Anyone fantacize about a second set of twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 04-26-2010, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pregnant and desperately hope I am having another set of twins. i love parenting multiples, and I wish wish wish I coould bookend my child bearing with another set. My friends think I am nuts if I utter this wish, but how bout you MOMs?

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
#2 of 32 Old 04-26-2010, 12:55 AM

Part of me thinks it's nice to get the 2-for-1 pregnancy and get more kids out of fewer pregnancies LOL

Part of me thinks it's insane. I feel like my twin pregnancy was stressful and I wish that I could have enjoyed my last pregnancy a little more. And focusing on one baby instead of juggling 2 would have been nice at times.

But if it happened, I'd deal.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 32 Old 04-26-2010, 01:32 AM

My husband has said many times he wishes we would have another set of twins. I'd love it too....but I think we are too old.

but if I were ten years younger...
#4 of 32 Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 AM

Not here. Having another set of twins right now would put me over the edge . But we have 4 dc's total and we were aiming for 3 so 6 kids would definitely be too much for us. But I could see the possibility of wishing for twins again if our twins were our first dc's, they were older (two is a rough age for us ) and we wanted more children.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#5 of 32 Old 04-26-2010, 11:40 AM

no way jose.

i feel so lucky that i got my two in one shot. now i am DONE!
#6 of 32 Old 04-26-2010, 12:01 PM

That's just exactly what's stopped me from considering trying to have another baby-- the fear that I might conceive multiples again. No way. I love my kids, of course I do, but I would not ever want to have twins again.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#7 of 32 Old 04-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You may be crazy but you're not alone. If I knew I'd have a second set I'd seriously consider.

One of the many things keeping me from having another pregnancy is the thought of having a single girl. My twins have pretty strong personalities. A boy could at least be his own man, but a girl following a team like Belle and Izzy would have a tough row to hoe.

But twins of any mix . . . perfect. In theory!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#8 of 32 Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 PM

I'd LOVE it, but not for like 5 years and dude, I'm about done. I have six and I'm pretty comfy with that number. We went to the zoo yesterday and I even spent part of the time walking with the twins, holding their hands, while my older two pushed the stroller! It was AWESOME! I don't want to go back to square one again right now. No way, no how. I'd jump.
#9 of 32 Old 04-27-2010, 11:09 AM

Nope, not even a little. I fantasize about having a single baby sometimes, but there's so many sets of twins in my family (and multiple sets in one family) that I am seriously considering being done.

My pregnancy was hard. I was on strict bed rest at 25 weeks, babies born at 33, serious complications with me afterwards (blood pressure wouldn't go down, hemorrhaging, etc). I could never get them to nurse and maintain their weight, so I'm still pumping. I don't think my body is made to carry twins well, and I don't feel willing to put more babies through that NICU experience. I also don't think I could give my current children the attention they needed during that first 6 months.

If I could be assured a single pregnancy, I'd probably consider it in a couple of years. I'm very frightened of having another set of twins though.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#10 of 32 Old 04-27-2010, 03:37 PM

atm - NOOOOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#11 of 32 Old 04-27-2010, 07:47 PM

When we conceived this singleton (IVF) we knew that twins again were a strong possibility. At that first ultrasound I recall that twinge of disappointment when I saw the one little peanut in there (and DP had that twinge, too). Now that I have gotten over that (LOL) I am thrilled to be able to have a single infant this time - the dynamics for our family are perfect - though if there had been two again at least we'd know what we were doing the second time around!

Mommy to girls twins.gif 9/2005, our angel babies stillheart.gif 2004 and stillheart.gif 2005, and our intact, ebf superhero.gif4/29/2010.

#12 of 32 Old 04-27-2010, 08:31 PM

Funny, I am anxiously awaiting my first u/s tomorrow hoping that I am NOT carrying twins! It's the joke everyone keeps making, what if it's twins again, and I'm sure partly because of my exhaustion and m/s, I'm finding the comments completely humorless.

That said, I LOVE my twins, and could not imagine a different or better way we could have started our family. One reason I do not want another set of twins is that I know the amount of time and energy twins take (and mine were 'easy' babies) and I don't want the twins I have to be shortchanged.

So, short answer, no, no twin fantasies. I'm actually still a bit in shock that we're adding even one more (please, oh please just one!!) child to our family!

Nikki, mama to DD and DS1 twins.gif (6/07) and DS2 babyboy.gif (10/10) 
#13 of 32 Old 04-28-2010, 03:24 AM

We were dying for another set of twins. We were hoping this last pregnancy would be twin girls, so we'd have two boys, two girls, and were done!! (I am not so young). This pregnancy was a girl, but just a singleton. We were both a little dissappointed (happy for the baby though, we don't get prego so easily) but in a way I felt sorry for her just being one.

