Anyone not have a house that is a disaster? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 05-19-2010, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if everyone else has a house that is a disaster zone. We just can't get or keep it clean there is just no time. Please tell me your secret if you have figured out away to not CIO, sleep, cook, and keep your house in order with twins cause I have decided it is IMPOSSIBLE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 05-19-2010, 02:03 AM

Ditto. Well, I just had a baby, but my house is usually a disaster anyway. It seems that i can keep only one or two rooms moderately clean/organized, the others being moderate to major disasters. What's more is that we're moving in 1 1/2 months and our landlord wants us to clean up to show the house. I can understand tidying, etc. but he's requesting more of a redecoration, and he's not being sensitive to the fact that I JUST HAD A BABY! Could we wait a week or two?? Anyway...I hear it gets better!
#3 of 26 Old 05-19-2010, 02:13 AM

Nope.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#4 of 26 Old 05-19-2010, 02:16 AM

i dont know how my mother did it. our house was always clean, floors were mopped, shelves were dusted. right now i'm sitting on a couch that is long overdue for some serious cleaning, theres clothes everywhere and dining room table still has a couple of dishes left over from dinner.
i think at this point it is easier to move than to clean everything up.
#5 of 26 Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNova View Post
i dont know how my mother did it. our house was always clean, floors were mopped, shelves were dusted. right now i'm sitting on a couch that is long overdue for some serious cleaning, theres clothes everywhere and dining room table still has a couple of dishes left over from dinner.
i think at this point it is easier to move than to clean everything up.
See, I asked my mother the same thing and she just laughed. She said that's because I only remember when I was old enough to go to school, and she had hours to clean. She said if I remembered back to when I was a baby or toddler, I would have been appalled.

But despite that, I still know that there are plenty of people with young children who manage to keep their house clean.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#6 of 26 Old 05-19-2010, 02:23 AM

I only have one kid and my house is a disaster.

The fact that you are coherent enough to make this thread impresses me honestly... the thought of multiples makes me want to cry.
#7 of 26 Old 05-19-2010, 10:16 AM

I don't have infants anymore, but my house is a disaster. I blame it on the twins. My blame is probably misplaced.

Part of it for me is I'm not neat by nature. The kids do their part. The boys (five years old, now) really get into their play, and tear everything out. They build tents, forts, whatever, everywhere, pulling every blanket and pillow into thier construction.

We just live with a usual state of chaos, and I work on it. I have a terrible mess in the kitchen as we speak, but if I go work on it I'll wake the kids up.

Only sympathy from me. I can't offer advice.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#8 of 26 Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Move the goalpost as necessary!
  • Enough dishes to eat next meal on = not disaster.
  • "Crunchy" floor that could use a sweep and a wash (but doesn't have dust bunnies) = not disaster.
  • Clean clothing for people to wear, even it wasn't your first-choice outfit = not disaster.
My house is very, very cluttered all the time. But it's not filthy.

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#9 of 26 Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 AM

My twins are still in utero, and my house is pretty messy. Not exactly dirty, but cluttery. I can't imagine how it's going to be when the are born. I am nesting like a madwoman, but energy gives out easily or pain kicks in. I feel like I am racing against the clock. They are due in mid-July.
#10 of 26 Old 05-19-2010, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This has been on my mind a lot too. My mom kept a really clean house and cooked / prepared all our meals. Not me. I vacuum once in a lunar cycle and rarely eat or serve anything that requires heat.

When I do get the house clean and do some cooking, I usually become a b*tch. No, don't touch that! Put that away! Don't pull that! It's like the toys and books and crap spread all over distracts my twins from tearing the house apart.

I hope to get it clean by kindergarden.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#11 of 26 Old 05-19-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novella View Post
  • "Crunchy" floor that could use a sweep and a wash (but doesn't have dust bunnies) = not disaster.
  • Clean clothing for people to wear, even it wasn't your first-choice outfit = not disaster.

sounds about right.

so glad i'm not the only one with a "crunchy" floor...

