Twin stroller love? Need reviews please - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi y'all. I'm not having twins, just two 11 months apart.

I'm wondering what my best bet is for a tandem stadium-seat lightweight stroller. Is there any such thing?

What do you use and why do you love it? And - most important - how much does it weigh??

I'm looking for the BEST... preferably no more than $300.

Thanks!

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

#2 of 36 Old 07-07-2010, 07:52 PM

we had this one for our oldest 2 when they were little.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JDC8QE/...SIN=B003JDC8QE

it was great for the price. very manueverable, compact, folds up like an umbrella stroller. only one of the seats reclines (but it folds completely flat). if both kids had to sleep i would put the baby in a sling. it worked well until the oldest was around 3 - then it was getting more difficult to push and i found out i was pregnant with twins so we got a bigger double.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#3 of 36 Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 PM

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#4 of 36 Old 07-09-2010, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My "lightweight" stroller was an Ingelsina, which I liked. Side-by-side, umbrella-ish. Weighed something like 21-24 lbs. It's the Italian answer to the MacLaren. Not too expensive and held it's value. Re-sold for something like 40% of purchase price.

It was a great, all around stroller. I kept it in the back of my tiny Prius.

Although I really ended up using our Ergos more, only used the Ingelsina when I was out with the twins on my own.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#5 of 36 Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Me too

Celebrating the arrival of our twins twins.gifCharlie & Chloe, born Jan 28th 2011 !

#6 of 36 Old 07-09-2010, 09:26 PM

I love, love, love my MBUD (mountain buggy urban double) but it's side-by-side so not really what you wanted. Also now they have been bought by Phil & Ted and are now made in china (used to be made in new zealand). I love that it's super easy to push and steer.

I think if I had two kids 11 months apart I would get the Phil & Ted one with the second seat added. It's easy to push and has the footprint/width of a single stroller.

I also have a Combi Twin Savvy which is an umbrella side-by-side. I prefer it over the MacLaren because it's easier for me to push with one hand/arm since it has a push bar that goes all the way across (instead of handles on either side). This is the one I keep in the car. It is harder to push than my MBUD but is easier to bring along.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
#7 of 36 Old 07-10-2010, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

The reason I want a tandem vs a side-by-side is because I'm concerned I'll be constantly referee-ing my older baby to keep him from grabbing the newborn if they're that close together. But I'm also not wanting to lug around a 40-50 lb stroller. If I were having twins I would almost certainly go with a side-by-side.

Anyone got some magical answer that I haven't found yet? (Besides hope that this new baby will tolerate being worn? )

Thanks!

Lore, mom to my sweet little boy, born at home 11/09, and my spunky little girl, born in the hospital 10/10

#8 of 36 Old 07-10-2010, 01:05 PM

Check out the Phil & Ted's one... seriously, that's what I would get.
http://philandteds.com/en/productsus/pushus

#9 of 36 Old 07-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Well, I will have to let you know once the twins are here but I finally decided (today actually) to get the Mountain Buggy Duo. I was torn between the BOB Revolution and the MBD. What sold me was the more adjustable seating, the bigger basket, and the adjustable handle bar. Also, I liked that if I wanted to, I could get the pram. But I don't think Im going to bc it is such a short time we'd use it. (unless I can find a used one)

I wanted to get one stroller that I could use for our walks in the trail, an occasional jog, and everyday life. It looked comfortable enough that my almost 3 year old could also switch in and out, bc I still plan on wearing the twins when I can... (I just knwo Im going to need a decent stroller with three kids three and under!!!

This was definately a huge purchase for me... i never imagined buying such an expensive stroller.... but i think that we will be able to use it for years to come. It doesnt seem liek those that buy the MB end up looking for a different one down the road.
#10 of 36 Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 PM

Mauri--my twins are 3 yrs 3 mos and we still use our mtn buggy every day! They can walk (obviously) but if we go a long ways like walking to the library or the park, I will pop them in the stroller. They still fit in it fine.

The foot rest bar on my urban double (not sure about the newer models) will hold a (third) 3 yr old too so you might be able to push your twins AND your toddler if needed.

#11 of 36 Old 07-10-2010, 07:47 PM

A really cool looking stadium stroller is the new City Select by baby jogger. We are actually considering selling our MBUD and our Duoglider and getting the City Select instead (it accepts 2 infant car seats). That, combined with our double Chariot should be all we need.