DH wants six and I told him that there is no way that I will be 40 and prego and I will have one more pregnancy and if he wants six it will have to be trips. I feel that because E is a singleton and the boys have each other, that there should be one more kiddo who knows what it's like to be a singleton. (and besides, I've always wanted 4 kids).

So yes, in short, we wanted another set.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#14 of 32 Old 04-29-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentamomma View Post
I am pregnant and desperately hope I am having another set of twins. i love parenting multiples, and I wish wish wish I coould bookend my child bearing with another set. My friends think I am nuts if I utter this wish, but how bout you MOMs?
As for me? Hell no .... I'm scared to death, honestly, and it's probably what's standing in my way of even contemplating getting pregnant again.

I'll be 'at risk' for fraternals at this point .... older momma, have had previous pregnancies, breastfeeding while conceiving, etc, etc.

If/when I get PG again, I will be BEGGING my OB for an early u/s, to check number of babies. Seriously.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#15 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 AM

No. Nope. No way.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#16 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 AM

I'm putting the twins hex on my uterus after reading this!!!! LOL! I'm 5 weeks preggo and scared to death that there's 2 in there. I had my fraternal twins at home and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. I didn't even find out until 23 weeks that I was carrying 2. That's definitely what kept my husband and I from making a decision to have another one since our dd was born but we finally decided to take the risk. We'll see what happens. This is only our 2nd together. With 4 girls who need every ounce of my energy I can't imagine being preggo with twins and dealing with that first year. Having one toddler was hard enough, having 4 kids plus twins would surely land me in the loony bin. I'm going to wait it out and see how I measure next trimester but it's going to be a long wait!!!

homebirth.jpgMama to 4 girls and forever missing Bright 6/12/10. Married to my best friend and dreaming of the day we leave the city for chicken3.gif
#17 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 04:52 PM

Our mothers put in an order for twin girls before the boys were a day old! Another set of twins is a definite possibility for us. I was 26 when I conceived my fraternal boys, and the likelihood of fraternals only goes up as you get older. At first, I was really worried that I'd have more twins, but I feel like the experience of mothering twins has been a bit like boot camp--it's hard, but I'm learning what I'm made of. Now I'm just worried about having triplets!

The funny thing is that I always liked the idea of a big family, but couldn't seem to justify it because of over-population. And my husband always said two were enough for him. But since we got two boys in the first shot, it sort of throws all the old expectations out the window. Maybe I will have my big family after all.
#18 of 32 Old 04-30-2010, 06:02 PM

nope. no way.

I am still having a really hard time with my twins. I do think, though, that if my dh were home more often/regular hours, I would have had a totally different experience. As it is, he's off to work by 5am, and I have to get myself ready and take care of 3 kids AND get myself off to work by 8am. I also am alone most weekends and about 50% of the evenings, so I really feel like I'm drowning. I really don't have any help. I do have a few friends who have twins with parents who live in town and can help and hubbies who are home at night and on the weekends. They are having a great time, and are not nearly as stressed out as I am

Denise, mama to ds1 (03/26/05) and boy/girl twins born 08/12/08
#19 of 32 Old 05-01-2010, 01:37 AM

I think, in theory, I'd love another set of twins - I love the interaction of them etc - BUT!!! Twins would put us at 7 kids - about 5 more than we'd planned! LOL

I would never 'risk' it since I've conceived twins twice (having miscarried one of the twins) and carried one set to term....so, the tubes are tied....LOL

BUT! You are not crazy. We all can handle different things! I have to friends who have two sets of twins each - one has 2 fraternals, one has ID girls and then a b/g set.

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#20 of 32 Old 05-09-2010, 06:04 PM

Got two sets already!

Maybe it's just my situation, but I would hesitate to wish for two sets. I absolutely adore mine, don't get me wrong, but it is so exhausting. When my second set arrived I didn't get the homebirth I'd had with the first set, recovery was terrible, breastfeeding was difficult, etc. My husband left when they were just 4 months old and I was nursing 4 children until recently. My other children were all 5 and under when the second set was born, leaving me with 6 children under 6 and 5 of those under 5. It was insane. My body is suffering now from lack of sleep for so long.

I totally wouldn't trade them for anything, and I'd definitely do it all over again, but it's not something I think anyone would wish for if they knew the reality of it. My second set was much, much harder than the first set.

