Anyone else struggle with the weight gain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-04-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 29 weeks pregnant with B/G twins. I started off a little bit overweight but not too bad.

Currently I'm up only 10-15lbs from pre-pregnancy weight. It makes me a but upset because I hear all the you have to gain the weight for the healthy babies etc etc...

But I eat non-stop and healthy full protein stuff. Seriously jsut can't keep it on. My belly is huge, lol and my boobs are huge.. the rest of me I can tell is smaller though.

I've even done ensure shakes... but not much luck there with weight either. I"m now getting to the point I cannot eat much at once...

I'm not really looking for diet advice, I"ve been told we've got it right... Oh and for growth scans our babies actually are bigger for most singletons at this point...

But anyone else just not gaining?

Mama to a zoo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-04-2010, 09:34 PM

I only gained about 37 lbs my entire twin pg - less in fact than my second singleton pg. Like you, I was eating like a mad woman - every two hours round the clock, and tons of healthy foods, healthy fats, lots of protein, etc. I was even on bedrest part of that time and not moving much at all.

I gave birth at 37 weeks 5 days to two perfectly healthy girls, 5 lbs 5 oz and 5 lbs 6 oz. They came home with us the next day. Considering that my full term singletons were only 6 lbs 8 oz, and I am small in stature, that was a pretty good weight.

I gained a ton of weight at first, and then around 25 weeks or so my weight gain stalled. I think I gained 5 lbs the last trimester. It was crazy.

It sounds like you are fine. If you have been told you are eating the right foods and your babes are growing well, I wouldn't worry.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#3 of 8 Old 10-05-2010, 07:06 AM

I was only able to gain 30 pounds w/ my twin pregnancy, which was actually substantial compared to the 7 and 17 I gained w/ my singletons. I'm quite thin to begin with so the doctors were worried for me and wanted me to gain much more. I just couldn't do it. I couldn't eat as much as I should have because I felt like I was going to throw up every minute of every day and had zero appetite.

my twins were born around 35 weeks and were 5lb 13oz and 5lb 8oz. Their heads always measured large and for awhile they did measure larger than the average singleton baby. I'm not sure I would have been able to keep them in longer had I gained more weight as my body just doesn't like being pregnant all that much and always goes into preterm labor around 33 weeks.
#4 of 8 Old 10-05-2010, 11:58 AM

I'm struggling with weight gain, too, and it's stressing me out. I'm 27 weeks and only up about 15 pounds (maybe 20 - I don't remember my exact pre-pregnancy weight). I'm definitely up about 20 since my low point - I lost weight between my first 2 appointments. I've actually been losing again the past couple of weeks. I really don't want these babies to be born early and tiny. I eat high-protein, high-(good)-fat foods, I'm just not able to eat very much and I'm still fighting daily nausea. I'm scared for my next appointment because I'm afraid that 1-the babies won't have grown (it's an ultrasound appt) and 2-I'll get a lecture about weight gain.

I don't know if my post was helpful, but it's nice for me to know someone else is struggling.

Semi-crunchy Mama to three happy, healthy girls - T(6/08), A (12/10) and B (12/10)
#5 of 8 Old 10-05-2010, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Rachel- I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I struggled with nausea sooo bad until about 16 weeks. I had actually lost 15 lbs. I gained 40lbs with my singletons but still only up about 10lbs right now. LOL I was just able to stop wearing my pre-pregnancy jeans... I could wear them buttoned until 24 weeks. I stopped wearing at all at 26 because belly just gets in the way... but they still fit otherwise.

I swear I feel like all I do is eat... and samething. Paranoid they will be early and small and unhealthy. But I guess some of us have to be on the low weight side if there is an average.

Hang in there!

Mama to a zoo!
#6 of 8 Old 10-05-2010, 10:30 PM

I struggled with weight gain too. I think I gained only 25 lbs during this twin pregnancy. I also had GD.

i stayed the same weight for 4 weeks. The GD doctor kept stressing me out about my lack of weight gain. My OB said he didn't care if i wasnt gaining any weight. As long as he could see (via ultrasound) that the twins were growing, that's all he cared about.

the twins were 6lbs, 1 oz each, and i gave birth at 37 weeks.

Mommy to Katherine (June '05) , Calvin (born an angel on January 25, 2009 at 29.5 weeks gestation) , and Samuel and Sabrina (December '09)
#7 of 8 Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 AM

I see a perinatologist and actually throughout my 2nd trimester she might have only weighed me once or twice. I was having frequent scans of the babies and she said that as long as THEY were gaining well, she wasn't worried.

I finally asked her to weigh me because I don't have a scale at home and i was curious!
#8 of 8 Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 PM

Gah, I totally struggled with weight gain, which was SO completely ironic for me as I've spent my LIFETIME trying to LOSE weight…

Here is my weight gain summary from my twin pregnancy:

11 weeks: minus 1 lb
14 weeks: + 3 lbs
18 weeks: +11 lbs
28 weeks: + 26 lbs
37 weeks: +28 lbs

So, only 2 lbs gained from 28 weeks onward...despite trying to eat like a lumberjack! I am only 5 ' 1" but also about a size 10-12 at the time (have managed to get myself down to a size 8 now!)

My very healthy babies were born at 37 week +1 day
Tess - 5 lbs 12.5 oz
Kate - 5 lbs 15 oz.

So, they weren't huge (and small by my standards as my last baby before them was 9 lbs 14 oz), but they seemed all ready to come out and were great little breastfeeders.

Good luck mama, sounds like you are paying attention to all the right things

Tammy, Canadian Mama to 4 girls May-02...March-05 and...identical twin girls Jan-09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page