Amy
mama to big brother Mason (Jan '05) and the littles, Adam and Holden (May '10)
#12 of 36 Old 07-10-2010, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppan View Post
Check out the Phil & Ted's one... seriously, that's what I would get.
http://philandteds.com/en/productsus/pushus
I have a hard time visualizing this. So the newborn would go in the back/bottom seat? Cuz I know my older baby would not be happy sitting behind something that blocked his view. I think I'd feel weird putting a tiny baby that close to the ground. I'd think they'd get splattered by water/mud/dust. Am I missing something?

#13 of 36 Old 07-10-2010, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by attached2mason View Post
A really cool looking stadium stroller is the new City Select by baby jogger. We are actually considering selling our MBUD and our Duoglider and getting the City Select instead (it accepts 2 infant car seats). That, combined with our double Chariot should be all we need.
Now THAT is a sweet stroller! A bit over our budget but if I can find it used...
Anyone know how much it weighs?

#14 of 36 Old 07-10-2010, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Aaaand... one more question...

Anyone use/love the Peg Perego Duette?

Thanks!

#15 of 36 Old 07-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxygirl View Post
I have a hard time visualizing this. So the newborn would go in the back/bottom seat? Cuz I know my older baby would not be happy sitting behind something that blocked his view. I think I'd feel weird putting a tiny baby that close to the ground. I'd think they'd get splattered by water/mud/dust. Am I missing something?
Unfortunately I never owned one... just drooled over it whenever I saw one. The moms I talked to said the lower seat was great for the baby because it's more protected (fewer people touching your baby uninvited) and can be nicely darkened for sleeping. The twin moms I talked to said for some reason their kids fought to sit in the back seat--I have to admit I never really understood that, but that's what people told me. I live in a fairly urban area so perhaps no one ran into dust/water/mud issues.

The city select looks awesome!

#16 of 36 Old 07-11-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Now THAT is a sweet stroller! A bit over our budget but if I can find it used...
Anyone know how much it weighs?
I think the site said 34 lbs as a double. I'm guessing you wont' find it used since it is new this year, but you never know! Worth a look, anyway. Definately pricey, for sure. A good stroller holds its value well, though, so resale price should be decent when you're done with it.

Amy
#17 of 36 Old 07-12-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A good stroller holds its value well, though, so resale price should be decent when you're done with it.
I agree. If we do manage to afford it (and my husband, after we checked one out at Buy Buy Baby, REALLY wants one!) that would be one reason we would consider buying one. There actually are some selling on ebay and, sure enough, they're selling for close to retail!

For those who are , I'm also considering the Kolcraft Contours Options Tandem. Similar to a City Select. It doesn't seem to be as nice/sturdy/user friendly from the reviews I've read but, hey! it's also over $400 cheaper!

#18 of 36 Old 07-12-2010, 02:37 PM

My older two are two years apart and I can tell you this- most tandem strollers are HEAVY! I've had three different ones. The "lightest" was my Eddie Bauer. It has a smaller wheel base. But even it wasn't that light.

By the time we really got into needing a stroller anyway (I wore my DS in a sling during babyhood) I found that my DD would walk. So I just used a single umbrella stroller.

I don't have much money for strollers and my DH wouldn't tolerate over a $200 purchase. So when I found out about the twins I got a snap n go (LOVED it) and now I have a Combi Twin Sport. I got both on craigslist ($40 & $100 respectively) and they were nearly brand new. After using the Combi I wish that's all I had ever purchased for any child since day 1. I can pull a cart while pushing the stroller with one hand!

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
#19 of 36 Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 PM

My older can walk, but it is very easy for her to get tired. So we bought a great twin stroller. It turned out to be great as it was lightweight and very sturdy. It even came with raincover and footmuff, which is great when it gets a bit nippy. Plus it also has chest pads and head protection for when they are little.

Here´s the link of the store we bought it at, in case you want to look at it.

http://babiesnkids.brinkster.net/bnk/index.php?cPath=63
#20 of 36 Old 07-13-2010, 07:38 PM

I second the Phil & Ted's. I have a Vibe with the doubles kit for my daycare and although I have put a small babe in the second seat, I find it easier to have them in the main seat.

I totally didn't 'get' it at first. In fact, I used to shake my head at the P&T's because I thought they looked, and seemed, well....stupid. But after trying one out I was completely sold and was like "WHY DIDN'T I SEE THESE SIX YEARS AGO????!!!"

