than it's ever been.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intertwined View Post
Did your previous losses have something to do with an incompetent cervix?
Nope. To be fair, he didn't say bed rest, he just said to take it really easy and make everyone else do whatever they could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post
If you're in the us, look into FMLA for your working spouse. My husband got three weeks off at first, and three weeks later in the school year. It was a big help.
Thanks! DH has worked into his contract that he gets 2 weeks paid but only one Sunday (he's a pastor). I'm not good at asking for help, but we're already talking about lining up help.

Quote:
Twin births do not always go as we want. Expect to be flexible.
This is going to be kind of hard. The OB office already loves me as their token hippie and DH has vetoed homebirth, which is something I'm willing to go with. I think they're willing to work with me because I'm willing to work with them. What I want most of all is for everyone to be safe and as healthy as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verycozy View Post
Congratulations! It looks like they each have their own sac, am I right?
Yep! I can't wait to know what their gender is...

Quote:
I'd suggest having a plan in place in case you do wind up on bed rest.
When does bed rest typically happen? I'm really nervous about homeschooling. We do Waldorf homeschooling, which is pretty mama-intensive and I'm worried about how that will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerieg View Post

Make sure you get Barbara Luke's book, the name is escaping me, and it talks about vitamins. She really focuses on eating though! Protein protein protein. But I took a regular Rainbow Light prenatal throughout and then additional C & E.
Thanks, I'll look that up!

I actually ordered the Thorne vitamins today because I could get them on Amazon.

Thanks for answering my five billion questions. I'm sure you get asked a lot, but you've all been so positive that it's been a real pick-me-up. In real life, things have been a little "ZOMGosh, how are you ever going to do it?!??!!" and I was starting to panic.

#10 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 06:35 PM

annettemarie - congratulations

((it's lovely to see you here))

i agree with doc you should cut some of that high powered life down a bit
plenty of rest, protein, water, gentle exercise and relaxation.

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#11 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~bookcase~ View Post
annettemarie - congratulations

((it's lovely to see you here))

i agree with doc you should cut some of that high powered life down a bit
plenty of rest, protein, water, gentle exercise and relaxation.
Thanks so much!

And yeah, every time I think of an obligation right now, I have an overwhelming sense of fear and exhaustion. I can't wait until everything I signed up for is over and I can say no to everything else, LOL!

#12 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 06:59 PM

I don't know when bedrest typically happens. For me it was 28 weeks and it was because my cervix was funneling thinning out and I was having contractions. If you don't have cervical changes or frequent contractions, most OBs aren't going to put you on bed rest as a routine twin pregnancy precaution.

Any chance you have another waldorf homeschooling family nearby that wouldn't mind helping you out?

#13 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 PM

I would say just listen to your body. I am 36 weeks right now and really haven't changed much in my daily life. I have a DS who will be 5 in May, a dd who is 3 1/2 and another ds who will be 2 in May. So I'm pretty busy all day. Not to say I'm not tired as all get out at the end of the day but things have to get done when you have other children and a DH that works, LOL. I have had no complications so my Dr. has never told me to slow down or go on bed rest. It really depends on each situation.

Oh and I have had 1 previous loss but that didn't seem to bother my Dr. It would depend on the reasoning behind the loss I'm sure.

Katana - Full time student : and SAHM to 5 kids
Boy / Girl Twins born 5/5/2010!!!
#14 of 28 Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by verycozy View Post
Any chance you have another waldorf homeschooling family nearby that wouldn't mind helping you out?
Sadly, no. And my husband is pushing for me to put the kids in school next year.

#15 of 28 Old 04-21-2010, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Another quick question-- is it normal to have a kind of random heart racing/shortness of breath while I'm just sitting still? It almost feels like a panic attack but I don't think that's what it is.

#16 of 28 Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Also, are the hormones worse with twins. Cause I am finding myself crazy ticked-off annoyed much of the time, and the rest of the time I am crying. Which I know is a little bit just from being pregnant, but it's worse than it's ever been.
Yes, unfortunately, I found this to be the case, esp. in first trimester. Morning sickness was also worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
Another quick question-- is it normal to have a kind of random heart racing/shortness of breath while I'm just sitting still? It almost feels like a panic attack but I don't think that's what it is.
I don't know if it is associated with pregnancy or not (might make sense, since your blood volume level increases?) but I also have palpitations/racing heart/arrythmia sometimes, pregnant or not. It's usually triggered by making a sudden movement while lying down. I have found that magnesium supplements help w/ this.

As far as whether to slow down, I did not really slow down or change my life much at all during pregnancy. It was important for me to remain active and to feel like my life hadn't turned totally upside down. I worked p/t right up until giving birth, although I did/do have a quiet desk job - much easier than chasing after toddlers! I continued to go on long walks, clean the house, etc. I didn't have any problems with pre-term labor. OB said that as long as there wasn't shortening of the cervix, there really wasn't a need to restrict activity. As everyone else said, though, listen to your body! GL!!!
#17 of 28 Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 AM

My OB told me the heart racing/pumping hard/take your breath away stuff is a result of dramatically increased blood volume. I experienced it for about a week (felt like my heart was going to beat right out of my chest, although it wasn't always beating any faster). Certainly mention it to your OB, but I think it's fairly normal.

