Travel During Twin Pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-13-2010, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind of travel restrictions (if any) did your OB impose on your twin pregnancy?

Before we knew we were having twins, we planned a weekend trip in October. DW will be 25 weeks at that point & I'm wondering if the trip is do-able. It's about 6 hours away via car.

I'm assuming we wont be going anywhere for Christmas this year (she'll be 34 weeks)!

Thanks in advance,

~ Sarah
#2 of 4 Old 08-13-2010, 01:14 PM

I just went on a trip at 18/19 weeks that was 9-10 hours driving on Day 1 and about 4-5 on Day 2. (Actual travel time varied due to having a toddler in the car with us.) My midwife had no problems, but gave me a copy of my prenatal record just in case. She said that having it would mean I wouldn't need it.

As long as she's having a healthy, uncomplicated pregnancy and you're both willing to stop often for her to walk around, I don't see why her OB would have a problem with it. I can understand not traveling after 30 weeks because of the PTL risk, but before then should be fine in my non-medical opinion.

Semi-crunchy Mama to three happy, healthy girls - T(6/08), A (12/10) and B (12/10)
#3 of 4 Old 08-13-2010, 05:33 PM

I think it really depends on how the pregnancy is going. I had no restrictions on travel or activity as long as I was doing OK and not having pre-term ctx/shortening cervix. I did get shortening cervix at around 26 weeks and went on modified bedrest (i.e. couch potato) for a week, but it lengthened again so I was taken off bedrest. Sitting in a car for 6 hours at 25 weeks sounds very doable to me -- it's not that different from sitting at home.

(FWIW I made a 14-hour flight to Asia at 20 weeks and back to US at 22 weeks and was fine...)

Poppan ~ twins born April 2007
#4 of 4 Old 08-14-2010, 03:43 AM

im about to drive across country at 19-20 weeks and my doc and midwife has no issue with that. I am on track to fly from the east coast to Hawaii (split into two days of flights with a day of down time in-between) when i am 26 weeks. i haven't directly talked to anyone about it, but have mentioned it in passing and no one questioned me.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page