The 'underwhere seat' as we call it ( think : under where? under there!) is awesome, the toddlers love it and I love the fact that if we're hanging out at a park or beach a little guy can just climb on in safely and have a rest if needed.

Now, the model I have is bulkier than the P&T's Sport or Classic (?) and really, it's overkill for what I, or probably anyone else for that matter would
ever use it for, but it still fits in the back of a Honda Civic, it's just, really, kind of more than what I need, kwim? The regular P&T's are awesome and can be picked up second hand for really great prices.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Oh also, if you do go with the traditional tandem, try to find something that has a cushy front seat. They're so much easier to push if the lighter weight child is up front.
#21 of 36 Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Aaaand... one more question...

Anyone use/love the Peg Perego Duette?

Thanks!

I loved mine. Before it was abused. By me. After a few years of hauling kids all over the world, being dragged on and off boats, being used as a dolly for outboards, etc, it kind of developed a bit of a pull to the left, along with a wobble and a clacking sound. ( It's now parted out as a go cart )

BUT, in it's glory days it was awesome. I loved, loved, loved it! I never used infant carseats in it, although you can, but could stroll my twins all over the place then just detatch the whole seat and carry them in. It had the boots for foul weather, large canopies, all the fabric could be tossed in the washer, plus when the kids got to be about one they would smack the @%&# out of each other at any opertunity, so all we had to do was turn the seats back to back. Problem solved. (temporarily)

The ONLY negative I found was that we couldn't fit it in our SUV when we had the 3'rd row seat up. I was just too big. (though it was once hauled cross country on the roof)

I was also given, at one point, the larger wheeled version (we were living in the county at the time) and it was basically the same, just bigger, and could do a lot more, like beaches, woods trails and fields.
#22 of 36 Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I am not a mom of multiples but I have a Phil & Ted's. I use it for my 2.5 year old and my 6 month old, but my older one is about the size of a 1.5 year old so that might help with your situation.

Although I have put the baby in the back I usually put her in the front because that way my toddler can get in and out. Technically if you put a child in the back and no one is in the front I think that the stroller could tip although it hasn't happened to me.

I love my stroller because it is very easy to push one handed even with 2 kids in it, and it is only as wide as a single stroller which is nice for the mall, the store, etc. But if you have a kid in the lower seat the storage space is extremely lacking. I cram our diaper bag in there anyway but the kids' legs either get all tangled up in it or they have to sit with legs crossed.

No regrets though. At least not until I saw that City Select, anyway!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#23 of 36 Old 07-14-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
No regrets though. At least not until I saw that City Select, anyway!
Are we all drooling over the City Select??

Sigh, more info, more choices! Thanks, everyone, for helping me try to find the perfect stroller!

#24 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 AM

I dont have twins but I have 2 DD's v close in age. I used a maclaren twin techno http://shop.maclarenbaby.com/Product...in+Techno.aspx

and it was fantastic, it is lightweight, folds up small enough to fit in the back of a small car & despite being side by side it is small enough to fit through standard size doorways etc. the way the seats are positioned when you have a NB or small baby lying down on one side they are too far back for the toddler to be able to reach to poke etc etc.

It lasted 2 years of everyday use with me and is now still being used everyday by a friend of mine who has a 2.5 year old and a 3mo old and is still going great

sahm mama to dd1 08/08/06 and dd2 27/11/07.. dreaming of her own smallholding one day...
#25 of 36 Old 07-15-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Are we all drooling over the City Select??

Sigh, more info, more choices! Thanks, everyone, for helping me try to find the perfect stroller!
Yes, I'm drooling over it . . . or perhaps obsessing is a better word

Would it be wrong to own a double Chariot, MBUD, Duoglider, AND the CIty Select? Yeah, probably . I'm trying to sell my MBUD but few people in my city seem to know how freaking awesome they are b/c they aren't often seen around here. Hopefully the duoglider will sell with no trouble.

Funny . . .with my singleton I didn't even own a stroller until he was a year old. Twins are a whole different ballgame it seems . . .

Amy
#26 of 36 Old 08-08-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja-belly View Post
we had this one for our oldest 2 when they were little.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JDC8QE/...SIN=B003JDC8QE

it was great for the price. very manueverable, compact, folds up like an umbrella stroller. only one of the seats reclines (but it folds completely flat). if both kids had to sleep i would put the baby in a sling. it worked well until the oldest was around 3 - then it was getting more difficult to push and i found out i was pregnant with twins so we got a bigger double.