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#21 of 32 Old 05-09-2010, 10:44 PM

Magentamom, are you insane!? I'm raising a baby boy right now, with a girl on the way. I have no clue how you can handle twins! I hope your wishes come true and you have another set of twins.
#22 of 32 Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 PM

You know, sometimes I fantasize about identical triplets. Sometimes I will be in the room with my kids and look around wondering where the other one is (usually I'm holding one rofl). Even though I feel like it's all I can do to manage with my twins, I'm still fascinated by the thought of triplets.

But realistically, no. I'd really love to have one more baby some day, although I'm not sure if that will be an option. But I want ONE baby. I think after having twins, one will be so easy.
#23 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 11:08 AM

I'll answer that yes, I do fantasize about it.

Because I do.

But. If the question were worded differently in any way, such as What would you do if...? Could you handle it if....? Do you want another set of twins? Do you hope for another set of twins? Then, the answer would be no.

I don't want to get pregnant with twins again, I don't want to have two more children, and I don't think getting pregnant with twins again in a reasonable time (reproductive years speaking, for me) would be good for me or my family, because it would have to be soon and my twins are only 21 months old now. I don't think this spacing would be ideal, given how much I shut down (due to nausea, other difficulties) the last time.

We are struggling in so many ways and on multiple fronts right now, so this is not about really wanting or dreaming or wishing.

And also, the further away I get from the pregnancy & birth, and the whole experience of growing these big healthy babies, the less I think about pregnancy in general (so the less I "fantasize" about having twins again.) But I will say that for the longest time, it felt to me like the only "real" pregnancy was a twin pregnancy, and that it would be seriously weird to be pregnant again and only expecting one.

And yeah, I think about names (in pairs) and how nice it might be to end up with twin girls this time. (This time?! ha ha ha ha) This is the fantasy talking, just so you know. Names have always been a pleasure to think about, and thinking about the alternative twin scenario is just that much more fun.
#24 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 02:34 PM

I do not fantasize about another set of twins, no. If it happened, I'd have mixed feelings about it.

When I was pregnant with my singleton, I was happy there was only one and it was a fantastic experience to only have one baby to take care of. I could wear him all the time, we're still co-sleeping and I couldn't manage that with my twins and it's so much easier to chase one toddler versus two. But there are times that I feel a bit sorry for him that he doesn't have a twin. And I kind of dread the girls going off to Kindy next year and having Ian expect me to entertain him. Now that they're 5, I feel like twins are easier in many ways than a singleton. But twin babies and toddlers are tough.

Also, AmyC, I think you make a good point. Twin pregnancy is rough and I do not think I could handle it and the 3 I have without serious outside help. DH works a lot. I had no other kids and didn't work the second half of my pregnancy and I was exhausted. I don't know how those of you who have kids and are pregnant with twins do it.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#25 of 32 Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Nope!

That said, when my dw was pregnant (with our fourth baby), I did sort of hope that she might have twins (she is a spontaneous fraternal twin, so perhaps her chances of conceiving twins were higher than average). Her acupuncturist wondered from her pulse if she was having twins, and I got a little excited about that idea. But it wasn't my body.

Really, I think one baby at a time is just lovely. And now that we have four kids, I think the benefit of having twins could really be replicated just in the fact that no matter what, another baby in our family would have a lot of siblings. The second year of twins is what I would dread repeating most. Yikes.

But, if, for some crazy reason, we DID end up expecting another set of twins, I would probably be able to come to peace with it. I do think it would be easier the second time around.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#26 of 32 Old 05-13-2010, 11:34 AM

Absolutely not! One set was more than enough, thanks.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#27 of 32 Old 05-13-2010, 02:59 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o. Would never trade the joy of twins... but it was really hard work. REALLY HARD.

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
#28 of 32 Old 05-16-2010, 11:05 PM

Given the pregnancy-cut-short by premature birth, the months in the NICU and with oxygen at home, and the 4 years of constant sleep deprivation that have ensued, I'm gonna pass on that second set of twins. I'll keep the ones I've got, though.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#29 of 32 Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 AM

i get the whole overpowering "awwwwwww.....!" thing when i see twin girls, so there must be something in me that would get a kick out of it (however, i still never recovered my brain cells from my last pregnancy ).

that being said, we would love to have more children, and i have fantasies about having one and how much easier it might be. only having one riding on my back (no one on front) seems really beautiful.

my mother's mother had 3 singletons, then a set of twins (so far, just like us), then another set of twins, so i've always thought it was in the cards for us....

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
#30 of 32 Old 05-19-2010, 10:38 PM

Yes...I fantasize about it (and mine are only 5 months old!)

However, in reality, it would probably be a horrible thing for our family. It would likely lead to a divorce and would definately take a lot away from the kids I have. While I love children, dh is not the same and is usually at work the entire time the kids are awake. I'm just tired and it would probably put me over the edge.

However, I do still fantasize. . . .

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page