Hospital birth with twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tell me (or link me to) your hospital birth with twins story. I'd also love to hear what you expected, how things really turned out, what you wish you had done differently, anything you think I should know.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...andrew+william

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
Old 08-06-2010, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post
Thanks! I'll read it and be back with any questions.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 08-06-2010, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OK...

1. When you say "recuperate" from the Mag Sulfate, what do you mean? What did it do to you (besides stop the contractions)?

2. Were you able to room in with twins?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:49 AM

Subbing.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 AM

I had a scheduled c due to Twin B flipping back and forth in my last 2-3 weeks from head down to breech position. I was extremely conservative about my pregnancy and (a) didn't want to find myself in an emergency c situation (due to Twin B flipping from head down to breech after Twin A delivered) or due to other complications and (b) couldn't have lived with myself if something happened with Twin B (prolapse/early placenta detachment) that a c-section could have prevented, despite those risks being minimal.

My c-section and recovery from the c-section itself was remarkably non-painful, with the following caveats:

(a) I am what is called a bad "prick" (ha-ha), in that it is very hard to draw blood or put in an iv line. I had informed everyone of that in advance, especially as I was at a teaching hospital and wanted a very experienced hand on the needle. I am NEVER believed on this point by anyone medical, and ended up being stuck 7 times before they found a useable vein for the IV. They promptly lost that vein in the process of transferring me from the guerney onto the operating table, and only the senior anesthiologist was able to procure a useable vein in the end.

(b) Had a bad reaction to one of the drugs used during the c-section (one of the newer antibiotics was suspected). Heartrate/pressure dropped and the sensation was like a ton of bricks on my chest making it difficult to breathe. They addressed the issue quickly, and I was never in the danger zone. However, as a result I do not really remember the birth of my Twin B (struggling to breathe at the time).

(c) Some vaginal hemorraging immediately after the c-section (several pints of blood lost, but no need for a transfusion).

(d) An unusual complication after the c-section called Ogilvie's Syndrome post-partum (which is when your colon stops functioning). After abdominal surgery, your bowels shut down as a protective mechanism, and are the last part to "wake up" after the surgery. In addition, the narcotic painkillers can also wreak havoc on the bowels' normal operation. Thus, being "stopped up" after a c-section is not terribly, terribly unusual. They have a gas pill they like to give and recommend lots of walking to wake up the bowels. However, my situation with the Ogilvie's Syndrome was much more unusual and serious (and my complaints got ignored as being a standard embolus after c-section).

A first-year resident really may have saved my life. She had stopped by as one of the final medical visits before they planned to discharge me to discuss (of all things) my plans for post-partum contraception. I mentioned to her that there had been no progress on my bowel situation (I was so filled with air that when she tapped on my belly it sounded like a drum and I still looked pregnant) and both my husband and I were very concerned and had been ignored by everyone else. She FINALLY, FINALLY was one who ordered an X-ray. Two hours after the X-ray, a surgical team stopped by since the films indicated that I was a good candidate for my bowel bursting.

My advice before going in for a c-section and during the process:

(1) Have contingency plans prepared: what will happen if you are discharged before the babies, AND what will happen with the babies if they are discharged before you (which is what occurred in my situation).

(2) Hold off eating solid food for as long as possible after the c-section or eat as lightly as possible.

(3) Walk, walk, walk after the c-section! Limit use of narcotics as much as possible.

(4) The squeaky wheel gets the grease. However, pregnant/post-partum women are frequently viewed as being unbalanced or on the edge of being unbalanced. You need your husband or partner advocating for you very firmly and very repeatedly (but NOT emotionally). If you don't think its normal, its probably not and don't let the nurses blow you off. Also, if more than one team is involved in your care (at one point I had ob, surgery, gastro and medicine teams involved) make sure you understand who is coordinating your case amongst the teams and make sure that person is being responsive to your needs and answering your questions about which course of treatment is being followed and why.

(5) Be aware that ob specializes in one thing -- ob, and its surprising the amount of ignorance they can have on other topics. After being diagnosed with the Ogilvie's Syndrome, ob was still ordering enemas for me. The gastro guys basically straight up said afterwards that an enema was of absolutely no use with my syndrome and would not "re-start" my colon. The other teams felt the necessity to defer to ob (despite, in the case of gastro, not agreeing with the course of treatment), and I felt that ob did not involve me enough in the decision-making process and in the discussion of my options.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
OK...

1. When you say "recuperate" from the Mag Sulfate, what do you mean? What did it do to you (besides stop the contractions)?