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#12 of 26 Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novella View Post
This is me too. However, it worries me that we're soon entering the crawling stage. I don't think a "crunchy" floor is going to cut it when the twins want to put everythign in their mouth. That's stressing me out so I might just have to dump anythign not kid friendly in a big box until the twins grow up more.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#13 of 26 Old 05-19-2010, 11:38 PM

Mine is spotless!

At least for the five minutes between when I clean it and whenever I allow the children back in the house.

Otherwise it is super "lived-in". Toys flung about, half a sink of dishes waiting for an empty dishwasher, and mud from the yard tracked across the floor.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#14 of 26 Old 05-20-2010, 12:52 AM

My house is filthy. I'm not even embarrassed about it anymore. When I have a free moment I'm definitely not going to waste it cleaning. I do keep on top of laundry but that's only because I enjoy it.

Karen, mama to one toddler (9/07) and twin babies (10/09)
#15 of 26 Old 05-20-2010, 02:13 PM

mine is ok. not amazing, but not terrible. the kitchen is always clean. after every meal, i clean up the high chair trays, wash whatever is in the sink and load the dishwasher, wipe down counters, throw the dishtowel on the floor and use my foot to wipe it up quick. keeps it OK, minimal effort, and the boys are usually happy and playing after a meal for the 15-20min it takes me...

i toss toys into a couple of giant bins after they go to bed at night.

i swiffer the floors (holy doghair) quickly before breakfast.

but the bathrooms would be totally gross and the wood floors in the house would not be clean if it weren't for the housekeeper every other week! worth every. single. penny.
#16 of 26 Old 05-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dividedsky View Post
but the bathrooms would be totally gross and the wood floors in the house would not be clean if it weren't for the housekeeper every other week! worth every. single. penny.
As I am without a housecleaner, I can agree that you're totally right!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#17 of 26 Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena 22 View Post
When I do get the house clean and do some cooking, I usually become a b*tch. No, don't touch that! Put that away! Don't pull that! It's like the toys and books and crap spread all over distracts my twins from tearing the house apart.
i can relate to that. our house is getting cleaner though as i have older children. when they chip in, it's great (cluttered, but clean) but when they just make mess it's very frustrating (we home ed too. it doesn't take long for everything to be out)

my twins are 19 months now and i've been cooking proper food fairly frequently for a few months i guess. before that I personally ate more convenience food than I care to remember

anyway, likely you are on the wrong board if you want to find a high proportion of immaculate houses so I guess that means you're in goood company

it really doesn't last forever. what helped me to get a groove going again was to allocate a room to a day of the week and do something in that room on that day. if it didn't happen, i let it go and looked to the next day. i also allocated a certain food type to day of week, so that if i couldn't think, it would give me an idea. like pasta/ rice/ potato dish.

and laundry just gets bunged in as and when. i try to make sure everyone has clean knickers and pants it usually works out ok

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#18 of 26 Old 05-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My twins aren't even born yet and my house is a disaster, LOL! Granted I have 4 other kids. I've never been so exhausted and sick in my life.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#19 of 26 Old 05-20-2010, 07:43 PM

it's 1 am, and I need to go to bed, but I wanted to say my house is a HUGE mess, and it drives me crazy. I was happy to see this thread here, as I really relate. It helps to know I'm not alone...

Rachel & Eli , with DS1 (7/99) and DS2 (11/01) twins DD1 & DS3 (01/10)
#20 of 26 Old 05-20-2010, 11:29 PM

Definitely a disaster here. And we're getting ready to put it on the market at the beginning of June. AAAAhhh.

Anyhow, I vaguely follow Flylady when I get a spare moment. Daily I do the following: I make sure to do a load of laundry and a load of dishes. I get dinner made. I try to sweep the hard floors, and do a quick "clorox wipe" clean of the sink & toilet in the bathrooms. I worked out a barter with my aunt, and she comes over once a week and helps me vacuum and mop the floors (and brings me lunch, lol.) This works for now if I keep up with it, but I don't know how it'll work when they're moving around!!

