Petite moms of multiples - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
 
butterflies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've pretty much stopped mentioning the fact that I'm carrying 2 babies because about 80% of the time, people respond with "YOU are having twins? But OMG, you're so tiny!!"

I know being underweight does increase the risk of prematurity. I'm a researcher and I've looked at those studies-- severely underweight women that have the most serious risk and that's not me. My BMI places me just slightly into the "underweight" category. I eat well, rarely get sick but I have a small frame and have always weighed right around 100 lbs. My older children were full-term easy, uncomplicated births and I gained about 30 lbs with each.

So far, I'm paying close attention to nutrition (eating about 100 g of protein per day) and at 17 weeks have gained about 12 lbs. There no way I can do the full Barbara Luke diet and eat 3500 calories per day (i would explode!) but I've looked at it as a guideline for the types of foods to focus on.

Is there anything else any of you petite ladies would recommend? I'm thinking about a support belt and would love any specific recommendations there. Anything else I should be thinking about to help reduce the stress on my body and give these babies a good start?
butterflies is offline  
#2 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 09:26 PM
 
noralou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not quite as petite as you are, but it was hard for me to take in enough calories. The easiest way for me was with smoothies, with lots of high calorie ingredients. I drank a whole blender's worth every day between meals, starting in the middle of 2nd tri. I was surprised how quickly I got used to eating more. My typical smoothie had:

whole milk yogurt
whole milk
coconut oil
peanut butter or almond butter
whey protein powder
fruit (changing what kind so I didn't get too sick of it - frozen bananas, strawberries, peaches ...)
ground flax seeds

I didn't use a support belt, but as soon as I got uncomfortably big (about week 32), I was on bed rest. Hopefully you won't have to do that, but it might not be a bad idea to get help lined up just in case.
Best wishes for good health! You can do it.

bouncy.gif&babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif
noralou is offline  
#3 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 03:30 PM
 
poppan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought the Barbara Luke guidelines were ridiculous -- I started much bigger than you, at 140# and still couldn't do it.

Honestly if you are eating well I wouldn't worry about the quantity. The babies will take what they need and you are eating the right things and not starving yourself. I read that smaller-framed women have a harder time carrying multiples to term just because you run out of room faster, and I feel that was true in my case. (All the women I know IRL who carried their twins to term were taller/larger framed than me.) In retrospect I wonder if my babies had been smaller, if they would have lasted longer in there. (My water broke at 32.5 weeks, they think it was just a mechanical issue.) Being a good weight for his gestation (5#4oz at 34.5 weeks) did not prevent DS from a 6-week NICU stay. Not that I dwell on the what if's, but I kind of think if he had been 5#4oz at 37 weeks he wouldn't have had any NICU stay.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
poppan is offline  
#4 of 9 Old 06-22-2010, 05:40 PM
 
dividedsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post
I thought the Barbara Luke guidelines were ridiculous -- I started much bigger than you, at 140# and still couldn't do it.

Honestly if you are eating well I wouldn't worry about the quantity. The babies will take what they need and you are eating the right things and not starving yourself.
agreed! i am not as small as you, i was ~125lbs @ 5'3 before the babes. i ate when i was hungry, tried to stick to healthy, whole foods and avoided junk as much as possible... and i gained just fine. i don't remember ever really having that feeling like i had to gorge myself - i just ate kind of normally. i delivered my guys @ 32wks (cervix issue) and had gained about 45-50lbs by then. my boys are now 17mos and i'm 130lbs and feel good, again, just eating normally. i think your body will let you know what it needs. just treat yourself gently - relax as needed - eat well and you'll do fine!!!
dividedsky is offline  
#5 of 9 Old 06-24-2010, 02:45 AM
 
Shuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also have a small frame but carry very small. I just make small babies and didn't really look so pregnant until about 32 weeks when I suddenly "popped". I gained about thirty five pounds but both were transverse, so that may have had something to do with my small belly size. My boys were born at almost 37 weeks (there was one placenta and only one was growing), otherwise my OB was happy to let me go all the way to 40. With my singleton I didn't gain that much either and she was also a small baby.

I ate when I could and made it count. I made sure to drink a lot and enough (getting ready for nursing) and ate a ton of protein.

Good luck!

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

Shuli is offline  
#6 of 9 Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM
 
hotmamacita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies View Post
So I've pretty much stopped mentioning the fact that I'm carrying 2 babies because about 80% of the time, people respond with "YOU are having twins? But OMG, you're so tiny!!"

I know being underweight does increase the risk of prematurity. I'm a researcher and I've looked at those studies-- severely underweight women that have the most serious risk and that's not me. My BMI places me just slightly into the "underweight" category. I eat well, rarely get sick but I have a small frame and have always weighed right around 100 lbs. My older children were full-term easy, uncomplicated births and I gained about 30 lbs with each.

So far, I'm paying close attention to nutrition (eating about 100 g of protein per day) and at 17 weeks have gained about 12 lbs. There no way I can do the full Barbara Luke diet and eat 3500 calories per day (i would explode!) but I've looked at it as a guideline for the types of foods to focus on.

Is there anything else any of you petite ladies would recommend? I'm thinking about a support belt and would love any specific recommendations there. Anything else I should be thinking about to help reduce the stress on my body and give these babies a good start?
No sugar.
East green leafies and orange veggies, protein and iron-rich foods.
8 oz of water per hour all day. (*)
Salt your food. (*)
Rest.
NO SUGAR, white bread products, or JUNK FOOD.
These together can help keep your blood volume up and keep preterm labor at bay.
hotmamacita is offline  
#7 of 9 Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 PM
 
~bookcase~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the middle of sweet chaos.
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
really listen to your body, get a good support belt to try early on, rest as much as possible and try to eat MORE! lol.

i was underweight and ate well but not large quantities (i actually coudn't afford to at the time)

i think it is worth reading about preemies and was glad i did. but also remember that all those stats doesnt mean it will be you. expect the best and prepare for the rest.

i had awful spd that was never diagnosed officially, but since i couldn't walk i think i am safe to say it was it. lol. if i could afford it i'd get mayan massage done and any other therapies to make the pregnancy more comfy.
i'm sure there are petite mamas here who carried easily

congratulations

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

~bookcase~ is offline  
#8 of 9 Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
 
butterflies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been out of town for a few days and just getting to all the responses now. It's so helpful to hear everyone's experiences-- please keep them coming!

If any of you were WOH while pregnant, when did you need to make modifications to your work schedule?
butterflies is offline  
#9 of 9 Old 06-27-2010, 11:03 PM
 
Julia'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies View Post
I've been out of town for a few days and just getting to all the responses now. It's so helpful to hear everyone's experiences-- please keep them coming!

If any of you were WOH while pregnant, when did you need to make modifications to your work schedule?
I was WOH part-time when pregnant. My midwife recommended starting to slow down around 20 weeks. I kept up my 24 hour a week schedule a bit longer than that. By 24 weeks I did need to cut back as much as possible, which meant to 20 hours a week. I found I couldnt handle a work day longer than 7 hours. I really depended on the naps I got on my days off, so if you're working full-time, you may need to cut back sooner. Listen to your body, it will let you know.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
Julia'sMom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off