Hospital birth with twins - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2010, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One other thing with recovery. The initial recovery was fine and my scar healed excellently. However, it did take me a lot longer to heal from the twin birth than the singleton. I was bleeding for a full 8-10 weeks and every time I'd try and do it alone, the bleeding got heaver. So, I did need help for a while just because my body was not up to doing what my mind wanted to do. Not horrible, but a surprise for me.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id...d=121048753283

I had read that you're *supposed* to bleed less with a c-section--not with me, I bled a full 6 weeks.

Mophine did nothing for me, and Mag made me sleepy (almost drunk). Oh, and the Dr put Reglan in my IV for nausea, but it also worked well on my milk supply.

~Danelle~ Mama to four wonderful, intact kiddos ~~ Cami (10), Jimmy (5), Ella & Alex (2/09), and Newbie due 8/11 
Old 08-12-2010, 07:37 PM

I planned for a home birth but unfortunately my water broke at 32.5 weeks. I was on hospital bedrest for 2 weeks and agreed to an induction at 34.5 weeks. So you can tell that things were not good from the start.

The morning of the induction, I started in a L&D room with the pitocin drip. 2 hours later I was at 9cm which took everyone by surprise. I was immediately wheeled into the OR and had a "just in case" epidural catheter placed but not dosed. My labor stalled. For the next 4 hours I sat there on an uncomfortable, narrow steel gurney in a freezing cold, scary looking OR with my husband, RN and midwife and made no further progress. I remember the nurses laughing at the sight of me hopping on and off the steel operating table by myself and wheeling my IV pole to the bathroom, then coming back under my own power again. I guess it was an unusual sight because people in the OR don't normally walk in and out on their own power.

After four hours they put me back in the L&D room to see if the change of surroundings would get me to 10cm. No dice and they couldn't turn up my pitocin drip because one of my twins was already showing signs of stress with every contraction. In the end I was wheeled back to the OR for an "emergency" c-section because I wasn't getting fully dilated and DS was showing stress on the monitor.

Things that surprised me... even with the "emergency" c-section it took them 45 minutes to get everything set up. I shook and shook and it felt freezing cold, my teeth literally chattered. I was terrified because DH was not allowed in until they were all set and ready to cut. And I was totally loopy/outright unconscious from about halfway through the operation to hours afterwards. I was sad that I didn't get to see my placenta or keep it. My husband said there was blood everywhere and my stomach was on the table. He's exaggerating but I guess they take the uterus out to sew it back up? I wish he had taken a picture of that because perversely I later wanted to know exactly what happened and what it looked like.

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
Old 08-13-2010, 11:42 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...056&highlight=

DH and I are expecting twins July 15. Holy crap wish us luck.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:03 AM

When I found out I was pregnant I was really excited. My first daughter was a hard birth. She was large, took a long time and eventually was born with forceps...lots of tearing and stitches. I got back in contact with my midwives and we planned a home birth. The midwife scheduled an ultrasound to check my dates since I was a little unsure of my last period.

At the ultrasound they found twins! Exciting and scary. I went back to the midwife and found out that they wouldn't keep me on with twins and was transfered to an ob. I started to worry. Everyone has lots of stories about twins...they'll come early, you'll need surgery for sure, they'll be really small. I was told I would have to deliver in a hospital and almost certainly in an ER.

My huband and I decided that we wanted to move closer to family since we would have 3 under 2. We moved and I was transfered to another OB who said I would most likely have surgery since only 2 doctors out of six in the practice would consider delivering twins vaginally. The doctor oncall was the one who would deliver me, so I had no choice.

When we moved we found out our neighbour was a midwife. I told her the story that midwives couldn't deliver twins and my disastification with the two OBs I had seen. She said that the midwives here would take me on, but as shared care. I was very relieved. The vists withthe midwives were much more informative than the 10 minutes with the OB. I still had to go to the hospital and would still more than likely be recommended for surgery even though both babies were vertex and without complication. I hoped to get one of the OBs who would deliver twins.

My water broke at 37 wks 2 days. We went to the hospital and paged my midwife. When we got there I was 4 centimetres but not really contracting. The nurse hooked me up to the monitors. Soon the contractions got really strong. The nurse eventually decided to get a labour and delivery room ready. I was in a lot of pain and they wanted to put in an epidural. I still didn't know who was on call.

When I got the the labour room the midwives came. They said the doctor on call always delived twins by c-section so I should be prepared for that. The OB came in and checked me and I was 9 centimetres. She wanted to try a vaginal birth even though she hadn't done one with twins before. I was very happy to hear that. She insisted on the spinal so I had that done, and within a few pushes my son was born. My daughter came 10 minutes later! It was a great birth! Although, as other people have mentioned there were a lot of people in the room. We even had a co-op student lol! But I planned for the worst and ended up with a great birth, even though it was in the hospital.

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

Old 08-14-2010, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks everyone! I'm still reading and taking it all in...

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 08-15-2010, 01:56 AM

I thought I had mine written somewhere on here, but I couldn't find it.

