hitting a wall at 29 wks/tummy troubles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope you ladies won't mind terribly if I whine and moan here a little. Everyone told me that by this point I would feel like I was full-term. But I just don't remember being nearly this uncomfortable at full-term with my last singleton.
I've had it pretty easy all through this pregnancy and I feel like suddenly, in the last few days I've just hit a wall. The thought of another 8-10 weeks like this one just makes me want to cry. And up until a few days ago, I was so confident I could make it until 37-38 weeks!
The big thing that changed is that I've had non-stop indigestion for the past couple days-- even a few bites of something bland sets off terrible gas pains and constant burping. I'd be fine with eating small meals or nibbling all day-- but it just isn't working! Last night the gas was so bad I couldn't sleep-- even sitting up. Are Tums the answer? Anything else I might try?
Yesterday I was home with my kids all day but today I'm at work at least for part of the day. I'm just hoping it will provide some much-needed distraction.
Thanks for listening and for any advice you might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Yeah. It was about that time that I hit bottom with my twins, too. For me, it was the back pain, leg and foot aches, and the almighty heartburn.

FWIW, though, it actually got better in the third trimester. I have no idea why, because I continued to get bigger and bigger , but I guess my body somehow managed to adjust just a little bit, or maybe the twins settled lower or something, because the discomfort and indigestion eased a little. Not all that much, granted , but enough-- it didn't continue to get worse and worse during that final stretch, though.

I will say, though-- it was around 31 weeks that I stopped doing pretty much anything other than the basic necessities of caring for myself and my older child. I spent most of the third trimester lying around on the couch all morning, and then going to bed in mid-afternoon and staying there until the next day. I stopped working at around that time, too. Your body is going to be giving you strong messages to slow down and rest-- I tried to listen to those signals, even when it turned my life upside down for awhile.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 09-10-2010, 05:30 PM

I agree with Llyra to not do anything that isn't totally essential from this time on. I too hit a wall and found that it really didn't get much worse from that point on, so you may already be there. For indigestion, I did live on tums for the last couple of months. I had to be careful not to exceed the maximum dose. I also found milk and ice cream before bed to be soothing. If nothing works, talk to your care provider as I believe they have a prescription that could be better.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
Old 09-10-2010, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm right there with you, sister

I went to co-op today (it's really important to my kids-- my husband comes with me and all I do is sit in the comfy chair in the nursery with my feet up and snoogle babies, so it's not too stressful) and another twin mama passed on some excelent advice:
Don't stand it you can sit.
Don't sit if you can lie down.
Don't just lie down if you can be sleeping.

I basically have been homeschooling from the sofa in the mornings. Around 2, I go upstairs. The kids have screen time and I nap. I wake up around 4 and supervise chores from the bed. DH comes home and does dinner. I usually never get out of bed after I climb in for nap. My 11 and 9 year olds are becoming excellent at throwing stuff into the crockpot.

And yes, the indigestion and heartburn is dreadful. I've actually been waking myself up regurging in my mouth. Heavy duty Zantac and tums help.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 PM

One last thing-- I try to keep telling myself that my number one job right now is to keep these babies in as long as possible. There's not much out there that's more important than that I've always been an extremely on-the-go sort of person, so it's hard for me to slow down.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies View Post
I hope you ladies won't mind terribly if I whine and moan here a little. Everyone told me that by this point I would feel like I was full-term. But I just don't remember being nearly this uncomfortable at full-term with my last singleton.
I've had it pretty easy all through this pregnancy and I feel like suddenly, in the last few days I've just hit a wall....
Another thought: it might be time to do a touchbase with your healthcare provider. The Barbara Luke book referenced in the multiples resources section was an excellent reference for me and she often said that changes, even subtle ones like indigestion or a mood swing (hit a wall) should not be ignored. She had one story where a mom-to-be came in complaining of just feeling really down at 28 weeks. Turns out she had a hormonal drop and was going into early labor! They caught it soon enough and they were able to prolong her pregnancy. I only mention this because it happened to me, but I didn't listen to my body and delivered early - healthy, but early. I don't want to be a downer, just wanted to pass along some experience.

One other thing too - I noticed that for moms pregnant with twins as their second, third, etc. child realized afterward that the multiple pregnancy is a completely different experience than a previous singleton pregnancy. You definitely have to take it slower with multiples because they take much more out of you than most singletons. Good luck!

