"Virtual Twins" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-16-2010, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have 3 year old boys 4 months apart (one birthed, one adopted at 6 weeks) and 1 year olds 2 months apart (one birthed, one brought straight home form the hospital). Does anyone here have a similar situation? I feel like a twin mom, but I don't want to offend moms who have actually birthed twins. KWIM?

Wife to one cowboy and Mama to seven wonder kids.
#2 of 10 Old 08-16-2010, 06:34 PM

I have twin boys whom I adopted at birth! Just wanted to say HI!!!

Leah mom to Delilah 9/00, angel Stephen lost 5/25/09 at 40 weeks, and twins Gus and Cash 1/10

Expecting a miracle January 2012

#3 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 12:19 PM

There is a blog I keep up with that this family has done that 2x's also. They have a big family and are big on adoption. If I can remember, they have 9 bio kids and 5 adopted.

This is the blog: http://bakersdozen.typepad.com/a_bak...zen_daily_lif/

Welcome to the world of twins, virtual or not!!! I have 19mo old frat twins.

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
#4 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 PM

When you have kids that close in age, you are sure to share most of the same challenges as moms of 'bio' twins! Welcome!

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#5 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 PM

I think there are a lot of challenges that are much the same with close-in age sibs bio or otherwise. I have a 25 mo w/global delay and an advanced 11 mo- I find that the multiple suggestions often fit better for us than the sibling suggestions.
#6 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 01:57 PM

I have cousins who are twins by adoption, both adopted.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#7 of 10 Old 08-23-2010, 02:04 PM

I have daycare kids who are "twins" by adoption. They are about two weeks apart. But, raised as twins, and called "the twins". Nobody can actually come up with another way to describe them.
#8 of 10 Old 08-24-2010, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have "virtual twins" (i guess thats a nicer term than the former "artificial twins" huh?? ) my boys are 2 weeks apart.

I havent yet started calling them twins. They dont really look alike at all and one is a bit bigger than the other, but i wonder if just saying "yes they are twins" would be easier in public than "they are two weeks apart" because invariably that causes all sorts of questions and i dont really like to get into all that in public (esp as they are now getting older.)

Before my second son came, i fostered a little girl 2.5 months younger than my son, she just turned a year old at the time...that was pretty awful because they were at different dev. stages (for example, she could not walk yet) and couldnt really play together (plus she was very aggressive towards him) but once she left and my second son came, it was so much better. They fight, for sure, but are also partners in crime.

I think if i had adopted both boys as infants it would be easier to think of them as twins, and call them twins. But since they were older (second son 16.5 months at placement) it feels a little weird to do so.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#9 of 10 Old 08-29-2010, 03:04 AM

In my book, you're a twin mom! I have a good friend who adopted her first two, then after years of artificial insemination, got pregnant(!) and while pregnant, got hit up by the adoption agency of her second child who now had a sibling and would she like to adopt him? My friend said that she could never turn down a child being offered to her, so she had virtual "twins". Her daughter a tiny thing with blonde hair and blue eyes, and her son a big Korean boy with jet black hair and dark eyes, who literally looked like he was at least a year older than the girl. I love that she has always called them "the twins".
#10 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm so glad to see some replies to this post! After a few days I was feeling a little alone.

My older boys look like complete opposites: light, straight hair/dark, curly hair, light skin/dark skin, thin/thick. And my younger two are visually opposite as well, not to mention that they are the opposite sex too.

I always felt VERY uncomfortable in public because of other people's incessant questions...
"Are they twins?"
"No, they're four months apart."
"WOW, how did that happen?"
"Well, he's adopted."
"From where?"
"From the US."
"How did that happen? They usually don't let people adopt if they're pregnant."

Then a friend of mine suggested I just say "Yes, they're twins." Not wanting to be dishonest, I had to look up the dictionary definition of "twins" to make sure I wasn't deceiving anyone in my quest for simplicity of the grocery shopping experience. Then Google showed me the term "virtual twins". So now I just say "Yes" to the strangers' questions and smile while walking away. Unless I'm stuck in line and then I just smile and nod when they continue...
"WOW, they look nothing alike!"

Here's a great post I read this morning: http://www.danoah.com/2010/09/how-mu...-kid-cost.html

I appreciate the validation from other twin moms. It's nice to feel included without being forward and saying "I'M A TWIN MOM."

Wife to one cowboy and Mama to seven wonder kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page