how long before induction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter
 
susan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we are at 37 weeks and my ob will only allows us to go to 38 weeks before he strips my membranes. Should i try to negotiate with him or accept his plan? So far, perfect pregnancy- no real issue with fraternal twin girls.
susan13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 AM
 
LoisLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Once again, on the road
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would ask for increased monitoring (NST, etc) but delay induction. But that's just my 2cents!

Other questions to ask:

* Is this your first? If not, when did your other child/ren come?
* Have you had any signs of labor yet?
* What is your OBs reasoning for induction?
* How are the babes positioned? If Twin A is engaged and head down, I'd worry less.

Congrats on your twins, and good luck these next weeks! Keep us posted!
LoisLane is offline  
#3 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 11:19 AM
 
treeoflife3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: tennessee/kentucky
Posts: 1,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can always cancel your 38 week appointment saying something came up and not go til 39 weeks. Increased monitoring could be something your OB is willing to do in place of stripping. Also, should you consider stripping, make sure you find out just how favorable your body is for it to even work.
treeoflife3 is offline  
#4 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 01:55 PM
 
mauri456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: va
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how do you feel about it? what is your gut telling you? i hate to turn in back around on you but i dont think there is a cut and dry answer for you.

i do know that there are studies out there supporting that the placentas start to deteriorate some sooner with twins. i know i talked about that with my ob early on and he said he is okay with 40ish weeks with twins but he does start to worry. the 'rule of thumb' which im sure you've heard is that you are about 2 weeks ahead --- so its like you are 40 weeks. i dont know if i entirely buy that concept. however, i can understand some of the logic.

i know he recently had a twin mom that made it 40+ plus weeks and he did strip her membranes have her do castor oil. she showed up at 8cm and delivered naturally. they were her first babies.

my advice is to trust in the process, your intuition, and your babies. do you feel like you need to deliver soon? are your babies moving around well? are you starting to feel like you are done or could you keep on going? also id dig deep and see if you have any fears to work through that may be holding back labor too (not saying you do have any but just to cover all bases)

id also ask yourself if you trust your provider? are you able to discuss his rationale and your concerns about the stripping with him?
mauri456 is offline  
#5 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 02:25 PM
 
phathui5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First off, congratulations on your twins and to making it to 37 weeks.

Next, is there any medical indication that your babies need to be born before you go into labor on your own?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
phathui5 is offline  
#6 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
susan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all of the advice and items to consider. We were induced with our first, different provider, made it to 41 weeks, but had a natural vaginal birth with pitocin.

this time, we have been doing nst for the last 4 weeks and have passed each one.

We are 6cm dilated as of last friday, no vaginal exam this week.

my ob/gyn and midwife pratice follows the belief that the tests are not accurate after 38 weeks

i just want some powerful contractions, but i really want labor to start on it's own and experience that feeling, but the good news is that we are dilated and quite soft so this might hopefully be a quick labor.

the presenting baby is head down and quite low while the other one is breach, but my ob is willing to turn the second.
susan13 is offline  
#7 of 7 Old 09-19-2010, 04:30 PM
 
MamaChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To be honest, he is probably more concerned that at 6 cm dilated, labor may be super short and worried that might not make it to the hospital in time. Induction will likely be fairly effective at 6 cm as well. Take some time to feel what your mind and body are telling you about it, what is your intuition?

If you feel that keeping them in a little longer is the right choice, then just talk to him. Ask for one more week, or ask if there is anything he sees that he is concerned about. Either way, best of luck to you!

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
MamaChicken is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off