Mom to 2 healthy micro-preemies, Aubrey and Beau
Old 09-11-2010, 01:08 AM

I'm almost 37 weeks now (yeah me!) and I have hit many walls. I remember the worst one being around where you are when i thought there is no way I'll make it. I was actually put on bed rest for a few days around then due to some overactive cervical twinges and braxton-hicks. I will say it helped a lot and I would encourage you to put yourself on maximum rest for a few days if that's what it feels like you need. It doesn't have to be for the rest of your pregnancy.

I've had weeks where I felt like wonder twin mama to be, and weeks where I couldn't do anything but complain and lie down at every possible opportunity. But in the end here I have really stayed quite active. I'm far from comfortable at all times, but you just need to listen to your body. I second that quote about sitting whenever possible...

You can do it. Just eat, rest and listen to your body. I had terrible heartburn with my DS1, and I've been relatively spared this time around since they are so dang low (my groin muscles are taking the hit this time, but I will take that over the heartburn). But I take liquid cal/mag every night before bed and it settles things down so I don't wake up burping bile. I highly recommend it. It has really helped my restless legs/cramps as well. An extra magnesium supplement really helped my sleep too. But you need to be careful with what can happen to your bowels. It takes a bit of figuring out.

Best of luck!

Paige

mother to mesa and two girls on the way.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:11 AM

Paige, where did you get the liquid cal/mag supplement? Is there a kind you recommend? I am hearing this recommended all over the place and maybe it's time I get some.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Paige, where did you get the liquid cal/mag supplement? Is there a kind you recommend? I am hearing this recommended all over the place and maybe it's time I get some.
You should be able to find it at your local health food store. Cal/mag also helps with an overactive uterus and calming down those BH.

Mama to a zoo!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the encouraging words.

Last night was a bit better- I took some antacid but also ate very little, only bland foods all day. Mostly yogurt. (And steered clear of the homemade enchiladas that poor dh cooked for dinner.)

I'm going to look into that cal/mag supplement because I also get restless legs, especially in the evening. It definitely is a balancing act between the digestive symptoms and everything else. I'm trying to up my iron intake before delivery too-- and of course, that also messes with my stomach.

I do need to slow down a little more. This week was more hectic than usual because everyone started back at school. (dh too- he's a teacher). But I can do a good bit of my work on the computer so I'm gradually transitioning to telecommuting over the next 2-3 weeks.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:30 PM

No advice...just sympathy. I am at 30 weeks and I often feel like I can't go on for another two months too. It feels like it could be the end already - at least in my energy level. its like this mind game of staying positive and conversing with myself and the babies to stay in - grow big and strong - as it is only better for everyone that way in the end.
I am 'on the go' kind of person and I feel so much guilt with not getting out as much with my two other kids (aged 2 and 4). I find it hard to let go of things like housework and making good meals and resting as much as I need to. I chronically get sore hips and feet and those darn braxton hicks contractions -all of these things get totally get worse when I don't rest enough. It is hard though to sit down or lie down, when I there is so much I "could" be doing.

I am glad other mamas feel the same. Let's hang in there together!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:07 PM
RSG

Just want to give all of you who are pregnant lots of virtual hugs and encouragement. I know exactly how you feel and it actually makes me a little teary to think back... twin pregnancy was the hardest thing I've ever done; best wishes to all of you - you are AMAZING mammas!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:38 PM

I am finding this twin pregnancy very hard.I am only 17 weeks...and the heartburn, etc hasnt found me yet. My issue is that I get so tired so easily. My iron is great, its not that. I have tons of energy, but I just CANT do things. If I do too much, i get BH. I feel like doing things, but my body says oh no you dont. I am not used to this. I push myself and then end up regretting it. So much different than singleton pregnancy, for sure. I know I am going to hit that wall soon enough, just waiting for it to happen. Hope you feel better.!

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

Old 09-13-2010, 02:42 PM

I was just thinking how the good days feel sooooo good and the bad days just feel sooooo bad. Today, unfortunately, is a bad day.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 AM

I'm using a Seroyal liquid cal/mag I got from my accupuncurist. I think any vitamin shop or natural foods store should have one, or should be able to order something for you. Just don't go over the recommended dosage as that can mess with your stomach.

Go twin mamas to be! This is no doubt a whole different kind of pregnancy and I don't think anyone who hasn't done it can understand how different it is. It takes so much more energy to grow two babies at once.

As for the guilt for not being to able to keep up with your other kids, that's probably been one of the hardest things for me. My four year old lost the mommy he was used to quite a while ago now. I've hit many walls over that, but have had to reach new places of patience both with myself and with him. It's all part of the journey.

Best wishes to you all for healthy pregnancies and babes,
Paige

User Tag List