OB recommends client birth before 38 wks- why??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a question of the multiple moms here. I have a client whose OB is telling her that it's safer for twins to be delivered before 38 weeks gestation. Not just her babies, but twins in general.

Is there any medical justification for that? Have any of you heard that before?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#2 of 6 Old 09-14-2010, 08:03 PM

There's some study-- I'll have to look for it-- that says 37 weeks is term for twins and outcomes start to go down after that.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 6 Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard OBs try and justify it, but I am unsure if I believe any of the reasoning. Has she asked him for his reason (specific reason) and sources to back it up?
#4 of 6 Old 09-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What annette says. Dr Luke (the big twin doc) has done a study (its fairly small still) but preliminary research is showing after 38 weeks, placenta function tends to start to decrease. The odds of loosing a baby after 38 weeks go up slightly similar to going past 41 weeks with a singleton.

That said... I feel it should be individially based. Increased monitoring after 38 weeks, etc but just like with over due singletons, some are just meant to cook longer, some need help coming out.

Mama to a zoo!
#5 of 6 Old 09-15-2010, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It just feels so wrong. I never had the resources or bandwith to critically analyze the Luke study, but I think some of the problems with it are that the sample size is small and that it includes all twins - mono-di, di-di, moms with GD, moms with hypertension, etc.

Here's a great study for your client - stating that in an otherwise uncomplicated twin pregnancy, allowing spontaneous delivery up to 40 weeks is recommended. It's more recent than the Luke study too.

http://www.uptodate.com/home/content...=labordel/5122

Many, but not all, OBs use the Luke study as gospel that all twins need to be delivered before 38 weeks. I hope to live to see that categorically disproved. It stresses out healthy twin moms that don't need another thing to worry about, and prompts too many unnecessary inductions and surgical births.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#6 of 6 Old 09-15-2010, 03:34 PM

Where I think the study has value is it says "Hey! Heads up! We've seen problems starting around 38 weeks, so be aware!" To me, it doesn't say "Your baby must be induced st 38 weeks." Rather, it lets me know to check things out a little earlier than I normally would in a singleton pregnancy, if that makes any sense. It's nap time.

They were making noise about inducing me at 37 weeks since my first appointment. My stock answer is "Well, if there's a medical reason to induce me at that time, I'll certainly be open to it." Which I will. But I'm not doing it just because we've hit a magic number.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page