7.5ya so the details are a little hazy but --

MZ twins with TTTS; I was induced at 34w due to IUGR for several weeks (as seen in u/s) in baby A. I had a lot of u/s and NST and BPPs during the pregnancy due to TTTS. I was on bedrest from the day I found out I was having twins -- with TTTS, no less -- at 18w til the day I gave birth.

I was induced with cervidil; I never needed any pit. The cervidil put me right into labor and they were born about 8h after it was inserted. Not bad for a 34w primip! I'm so grateful that the labor was fairly short.

I labored in a room on the "high-risk" floor -- basically it just meant I was hooked up with continuous EFM and there was no birth tub or anything cool like that. I had a fantastic doula who helped hold the monitors in place so that I could stand upright -- I stood up for most of the labor. I am very grateful to her. I'm not sure I could have had a vaginal birth in the hospital without her.

I got off the monitors as frequently as possible to pee. I remember that being hooked up to two fetal monitors and one ctx monitor was REALLY annoying. It was hard to keep them in place. Luckily the nurses left me alone for the most part.

I had an epidural (by choice; I wasn't into natural birth back then!) and felt the urge to push when baby A's water broke (spontaneously, fairly soon after the epidural). At that point I was rushed into an OR and could only have one person with me. I chose my mom (I was a single mom of twins, so it was just between my mom and my doula).

There were at least 10 people in the room. OB, MFM, nurses, Neonatal doc, two NICU nurses -- and for all I know there was a freakin' orderly cleaning up in there, or a student, or a person reading time off the clock. I didn't really care, except that they were all YELLING at me, different things coming from different people. That was kind of scary, plus the urge to push was INTENSE. I felt overwhelmed.

Baby A shot out without crowning. He was the donor, only 3lbs 11oz. Baby B's water broke about five minutes later and his foot slid out. At that point, the team really started to yell at me to push. I did, and out he came. He was 5lbs 10oz.

I'd been told that because there was a size discrepancy, and because B was bigger, it might be hours between them, but it was only about 10 minutes, if that. As soon as they were out, I thought, "I can totally do this again!" and I did, twice more, at a birth center and at home. And planning another homebirth with this one.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 08-15-2010, 07:58 PM
RSG

I posted my story a while back... but here's the short version: At 39 weeks I had a appt. with the midwives in the am, was checked and had some bloody show (yay!) and membranes stripped. Had no symptoms until about 4pm after a walk. Contractions started coming regularly, went to hospital at about 6pm. Was progressing nicely, had good support from my aunt (a professional doula), my mom and DH. At about 9pm, was checked and was about 7cm. Midwife suggested she break my water, but warned me the contractions might get 'more intense'. I choose to have some fentanol(sp?) administered in my pic line - which I had to have due to hospital policy. The placing of the line was bad - but I'm needle phobic and kind of a wienie... we requested the anesthesiologist place it as the nurse messed up twice. The meds provided a nice reprieve and allowed me to labor comfortably for two more hours. At 10cm, I was moved into the operating room. This was hospital policy too, I thought it would be a bummer; but I really didn't care at that point. I got to stay on the same bed, everyone came with me, and the room was nice and cool. The doc on call had talked with us about an epidural - I think she felt like she had to make sure I understood all the possible scenarios; but she was respectful when I told her no way. The midwife delivered baby A with the doc next to her; and then baby B about 20 minutes later. I am told that the doc was manually keeping my cervix open - but I don't have a memory of that. I was really internally focused and in my own labor land. There were a lot of people in the room, but they didn't say anything to me and I was surrounded by my chosen people, so I felt protected. As soon as the babies were wrapped and weighed we were able to hold them and have skin to skin contact. We were never apart after that - even co-slept in the hospital bed. I feel really fortunate that my hospital (a baby-friendly co-op) was able to provide me with what I wanted and that even the 'policies' were things I could deal with.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have not had twins, though a friend did. She ended up with a c-section due to both being breech, though. You said something about preventing a pph ahead of time. The only things I know of are taking Vit K and iron to build up a good blood supply pre-birth. I would say RRL but with an increased chance of premature labor with twins, I don't know if I'd swing that one.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 08-17-2010, 03:59 PM

32+3 weeks, baby A oblique breech on arrival (4-5 cms dilated) section recommended, got onto all fours, PRAYED!!!!!!!! swung my hips, baby A started descending before they knew what was happening baby A got taken away from me way too abruptly (i would beware of that next time, have my birth partner on the ball for that bit. tell them to leave the cord, have skin to skin even if i just touched a hand)

everyone then started shouting for me to turn round so they could palpate twin B. i ignored them mercifully twin B then descended and was born within 4 minutes. same with immediate cutting of cord but i did get a quick cuddle with her before they then whipped her off and she didn't need ventilating as her brother did which i swear is down to that initial contact.

we had to wait 40 mins to hear what was happening no one was allowed down i'd address that too next time

but we got a double breech vaginal birth and i was soooooooooo grateful for that as i needed to do a lot of walking the week after to make sure they got their mama milk

that's the quick story!!

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

User Tag List