Recs for vag-friendly OBs in Denver? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-26-2010, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really really really wanted to deliver at our local birth center but as I've discovered I'm pregnant with twins, that risks me out of the birth center.

I had my son with a midwife at University Hospital, but that's out too as the midwives aren't allowed to deliver twins.

So I'm on the search for an OB experienced delivering twins vaginally and who will be supportive of me wanting to go natural.

I thought you ladies might be a good resource if anybody happens to be from the Denver area. Or even if you have suggestions about resources to tap.

Thanks!

Mom to Owen, 7/14/06
Expecting twins after 2+ years of IF, failed IVF and FET ~2/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-26-2010, 01:46 PM

I saw Anne Walters initially in my twin pregnancy three years ago and she said she would deliver twins. I have to admit, I wasn't overly impressed with her bed side manner. She wasn't a very warm/fuzzy person. In the practice I sent a link for is a woman named Mary Wilterdink- again, I don't know her personally, but know people who do and love her.

I decided to use an OB who I loved! OB Associates- 303-730-6000. It's a practice of two male OBs and a nurse practitioner (who very much reminded me of a midwife). One of the OBs was my neighbor so I didn't see him much, but he is definitely more "wholistic" minded. I was planning a vaginal birth all the way through until the end. I think the OBs were more open about all the birth options, however, Littleton Hospital was pretty insistant on wanting an epidural during the delivery.

I ended up having a c-section- my choice, which I absolutely thought was the best decision for me. I breezed right through recovery- and now you can't even tell I had surgery. You can PM me if you want to talk more....

Swedish Medical Center
#3 of 6 Old 07-31-2010, 12:14 AM

Dear Little Os Mom,

I originally wanted a natural/homebirth in a tub but when we found out we were first having triplets, that all changed. When I was 6 weeks pregnant, one fetus absorbed and I am now 31 weeks pregnant on bed rest with twins. I looked into Mountain Midwifery but wasn't accepted because of the multiples situation.

I researched lots and came across All About Women's Care (http://allaboutwomenscare.com/home.html) where their slogan remains true, 'Women Caring for Women.' When I had my first appt I was a little nervous since I didn't plan on seeing anyone else, but as I entered their dim, peaceful, and candle lit office, I was assured that I was in the right place. I liked All About Women's Care because 1.) there is an all female staff (OB-Gyns, CNMs, and RNs) and 2.) it's connected to Swedish Hospital where my mother-in-law has worked for 42 years!

I met with Jayne Jones, CNM who is just wonderful, has a great bedside manner, explains everything really clearly, listened to any questions I had, and took her time with my husband and I. All her focus was on us. When they later did an u/s and found out that I had an incompetent cervix, I was then introduced to Dr. Nancy Germer and was admitted to the hospital for bed rest for 2 weeks. I am thankfully now on home bed rest but Dr. Germer is also quite wonderful. She is open, has a great bedside manner, funny and lighthearted, and also takes her time answering any questions we may have.

I would definitely recommend All About Women's Care to anyone who would like to feel cared for, heard, respected, and valued. My stay at Swedish was more than I'd expected a hospital to be (since I never really wanted to step foot in one in the first place). Everyone (RNs, cleaners, NICU nurses, perinatologist RNs, doctors, etc) was very helpful, accommodating, and came to visit me and check on me lots! Hands down, I would recommend meeting these fine women who surely know what they are doing and who will sensitively listen to you with care and an open mind and heart!
#4 of 6 Old 08-04-2010, 06:46 PM

I'm not sure where you are in Denver, but if you run short of options there, I had my twins naturally with Dr. Baer here in CO Springs (and had a doula present, as well). He catches babies at Memorial North now, on the north side of the Springs.

Cindi, mama to Hannah (7/04) :, Eli & Sam (6/06) :
#5 of 6 Old 08-05-2010, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can you ask the Birth Center if they have any ideas?

Kris: "auntie" to W (7yrs)  and Z (5yrs)

→Waiting to start my own little family←
#6 of 6 Old 08-09-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

The birth center suggested Dr. Michael Hall. I know he's their backup. I have a couple of friends who have seen him for various procedures related to delivery at MMC and haven't been overly impressed with his bedside manner. He is definitely a "baby catcher," though and even does vaginal breech births. I decided, though, not to go with him because he's in practice by himself and I'm nervous about ending up in labor with a random backup person.

I also considered Dr. Dorr at Littleton OB/GYN because I have a background with him and have always liked the practice and his bedside manner. He has about a 50% vaginal delivery rate with twins and will attempt a vaginal delivery if twin A is head down. I'm not sure how supportive he'd be of me going without an epidural, etc, though. I have an appointment there in 2 weeks.

BUT, the PA at my RE's office told me that there are midwives in town who can/will delivery twins. So I also made an appointment at the Swedish Hospital Midwifery group. They're supposed to call me back today and answer some questions, so I'll see after I talk to one of them which way I want to go. I'm leaning towards the midwives with a perinatologist thrown in the mix.

Mom to Owen, 7/14/06
Expecting twins after 2+ years of IF, failed IVF and FET ~2/2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page