2. Were you able to room in with twins?
1. Mag sulfate is evil. I've it twice with the same reaction, first with DS1 for pre-e and then with the twins for PTL. It is a muscle relaxer and it makes me twitchy, restless leg, foggy head, blurred vision, tanks my blood pressure, chills with hot flashes, etc. It takes two weeks for it to fully leave my system. My mom stayed with me because I couldn't stand up long enough to cook. That said, it did it's job both times.

2. YES! They were in nicu for a short time and then in my room. They shared a room in the nicu. In my room the nurses put them in the same basinet. Our nurse was sweet and recommended that I try having them share a bed or even share my bed when we got home. She said it would make nursing them so much easier if they were in bed with me. The lactation consultant asked me to come volunteer at the hospital or show up for new mom meetings because they didn't get many twin moms who nursed.

The nurses did offer to take the boys from 3am to 6am to let me sleep, but they weren't pushy about it. I should have taken them up on it.

Overall, an amazing experience!

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
Old 08-06-2010, 02:05 PM

Subbing and looking forward to more stories or links

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 08-06-2010, 05:50 PM

Old 08-07-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Tell me (or link me to) your hospital birth with twins story. I'd also love to hear what you expected, how things really turned out, what you wish you had done differently, anything you think I should know.
What I expected: I wanted to have a vaginal delivery, but was told by my OB that they would let me try it with an epidural. Ultrasounds showed Twin B was larger than twin A, and twin B was also breach.

How things really turned out: No epidural, natural delivery because nurses did not administer the epidural in time. I screamed (more like blood curdling screams) during the delivery of twin A. In hindsight, I was really scared. In my mind, I thought I only had 2 choices - 1) vaginal delivery with epidural 2) C-section. I did not expect a vaginal birth, no drugs. I was scared of what was happening, and did not know what to expect. Because the labour came on so fast, and I delivered both babies very quickly (they pulled out twin B because her heart rate was dropping and they could not turn her) I ended up with severe post partum hemorraging. They tried to slow down the blood flow with medication via rectum and also needles in the uterus. I lost a lot of blood and needed a blood transfusion.

What I wish I knew: I wish I could have mentally prepared myself for a vaginal birth, no drugs. I was a basket case. And, I was not prepared for the post partum hemorraging either.

Mommy to Katherine (June '05) , Calvin (born an angel on January 25, 2009 at 29.5 weeks gestation) , and Samuel and Sabrina (December '09)
Old 08-07-2010, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisLane View Post
Thanks for posting this!

And holy crow, why were there 11 people at your delivery?!?!? Is that typical?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat's Mommy View Post
I ended up with severe post partum hemorraging. They tried to slow down the blood flow with medication via rectum and also needles in the uterus. I lost a lot of blood and needed a blood transfusion.

What I wish I knew: I wish I could have mentally prepared myself for a vaginal birth, no drugs. I was a basket case. And, I was not prepared for the post partum hemorraging either.

I've heard that the post partum bleeding is worse with twins. Is there anything to do preemptively to help with this?

Old 08-07-2010, 01:09 AM

I was able to be the doula this week for a natural twin birth. It took place in a hospital and the mom declined the epidural that her OB wanted her to have in case there had to be a C-section. Both babies were born vaginally with no complications.

I would highly recommend having a doula for a twin birth.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 08-07-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting this!

Head count in the room while I birthed:
midwife and two nurses- primary team
anesthesiologist
ob
surgical nurse
two nurses for twins
two peds for twins
tech for respitory therapy
DH and me

Old 08-07-2010, 06:29 PM

The birth of my boys happened totally by surprise, and very early. In the week or 2 leading up to their birth I had been sick, in particular, with a GI virus that gave me awful poops for daaayyysss. This left me super dehydrated and made preterm contractions start. I went to the hospital at one point because of the early contractions and was put on an IV to rehydrate and given terbutaline for the contractions. I stayed for a few hours, then went home. I was told to just let the diarrhea run its course, and call if the contractions got regular again.

Then one night a few days later, the hubs and I were walking into the pharmacy located at the hospital to pick up some meds, and as we're entering the building, I stop and say: "Either I just peed myself, or my water just broke!!" Uhmmm, say what?!?!

We head directly to the L&D floor, and sure enough, it was a broken sac. I'm admitted and taken care of to try to (a) keep the babies in for as long as possible, while (b) reducing the risk of infection, too-early delivery, and other complications. I was given terbutaline to relax the contractions, and steroids to hasten lung development. The kids are only 30 weeks, 4 days at this point.

