What route were your twins/multiples born by? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What route did you give birth by?
All babies vaginally 30 55.56%
All babies by cesearean 17 31.48%
one+ baby vaginally AND one+ baby by cesearean 4 7.41%
obligatory other? (time travel?) 3 5.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First off, sorry to all the seasoned Moms here who probably get sick and tired of the pg newbies asking the same questions over and over You're all doing a great job initiating me and I fully appreciate all the words of wisdom. I assume there's already a thread about this somewhere, but it was a daunting forum search...

Anyway, what I'm wondering is simply how did you birth your twins/multiples, vaginally or by cesarean?

I'm asking, mostly, bc it is a nagging question in my head but, also, bc I'm really undecided on my birth options and, in interviewing a million careproviders, I'm hearing figures all over the place from everyone I talk to...

I know a sample from a MDC forum is hardly scientific, but it is what I want- an intentionally biased sample group, women presumably somewhat similar to me in lifestyle (educated, well nourished, healthy, natural leaning)

So, if you wouldn't mind...
Feel free to add any details of your birth circumstances that may have led to delivery route choice (or necessity).

TIA.

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#2 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 06:39 AM

I'm sorry, I voted, saw it on the main page and I didn't realize it was in parenting multiples, which I don't have! I ruined your poll
#3 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxinator View Post
I'm sorry, I voted, saw it on the main page and I didn't realize it was in parenting multiples, which I don't have! I ruined your poll
oops! same here.

But I do know several moms w/ twins

2 sets were born vaginally, 1 set on her due date, and the other close to her due date.

Another mother had a c-section for her twins; she also had a c-section w/ her first born 7 yrs prior.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#4 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 08:13 AM

Both my boys were born vaginally. Baby A was head down for a long time leading into birth and stayed ther to be born. Baby B was transverse as his brother came out but slid right on down head first once brother was out. Baby B flipped around a lot in the final weeks, even going complete breech at 36.5 weeks. They were born at 37.5 weeks.

FWIW, I delivered with a Kaiser MW in the OR of the local hospital birth center. The OB and anesthesiologist stood in the corner and waited, just in case.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#5 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 AM

I can't figure out how to vote but mine were C section (emergency). I developed pre-e. However they were a scheduled C anyway following two back surgeries and a myloectomy. My OB didn't want to risk rupture but the emergency C came first.

Best wishes,
Gabrielle

Mommy to Franklin & Callan
#6 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 AM

I had mine vaginally, but it was a continual battle with the medical folk. Once I healthily reached 35 weeks, I stopped going to see the doctors and just worked with a midwife and did HB.
#7 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 AM

Mine were c-section. I had done the research, found an ob who was supportive of natural birth, no OR laboring, etc., but I ended up in the hospital for high blood pressure. On the second day, my BP spiked to 212/120 with high protein and signs of HELLP in my blood tests. The babies were not responding and their heart rates were dropping low. We ended going in for a emergency c-section.

I do believe in most cases, you can have twins vaginally. Mine was an extreme case of what can go wrong, but the chances of it happening are pretty low.

But, I do wish I had researched and prepared for the possibility of a c-section. And also about the NICU. I don't believe that looking into it is damaging to your confidence to prepare for the possibility. I was so lost the first week afterwards. A little preparation and research would have helped me advocate for myself and my babies earlier.

There is no need to get obsessive, or think it is an inevitable thing, though.

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#8 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 AM

My twins both came by planned c-section. I was a c-section candidate for a lot of reasons. I would have been VBACing, for starters. Then I developed cholestasis, early in the third trimester. At that time, the evidence was in favor of induction by 37 weeks, for cholestasis, because of the high incidence of stillbirth at term. A VBAC induction with twins, way before my body was really ready for labor, was just too risky for even my comfort level, particularly in view of the fact that I have a congenital heart condition. It poses no risk to me or the babies, but it does tend to act up during labor and scare everybody.

So c-section it was, and I was at peace with that decision.

DS (my twin B) was transverse, too. But I don't think that would have mattered-- DD2 (twin A) was very well-positioned, and the attitude seemed to be that vaginal birth would have been fine with everybody involved, if I hadn't been a VBAC candidate.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#9 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 10:39 AM

I had a homebirth, so both vaginally for me.

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#10 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenChaffee View Post
I had mine vaginally, but it was a continual battle with the medical folk. Once I healthily reached 35 weeks, I stopped going to see the doctors and just worked with a midwife and did HB.
Me too, except I stuck with my docs until 37 weeks. Figured after that if I needed to transfer, the practice wouldn't know the difference.

The only reason I had mine vaginally (at 39w to the day) is that we stayed home. The twins were my first, I went late and labored long. Would have been bullied, induced and FTP at a hospital. The hospital near me has an 80% twin c/s rate according to the L&D RN I talked to. Knew I'd fight tooth and nail to hope to be in that 20%, and probably couldn't do it.

