Traveling at the end of the second trimester? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-07-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's probably an 80% chance I'll need to travel for a funeral within the next two or so weeks. By car, it's a 10 to 12 hour drive, by air it's about an hour but $$$$ because we'd be flying into a small regional airport with only one carrier. We're hurting pretty hard for money, but will figure it out if that's our only option.

Anyway, I'm 23 weeks right now. So far, everything is healthy and well but I'm feeling the strain at this point. I have BH contractions only about once a week and can get them under control quickly and easily. I have an appointment and ultrasound next week and, ideally, I'd be able to go to that before leaving so that we know everybody is still healthy.

My questions are:
#1 - Would you risk driving? It will be through mountains with changing elevations which are just a pain, but shouldn't really be a problem this time of year. We'll need to stop regularly for our toddler, even if I didn't have to pee every 30 minutes.

#2 - Would you mention the travel to your doctor? I'm afraid to say anything about it for fear of being told I can't go.

Semi-crunchy Mama to three happy, healthy girls - T(6/08), A (12/10) and B (12/10)
#2 of 8 Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 PM

Driving sounds soooo uncomfortable! The airline may not want you to fly. Would it be possible to just send your DH? I'm sure everone would understand you needing to stay home.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#3 of 8 Old 09-07-2010, 09:17 PM

I am not there yet, but my doctor told me not to make any travel plans starting at the end of Dec which is when I will be 24+ weeks. I plan on listening and have already told my in-laws that we will not be traveling for Christmas as we normally do.

Natalie ~ DH 8/04 ~ DD 8/09 ~ Identical Twin Boys Arrived at 34w5d on March 2, 2011

#4 of 8 Old 09-08-2010, 12:56 AM

I'm 20weeks now and on the end of day 7 of a 8 day drive across the country on a move. Been on the road 7-12 hours a day. Thinks have been good, I'm wearing mild compression socks and that saves me, just moderate swelling at the end of the day.
i'll be glad when it's over tomorrow, no matter how easy it has been.

I'm also still on track for a vacation in Hawaii at 25-26weeks.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#5 of 8 Old 09-08-2010, 01:01 AM

I drove between Southern Cali to SF and back when I was about 20 weeks and moved from SF to So Cal when I was 22. It was fine for me at the time. The only uncomfortable thing was the seat belt feeling tight across my abdomen, so I would have to pull it loose. I guess it just depends on your comfort level. I would just play it by ear.

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
#6 of 8 Old 09-08-2010, 01:27 PM

I can't believe you're 23 weeks already. Time flies when you're not the one carrying the babies.

I would talk to your doctor, even though I know that's not what you want to hear. I had my doctor's blessing to go to Hawaii at 20 weeks, and that flight is about as long as your drive. I suspect that if things are looking OK, you can do the trip but it will not be very comfortable.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#7 of 8 Old 09-09-2010, 01:46 PM

We did a two-day (16 hours) drive from Arizona to Idaho when I was about 24 weeks along. It was fine, except my back got sore and my legs got swollen. I'd recommend breaking a drive like that into two days and be sure to have a hand towel you can fold up for lumbar support.

I never flew when I was pregnant, so I'm not sure how that would be. I think it really comes down to what you'll be most comfortable with. For me, driving is always less stressful because I don't have to deal with the airport.
#8 of 8 Old 09-09-2010, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

I know I need to discuss it with the doctor...and I do think I'll feel better about traveling (especially in the car) if I have the ultrasound and check-up first. I've started really feeling the stress of this pregnancy in the past few weeks and just want to make sure everything is OK. But right now, it's looking like I shouldn't have to go anywhere (if I have to go at all) until after my appointment next week, anyway.

Thanks for all the input, it's nice to know others have been able to travel at a similar stage.

Semi-crunchy Mama to three happy, healthy girls - T(6/08), A (12/10) and B (12/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page