I actually had to be transferred to another hospital that could take earlier babies. The one I started at could only handle babies 32 weeks +, so I got my first ambulance ride that night! Settled in the new hospital, we stayed overnight in my new home. I would be stuck in the hospital until I deliver because of the broken sac. It could be for one day, several days, or possibly weeks. My cervix was closed, so we just had to wait and see.

By the next afternoon though, I'm having more frequent and intense contractions, which terbutaline does little to tame. Then we find out the cervix is dilated 3 cm -- this dilation happened in about a 2 hour time span. The doctor suggests an epidural to slow things down, as well as pain relief (of course). I hesitate because I don't want it to lead to the epidural-pitocin downward spiral (my first choice would be to deliver naturally, but I know that there are extra risks with twins, so this is an issue I had been struggling with the entire pregnancy). Finally, after much debate and consideration, I agree to see the anesthesiologist. I take the epidural because the labor is progressing quickly at this point. Both babies are vertex, so I opt for vaginal delivery + epidural so that on the off-chance something goes wrong after the first is delivered, an emergency c/s will be possible without general anesthesia. It was a very difficult choice, but ultimately I thought the risk of having to be knocked out completely in case of an emergency c/s was worse than taking an epi. So, by the time the epidural is in there is NO cervix left. This determined baby is coming out!

I start pushing at about 10:15 pm or so, and an hour later, Baby A is born! I hadn't gone to any childbirth classes yet, but I've seen a lot of videos, and read a lot of stuff, so I kind of knew what I was doing!

One doctor was there to guide Baby B downward, to make sure he didn't flip around, and he didn't! He slid right out on the heels of Baby A with one push, 5 minutes apart.

Sadly, since they were so early (30w5d) they had to be kept in the NICU. This part sucks b/c I was really looking forward to the immediate bonding and BF'ing right after delivery. But that's life. Their lungs were too immature to be out of the NICU, and so they had to stay there for what turned out to be a grueling six weeks.

But I made the most of the NICU time. I was there for 7-12 hours every day, I kagarooed them all the time, practiced BF'ing when they were ready, and got to be pretty pro at tandem nursing! It was helpful to have the nurses around because they were excellent teachers and assistants at helping me learn how to do it. I also got to learn all about infant care from the nurses and doctors, so I was pretty prepared once I got them home. I never felt clueless at home, like I imagine lots of new parents do.

The best part is that now we have our babies here safe and sound! And they're growing and developing splendidly!

Photobucket of Babies: http://photobucket.com/VilloriaBoys

Anthony & Vincent (little Tony & Vinny).
3.2 lbs, 16.5", and 3.5 lbs, 16.5"
5/21/10 at 11:12 pm and 11:17 pm.

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
Old 08-07-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting this!

I had a similar amount of people:
2 ob's - one catching and one guiding
2 nurses attending me
1 surgical nurse
1 anesthisiologist
1 neonatologist and 2 Nicu nurses per baby (6 ppl total)
the hubs
13 in all, iirc.

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
Old 08-07-2010, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
I really want one. As a matter of fact, it was my counterdemand when DH said he would not be comfortable with a twin homebirth. But unfortunately, I can't find one to in my area. Want to come down to Williamsport?

Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Head count in the room while I birthed:
midwife and two nurses- primary team
anesthesiologist
ob
surgical nurse
two nurses for twins
two peds for twins
tech for respitory therapy
DH and me
Whoa. This is definitely something for me to ask about. One of the things I hated most about my previous hospital birth was people yelling at me about how to push. In my mind, the more people there, the more people who might try bossing me around. I hate that.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Jane91 and ShanaV, thank you for sharing your stories as well! I'll admit, they're really hard for me to read-- I'd like to believe I'm going to hold onto these babies until at least Thanksgiving (I'm due 12/6) and have a natural vaginal birth, but I know I need to "expect the best and prepare for the worse." I'm also wondering how I would possibly negotiate a c section and/or a NICU stay with 4 other children at home.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:47 AM

i get driven nuts when i think about folks telling me to push or do things like that, i have the distinct feeling i may end up cussing a few folks right out of my room if they dont keep their mouths shut

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:48 AM

Hopefully you don't have to have a C-section, but mine was really normal except for a few things....

I got morphine along with my spinal tap and I vomited many times after they wheeled me to the recovery room. And then was dizzy for 24 hours. Of course you also have to lay down for 24 hours which is not fun. You have a catheter. And the pain getting up the first time was terrible. But recovery was pretty easy, no complications. I was taking care of my 2 year old and twins by myself after 1 week. I had some help, but was pretty ok pain-wise by week 2.