I've never been a "neat person" and I never understood people who lived in "show homes," but that's just me. I'd rather spend time relaxing with my family than getting my house to look like a magazine.

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#21 of 26 Old 05-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post
Mine is spotless!

At least for the five minutes between when I clean it and whenever I allow the children back in the house.

Otherwise it is super "lived-in". Toys flung about, half a sink of dishes waiting for an empty dishwasher, and mud from the yard tracked across the floor.
Yep! Mine is clean RIGHT NOW because I mopped right after they went to bed and not all of them are up (but four of six are doing a spankin good job of tearing it up). The amount of dishes and laundry alone for seven is mind-boggling!

It's BETTER than it was when I had twinfants. Good golly, it was BAD!
#22 of 26 Old 05-21-2010, 11:19 AM

Ours is OK. Not a complete disaster but definitely not as "clean" as I would like it. I find that we are just barely hanging on. I can keep on top of things alright but the minute we fall out of routine or want to get anything extra (mop floors, vacumn, deep clean bathroom, etc...) done it falls apart. I have a few tricks that help but mostly I just do what I can. I tend to do most everything in the morning. My kiddos are up around 5:30-6am. It's amazing what I can get done in the first few hours of the day. Laundry needs to be done almost everyday. I prep dinner in the morning. I make sure that the kitchen is always clean. It helps me mentally as we spend so much time in there and even if the rest of the house is falling apart there is one clean room. Toys are picked up almost every night because they are pretty much just thrown onto a shelf or box.

Crunchy floor is right . One of the downsides to hot summer weather and wearing barefeet. At least in the winter you don't know how much dirt and food there is on the floor.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#23 of 26 Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilysmama1124 View Post
Just wondering if everyone else has a house that is a disaster zone. We just can't get or keep it clean there is just no time. Please tell me your secret if you have figured out away to not CIO, sleep, cook, and keep your house in order with twins cause I have decided it is IMPOSSIBLE.

I have a housekeeper twice a month. She was here on Wed, and my house looks like a train wreck again. I just throw my hands up.

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

#24 of 26 Old 05-21-2010, 05:54 PM

My house is a disaster. We have a nanny, as both dh and I work ftoh. She does dishes, laundry and usually picks up right before she leaves. About 10 minutes after she's gone, we're back to disaster. My dh asked me last weekend why our house always looks like a war zone. I told him it was that we had twins who tore everything apart faster than I could clean it up.

Our house was very clean when we were growing up, floors mopped all the time, not a speck of dust to be found, etc. I asked my mom about it recently, and she told me that it was because she spent so much time cooking and cleaning that she left us to play a lot on our own. She also said she regrets that and if she had to do it all over again, she'd embrace the mess all in the name of making more memories with her little ones. I try to remember that when I'm dodging toys all over the place.

Denise, mama to ds1 (03/26/05) and boy/girl twins born 08/12/08
#25 of 26 Old 05-22-2010, 01:55 AM

I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone in the housework battle. I had to tell a friend (who keeps an exceptionally clean house) that she is NOT allowed to tell me about what she cleaned today.

I can do some things when my twins nap in the afternoon. I have realized that if I get one extra thing done, a lot of regular things do not get done. Like the day I cleaned my van, or put things on the new shelves in the laundry room - the house was a mess.

It's definitely a lot messier around here than it used to be, and it took a while to accept it.

Sunshine, wife and mom of 6...with b/g twins in '09
#26 of 26 Old 05-23-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia'sMom View Post
...it worries me that we're soon entering the crawling stage. I don't think a "crunchy" floor is going to cut it when the twins want to put everythign in their mouth. That's stressing me out so I might just have to dump anythign not kid friendly in a big box until the twins grow up more.
I just tell myself that the animal fur and crusties that make it into my little guys' mouths are helping them to develop a robust immune system! A good friend of mine grew up in a spotless, germ-free house and had the worst allergies and got sick four times a year until she left home and lived with messy roommates. As my grandma says, "God made dirt, so dirt don't hurt."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page