Congrats on your babies, mama!!!

Amy
mama to big brother Mason (Jan '05) and the littles, Adam and Holden (May '10)
#18 of 28 Old 04-22-2010, 10:18 AM

About the palpitations/heart racing/etc: Thyroid hormones can go a bit crazy with a twin pregnancy, especially if you're having severe morning sickness (meaning your pregnancy hormones are elevated); it shows up on blood work looking like low TSH (hyperthyroidism). This happened to me and I was having palpitations and all that. I went to an endocrinologist and he said it was totally consistent with twin pregnancy. Chatting with the OB wouldn't hurt.

#19 of 28 Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... I don't go in again until May 3, and that's just the entrance interview, so maybe I'll just call the nurse tomorrow to be reassured.

One of the reasons I am stressing about bed rest is that my third I ended up on bed rest for the last month due to high blood pressure. It didn't happen with the fourth, though. I don't know if it's one of those things that is more likely to be a problem if it was a problem before.

#20 of 28 Old 04-27-2010, 08:14 PM

I think that as long as everything looks okay medically you just listen to your body & do what you feel up to doing. My doc said I didn't specifically need to do anything any differently just because it was twins but maybe yours thinks it sounds like you're putting a lot of stress on yourself??? I didn't do anything any differently until like 30 weeks - because I was physically feeling too tired to work all day, I cut back to only working mornings.
#21 of 28 Old 04-30-2010, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

A couple of updates

I hadn't thrown up in a few days and had myself convinced the babies had died. They got me in right away and I saw them today and they're doing great! I can't believe how much they've grown in 10 days and they have nice strong heartbeats. It's actually really amazing to me. And the nurses were soooo nice. I told them they had my permission to lecture me about chilling out and they said that I was acting pretty much exactly how they would expect a woman who had two miscarriages in a row and then found out she was having twins would act... but yeah, I needed to chill out. It feels more real now because this is around when we lost the other babies. By six weeks, nothing was measuring right and there were already all kinds of warnings that things were going wrong.

Anyway, my question of the night...

Those muscles on the sides of the uterus-- round ligaments, are they called?-- mine are really killing me. I'm wondering how much of it has to do with having three first trimesters so close together and how much of it has to do with twins. Sometimes it helps if I put my hand there-- I'm guessing because of the heat? Is there anything I can do as far as comfort measures? Like a hot water bottle? Or would that be bad for the babies? Because it hurts really badly.

#22 of 28 Old 04-30-2010, 12:50 AM

A nice warm water bottle would be fine and won't hurt the babies. There is much more worry about raising your core body temp or using a heating blanket or pad because they use electricity. But a hot water body or rice sock would be great. Poor thing, I'd forgotten about how much those growing pains hurt! And it's likely growing pains more than the three first trimesters. Twins really do grow and stretch your uterus much more quickly! That can be kinda intense. I went from barely showing at 18 weeks to looking about 5 months pregnant at 21!

I'm so glad your babies are looking well! What a relief that must be!!!!
#23 of 28 Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm going to try that tomorrow.

I've already come up with three things I think having twins is going to teach me.

1. I know nothing. I honestly thought "Fifth baby, easy peasy." Now I'm realizing what a learning curve two babies are going to be!

2. Slow down. I am a total overdoer. I'm already having to slow way down.

3. Ask for help. I kind of suck at this.

#24 of 28 Old 04-30-2010, 02:25 AM

I like New Chapter organics as they are food based so you absorb more of the vitamins. There are some great books about multiple pregnancy. "Having Twins and MOre" by Susan Noble is great. However try not to get too overwhelmed by all of the increased nutritional needs/added possible complications because stress isn't good for you either. All I can say is protein, protein, protein!! Congrats!
#25 of 28 Old 04-30-2010, 09:34 AM

Congratulations!!!

Bedrest may not even happen mama! I didn't have any sort of bedrest and my water broke on my due date!

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#26 of 28 Old 04-30-2010, 10:57 AM

Remember: you are making two placentas and nourishing two little people. Even when you're just lying down and complaining about how cruddy you feel , your body is working harder than it's ever worked before.

I'm convinced that the reason we sometimes feel so horrible during the first trimester of a twin pregnancy is to force us to accept help and set up a support network that we can rely on later in the pregnancy when things could get rough, and after the babies are born.

#27 of 28 Old 04-30-2010, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

It's funny, because I'm usually running around like a chicken with my head cut off, doing 10 things at once. But I've just been so exhausted lately. More than exhausted-- lethargic. I just don't care about anything. I have no energy to direct towards anything. I'm just waiting for my obligations to wrap up and saying "no" to everything else. Do you think that will pass? Or will it just get worse?

#28 of 28 Old 04-30-2010, 11:30 PM

I'd wager that you get a lot more energy in a few weeks.

This is probably a gross generalization, but I think twin pregnancies progress like most singleton pregnancies: first trimester you feel sick and tired, second trimester you feel pretty great, third trimester you feel heavy and uncomfortable and maybe tired. The big difference is that with a twin pregnancy you're already pretty huge by the middle of the second trimester; by about 23 weeks I was enormous and uncomfortable.

But some twin mamas feel great throughout their whole pregnancies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page