I was not happy with the nursing staff at the hospital though. I could have had the babies room in, but they took the girls the first night, since I was so sick. Since I didn't feed them as much, my milk didn't come in as fast as it should of...had a month of trying to get my milk to come in, pumping, etc. I was sick, but I should have roomed in with them. I was so tired that I couldn't fight the nurses. Make sure your partner/advocate knows you want those babies with you, if possible. I did end up breastfeeding exclusively after the first month and at almost age 2 they are STILL nursing! It was a real fight initially though.

Sarah Joy
Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 PM

My boys were born at 35 weeks. Both head first, and no complications at all!
My two first births both took me about 10 hours from the first "yeah, this IS contractions" until they were born. My twin birth took me about 4-5 hours.
I`ve had a problem with bleeding the two first births, so heavy under my 1st that i needed blood transfusion.
But the twin birth was just so quick, easy, and no abnormal bleeding.
They spent 2,5 weeks in the NICU, and have been healthy and thriving ever since.

Proud Norwegian mother of four intact boys, expecting a little baby May 2011!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:37 PM

RE: What 11 people were doing in the room...

There was one OB, two nurses for me, an anesthesiologist, a nurse with him, a NICU doctor and two nurses for each babe... and my husband. Before hand, I would have thought it would bother me (and I also thought I wouldn't like birthing in the OR), but by the time it happened, none of those things bothered me at all. I felt like they were all on my side, rooting for me, when I thought of them at all. Mostly I was in that birthing zone, and it happened SO much faster than it did for my DS (3.5 hours of pushing).

Good luck! It all passes so quickly (says someone who suddenly has five year old twins!)
Old 08-08-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Whoa. This is definitely something for me to ask about. One of the things I hated most about my previous hospital birth was people yelling at me about how to push. In my mind, the more people there, the more people who might try bossing me around. I hate that.
I think I got really lucky on that count. After the OB and anesthesiologist introduced themselves, the only people who talked to me (especially during the last few minutes of labor and through pushing) were the midwife and one of the nurses. All the nurse told me was "Umm, I really need you to lift your top leg or the baby can't come out"

It was cold and I was laying on my left side with my legs clamped together HARD. I just laughed when she said that and forced myself to loosen that leg up for her.

Everyone was really quiet and used gentle, respectful tones.

When I describe my experience to people in other parts of the country, they can't seem to believe how much faith the docs and staff in the hospital had for my body's ability to birth the twins. Maybe I live in the twighlight zone or something. My SIL swears that if I was in her area of Ohio, the would have forced a c-section the second time I was in the hospital - definately never would have let me walk out dilated 6 cm.

I hope you find a birth team that is perfect for you and your situation.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
i get driven nuts when i think about folks telling me to push or do things like that, i have the distinct feeling i may end up cussing a few folks right out of my room if they dont keep their mouths shut
Ha! I was just saying to DH today that since this is my last birth, I'm not going to worry about burning bridges, and if people start yelling at me during labor I might just have to cuss them out.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I was able to be the doula this week for a natural twin birth. It took place in a hospital and the mom declined the epidural that her OB wanted her to have in case there had to be a C-section. Both babies were born vaginally with no complications.

I was just wondering if this happened at Crouse, by any chance? This is where I'll be going and I've heard they are the only hospital in the area who won't immediately try and push a c-section. So far my OB and midwife seem very supportive of me wanting a vaginal birth and are even somewhat willing to let me try it even if both babies end up breech. I haven't found out yet if they will try and require an epi or that I deliver in an OR...that's something I'm going to bring up with them at my next appointment. If you don't want to discuss it here, could you please PM me? Thanks!

Newly single mama to Squidget hearts.gif, Roo energy.gifand the newest two babyboy.gif  babyboy.gif  11/24/10
caffix.gif  treehugger.gif  fambedsingle2.gif   chicken3.gif
Old 08-08-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I really want one. As a matter of fact, it was my counterdemand when DH said he would not be comfortable with a twin homebirth. But unfortunately, I can't find one to in my area. Want to come down to Williamsport?
Anything for you, AM. How long is the drive?

This lady might come to your area: http://www.doulamom.com/#

I found a couple that might serve your area on www.doulamatch.net

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 08-08-2010, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Anything for you, AM. How long is the drive?
Heck, only 3 1/2 hours. I guess I better have a plan B, LOL!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:46 PM

First a bit of background - DD1 and DD2 were both hospital, medicated births. DD3 and DS1 were then born unmedicated with a midwife in the hospital. The hospital/midwife births were an empowering experience - such a natural high! Each time, my labor length pretty much cut in half: 22 hours, 12 hours, 6 hours, 3 hours...The birth of my son (9 lb. 6 oz.) wasn't so easy and left me with some 'out of control' feelings. So, thinking of birthing twins in a short time made me a bit nervous!