I had one of these as my first double and I hated it with a passion! I found it to be horrible to drive (even with only 6 month olds) and it took up more space in the van than my new double. I think it was also just as heavy (30 pounds?) as my current DuoGlider. Plus, there's very little basket to speak of. I got one like this one (different color) http://www.amazon.com/Graco-DuoGlide...0&sr=1-2-spell and love it. Big wheels, big basket, easy to drive, both seats recline. I use it much, much more than the Eddie Bauer.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
#27 of 36 Old 08-08-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I WILL HAVE THIS STROLLER (when the twins are hee). ITS AMAZING AND I THINK ABOUT IT EVERY DAY.

Quote:
actually in the nb stage, the top seat zips all the way open and it turns into a kind of compartment that you put the baby into from behind...the toddler seat then goes on TOP of that, on the frame. so baby is in a little glovebox behind the jumpseat. i didnt use it very much for the nb phase cuz my daughter didnt like it. i just wore her and used the main stroller for my older child.

i like the vibe a lot. you can fold it down w/ both seats attached but i have never tried...i dont find it to be very compact, we have to put our third seat down in our expedition to have it ride w/ us...and the storage is kind of a bitch, too...they sell saddle bags for it...i really want us to get them....that is if we keep it or sell it and buy the city select.

what i LOVE about it is its size (footprint of a single stroller) and its maneuverability. it is VERY easy to steer w/ one hand, even...it does have a funky brake button on the handlebar that is easy to hit when you first get it but after awhile you learn not to knock it.

Quote:
I think the site said 34 lbs as a double. I'm guessing you wont' find it used since it is new this year, but you never know! Worth a look, anyway. Definately pricey, for sure. A good stroller holds its value well, though, so resale price should be decent when you're done with it.

i actually found two on craigslist...they in in box...shower gifts that someone was reselling...or at least that is what she said...she had two of the dang things...i figure by the time i'll need them, early next year...i'll be able to find them used, or the price will drop. i would like to push them, tho...the wheels are smaller than my p&t vibe and i wonder if it will be the same...

becky.
mama to m (3/96), o (8/07), p (5/09) and our twins: r (2/14/11) and l (2/15/11) 

#28 of 36 Old 08-09-2010, 05:57 PM

I have 19mos old twin boys and shopped around a lot for our sbs double. I started with a Snap n go and loved it! After that we went with a Chicco Trevi twin. I don't think they make them anymore but I absolutely love mine!! I love that it folds up like an umbrella stroller and I can put it in the back of my van with one hand and have an almost 30lb toddler in my arm, since it has a handle on the side. Both seats recline, each have a basket. The only down side is the canopies for both seats aren't very large. It moves really nicely and can be steared with one hand if need be.

Now that I have seen this City Select from Baby Jogger, I would love to see it in person!! Although I love my sbs I don't like taking it in stores b/c it is sbs. I have a hard time sometimes getting through doorways. I think the tandem City Select would be great for shopping!! I don't know if I could justify the cost when my kids are heading to 2 yrs old and can walk. Oh well, a girl can dream, right?

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
#29 of 36 Old 08-14-2010, 09:14 AM

I really like the city mini by baby jogger. With a twoyear old and twins it's great because it fits a twin and tired two year old while I wear the third. It also fits through door ways except for tiny older ones in little shops downtown. I found it more manouverable that the in line strollers. Also it folds super easy
Disadvantages - doesn't fit car seats ( but we don't have a car so moot point for us) Hard to reach basket for stuff, straps aren't too easily adjustable so if I want to put both twins in and carry dd1 it takes a bit of fiddling. But given our options for double stroller this one wins.
If my husband is with me we just each carry a baby and bring the umbrella stroller as back up for when DD1 gets tired.

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

#30 of 36 Old 08-15-2010, 07:08 PM
RSG

I just got the city micro by baby jogger, and am loving it so far (it's only been two days). I had a double snap and go; but I just can't lift those car seats anymore, it doesn't stroll well anyway. I also have valco baby with the jump seat for my toddler, but it's too heavy to lift and really doesn't fit in my smallish mini van - I just use it for walks from home. The city micro doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles; but I just can't justify another fancy stroller. I had a phil and ted until I realized we were having twins... and a cool micralite fastfold - neither would do me any good now! I figure my 2.5 year old is big enough to walk most places; and if he really gets tired, I'll just wear a baby and he can ride. I could also get a ride-along board for the city micro; but not sure I want to spend still more money...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page