Need help with hyper twin 12-month-old bedtime antics - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-10-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! My nearly 12-month-old twins are outdoing me at bedtime. I used to get into bed with both (we co-sleep) and nurse them together until they fell asleep. Now they are suddenly more alert and are really hyper during the bedtime nursing, kicking and flailing arms and whatnot, so that they excite each other and don't relax enough to fall asleep. Often one or both will pull off and crawl away to play. Sometimes she/they will come back a few minutes later and flop down and cry, obviously tired and wanting mommy's help to sleep, but I don't know how to handle both of their needs at once. At this age they're too big for me to pick them both up and rock them until they are sleepy, so I'm stuck for ideas for calming them down enough to relax and give in to sleep.

If my partner is home I can put them down one at a time without too much trouble, so I know that they are tired and ready for bed at that time of night.

Does anyone have suggestions for getting two rowdy budding toddlers to lie down on their bed, or at least to relax and cuddle with mommy long enough for the sleepiness to set in? They don't really have the attention span for books or singing songs. They just want to play!

Thanks so much for any suggestions!
#2 of 4 Old 08-11-2010, 10:20 AM

how about if you let one play while you focus on the other? that works for me. i let the more active one bop around while i get the sleepier one to sleep first, then focus on the other (who has hopefully by then tired himself out).
#3 of 4 Old 08-11-2010, 09:45 PM

This is going to sound crazy. At just a year, I was still swaddling one of my twins. My singleton swaddled until nearly two. It helped a great deal with the settling down at the evening nurse.

We tried many times to 'wean' from swaddling, but every time we did we'd go back to it as a way to keep those arms contained. After a certain point, baby can escape the swaddle when he wakes in the night, so it's only a crutch to help go to sleep, not something they're in all night.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#4 of 4 Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page