I selected an OB from the same practice as the midwife I had seen for birth #4, since she couldn't continue seeing me. I had read birth stories here about all the full term births, but agreed to picking a 38 week induction date.

At 38 weeks, I walked in and found I was dialated to 7. My OB broke baby A's water - he was head down - about 8:00 a.m., and contractions started not too long after. I opted for an epi about 9:30 a.m. I was wheeled from a regular L&D room to the OR, and baby A was born in a couple of pushes at 11:07 a.m.. I got to hold him, then DH, then he was given to the nurse as we got ready for baby B. Baby B had been transverse, but they helped her get head down. She was also posterior and had her chin at a funny angle, so she got a vacuum assist and was born 40 minutes later. My OB had tried to turn her several times with no luck.

My midwife was at my birth, cheering me on, along with the OB, a nurse for each baby, nurse for me, a new midwife observing, and DH too. I don't remember it feeling so crowded or feeling pressured by anyone - they were all so supportive.

Looking back, I know I made the choice for an induction and an epi to help ease my 'out of control' fears. Thankfully, everything went well as I know both of those certainly can result in more chance of c-sections and NICU time for babies. We went home nursing 2 days later: DS 6 lb 11 oz, DD 6 lb.

I wonder now exactly when the babies would have been born if we hadn't started labor. Being I was dialated to 7 it doesn't seem like that long. I also probably should have read more about NICU babies and c-sections as I wouldn't have been really ready for either; I just plowed through pregnancy.

Good luck to all with making choices and hopes for healthy pregnancies and births. I am always amazed to read about the homebirths on here.

Sunshine, wife and mom of 6...with b/g twins in '09
Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 AM

Well, fyi, DD1 was hospital birth that ended in c-section (and probably shouldn't have). So, with the twins I was attempting a vbac. I switched to a midwife group, headed by an ob. They were extremely supportive of a vbac and really didn't say anything against it. However, baby A (dd2) had different plans. She flipped positions my entire pregnancy. I had an appointment (37w 5d) the morning before I went into labor and the u/s showed her in complete breech position (sitting cross-legged over my cervix). So, when my water broke that evening I knew I was likely headed for a c-section. I stayed home long enough to shower and finish packing and then headed in. The contractions didn't start until almost the end of the car ride.

At the hospital I insisted on one more u/s to check on position before signing the consents for a c-section. My ob concurred. The u/s showed baby A had moved to a transverse position. Not good enough. With my water already broken she couldn't move anymore so we prepped for surgery.

The c-section went smoothly. I too had high body count in the room, but really only my ob and the anesthesiologist talked to me. The others, ob #2, two nurses for each baby and a nurse for me, I think, stayed in the background. What I did like about this c-section was the spinal, which was easier than my previous epidural. Also, the light fixture above the operating table was exceptionally shiny, so I was able to use it like a mirror and was able to watch the birth of my babies. Baby A stuck her hand out first to wave but was then pulled out butt first and Baby B stuck his foot out first. That was tucked back in until they could located both feet to pull him out.

Baby A (dd2)(6 lb 5oz) (the one who's water broke) was in great shape. She was able to come to me in the recovery room and I nursed her there even before I was moved to the mother/baby unit. Baby B (ds1)(6lb 11oz) unfortunately was kept in the nursery due to gurgling noises. His x-ray came out with clear lungs, but he was then sent to the NICU because he wouldn't eat.

DD2 roomed in with me except for when I traveled the halls to see DS1. Then she went to the nursery, where they respected my wishes for no bottles or pacifiers. The NICU did call me for every feeding for DS1. I was able to attempt to nurse for a short period before giving him the bottle and then finishing the feeding with the ng tube in his nose.

Recovery for me was ok. I too had some excess bleeding in the recovery room and ended up with cytotec in the rectum as well as pitocin and some other stuff to control it. I was also under a heated inflatable blanket, however I felt fine. The one thing I wish I had avoided was the drip pain medication they gave me. The kind where you press the button to administer it yourself. It made me feel awful! Completely dizzy and out of it such that I couldn't even focus enough to choose a name. I didn't realize it was that drug until they took me off of it and put me on the standard pills. Much better.

The hardest part was leaving the hospital with DD2 and leaving DS1 in the NICU. Luckily he came home only 2 days later, but it was tough to balance. Good news, it took him 4 months, but DS did eventually learn to nurse and since 6 months both babies have been exclusively breastfed. So, even with struggles, it is definately possible, even after that much time. I never would have believed he could if I hadn't had so much encouragement.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09

User Tag List