Time to pump when BF - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-21-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you're breastfeeding newborn twins 8-12x a day, when the heck can you pump?
#2 of 9 Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 AM

Why do you need to pump? Just because... or returning to work, etc.? That would help with answering your question

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#3 of 9 Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I stayed home with my twins for 3 months, and returned to work after that. I wanted to have a breastmilk supply before I went back, but it was practically impossible. I was either feeding babies, had just fed babies, or was just about to feed babies! Mine always nursed at the same time, so there was never a spare breast.

I worked half days for a month when I went back to work; I was able to pump once a day for that first month, and twice a day when I was back at work full time. I never was able to pump as much as they ate, but our nanny always gave them breastmilk first, so at most they'd get s small bottle of formula in the afternoon, after they were 3 months old. I thought that was pretty good!

For now, don't worry about it. Just feeding your babies all day is enough of a challenge! As they get a little bigger, nurse for a shorter time, and go longer in between, you might be able to sneak in a pumping session now and then.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#4 of 9 Old 09-22-2010, 03:34 PM

I suppose if you want you can try to pump 5 minutes after each nursing session, you'll maybe get a quarter ounce or so each time but it could add up!

Loads of blessings, and learning on the job.
run.gif 

#5 of 9 Old 09-22-2010, 04:07 PM

It's been a long time ago. My boys are now 5 1/2. I needed a freezer stash because I was returning to work. I pumped after each daytime feeding for just a bit. Little bits do add up. Once we got after 2 or 3 o'clock, I didn't have as much milk, and I didn't pump after those feedings.

I would pump, and then put the whole thing (bottle, top, but not horns) in the fridge. When it was time to pump again, I'd just hook up and add to the bottle. I would wash after the bottle was full or at the end of the day. Not saying you should do that, but I did, and it saved time.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#6 of 9 Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 PM

I havent pumped much yet, but when I have I have always found it easier to do when one baby is nursing on the other side. For example, I would offer the breast to one of the babies a bit early (i.e not showing signs of hunger yet) and pump on the other side. Then when the second baby shows signs of hunger I would nurse them on one side and pump on the other. I tend to only get an ounce at a time that way, but it adds up if I do that cycle twice in a day.

Amy
mama to big brother Mason (Jan '05) and the littles, Adam and Holden (May '10)
#7 of 9 Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 AM

I pumped because I needed to supplement for quite a while. I would nurse, wait 10 minutes, then pump. It was only small amounts, but it did add up over time. I woudl do like Red Pajama with the fridge thing, or I would just leave it sitting out since I would pump again in an hour or so and use the milk before the 8 hour window passed.

The easiest thing for me was to make a hands-free pumping bra. I think Red Pajama recommended it ot me. I cut holes in an old bra then would slip the stem of the horn thru the hole. This was I could pump in teh bathroom, hands free, after my shower while doing my hair, teeth, etc. I could also do it at night whiel brushing teeth, etc. Time saved, I guess.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#8 of 9 Old 09-24-2010, 02:02 PM

When they were baby-baby eating constantly, it was sooo hard. But I had to do it so that a couple times a day I could give them a bottle and give them food coma so they'd actually fall asleep quickly and stay asleep. So to answer your question of when I pumped, I just missed out on my own sleep in order to pump.

I would also do the leave it out cus I'm gonna pump again in an hour or two thing.

Now that they're a few months old they are more efficient at BFing and can last longer between feedings -- thank god! I was seriously at my wit's end for the first 3 months. I hit the wall and got a little crazed more than a few times. I took it out on my poor hubs, snapping and yelling at him. So now I pump once a day, usually sometime in the middle of the night or wee hours of the morning when my boobs are getting really full, and freeze it.

Initially I had been planning on going back to work so I was very concerned about the freezer stash, but plans have since changed and I am SAHM'ing, but I still want a good stash in the freezer for my DH and parents to use if I have to go out (like to the monthly mothers of multiples meeting!).

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
#9 of 9 Old 09-25-2010, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I want to be able to let my husband do some of the feedings here and there and in case I go out too I want to have food! Looks like for the 1st 3 months that'll be a challenge! He did with my son and really enjoyed that time. He would take a feeding throughout the night, and I pumped while he fed with a BM bottle.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page