Not all hospitals and docs are as conservative as those in my area, but you have to look long and hard for an OB to support natural twin birth. Very few have EVER seen one.

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#11 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 01:00 PM

My ds was born vaginally and then I underwent an emergency c-section to deliver dd who was stuck transverse. That along with the placenta abrupting and me hemmoraging combined to make the c-section necessary.

My OB was perfectly happy with me having a vaginal birth for both but it was not to be.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#12 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 02:04 PM

A was vertex and B was breech, so I had a vaginal delivery planned. A ended up having complications that put her life at risk and I had to have an early emergency c-section. Had there been no complications, we would have gone with the vaginal delivery.

My OB & I had agreed that she'd place the epidural line but I wouldn't be hooked up. I'd try for a natural birth and then if any complications arose or I got too exhausted or whatever, the line would already be placed so they could do c/s if any emergencies arose. I think it was a good compromise and was comfortable with the plan. Some OBs would not have allowed me to try a natural birth with one breech, so I think a lot of your options have to do with who your healthcare provider is and whether they have much twin experience.
#13 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 02:05 PM

Born vaginally. One head down, one breech. For the breech baby, they pulled her out because her heart rate was dropping.

Mommy to Katherine (June '05) , Calvin (born an angel on January 25, 2009 at 29.5 weeks gestation) , and Samuel and Sabrina (December '09)
#14 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM

C/s here. Older ds was a c/s and I was going for a natural birth with the twins but b/c my pelvis is misshaped, I can't have a vaginal birth. I ended in a c/s with my twins too.

Lynn, wife to Jason  SAHM to Nate, Riley and Jon
#15 of 32 Old 11-04-2010, 06:19 PM

Both of mine were born vaginally. Baby A was head down, B was transverse on delivery day. Once A was out, the dr. did a quick and gentle external version and then ruptured her membranes to hold her in place. It worked, and out she came a few minutes later. I was 37 weeks, 5 day, went into labor on my own, and they came home with us the next day. Basically my dream situation for a twin birth.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#16 of 32 Old 11-05-2010, 11:00 AM

mine were vaginal. easiest of all my labors, actually.

yes, you have to be a staunch advocate, though, if you have to see an OB. my girlfriend had twins 10 days before mine, and she was offered a c-section even though everything was normal an the babies were head down. she had one, and they even took them early for no reason. it is insane really.

i think if i were to have another set, i would pay extra to have a midwife (our insurance does not cover midwife for twins) and avoid all that bologna.

mother to girl (8), boy (7), girl (5) and twin boys (12/07) and a little boy due Feb 5!!
#17 of 32 Old 11-05-2010, 03:46 PM

I think it depends on your OB. Mine told me I *could* have an elective c-section if I wanted b/c there was the risk that I would end up delivering one vaginally and then having a c-section for the second. I told him I would take the risk, and a c-section was never mentioned again. I didn't have to fight in the least for my vag. birth. He also never mentioned taking them early unless there was a solid medical reason. In fact, he gave me advice on how to keep them in longer.

Also, my ob walked over to the hospital once he knew I was in labor and hand picked my nurse for me, making sure I got one who supported natural childbirth, no vax, etc. She in turn snagged me the water birthing room and hovered over the nursery person after the birth making sure my babes didn't get any meds. My babes were put on my chest right after birth, and Baby A nursed immediatley to get contrax started again. After the birth, my nurse advised me that they often do a blood sugar check but that I could refuse it - in a way that actually subtly encouraged me to refuse it (which I would have done anyway.)

When baby B had problems nursing overnight, the nurse on duty helped me hand express colostrum and give it to her in a dropper. Bottles and formula were never mentioned. Oh, and the hospital didn't give out formula samples either, because it is so counterproductive. Overall, an awesome experience. The only person I had to fight was the phlebotomist, who didn't want to do the heel stick while I was nursing, because it was inconvenient for her.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#18 of 32 Old 11-05-2010, 09:37 PM

Mine were C/S, and my first child, DS1 was natural V with a hospital midwife. This time I had midwives and an OB, and wanted a home birth if possible. At 34 weeks, the midwives said no to the home birth because of baby A's position. At the end, both babies were breech, and baby A's position (not quite breech, almost transverse) put him at risk of cord prolapse if I waited for my water to break. I never felt I was in labor, just kind of achy, but that was enough for me to get checked out. Turns out I was already dilated 7cm at almost 35 weeks gestation, though not having regular contractions. The babies were born via C/S that night. We booked some time in the NICU because they were premature, but now both are super healthy at 7 months old!

bouncy.gif&babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif
#19 of 32 Old 11-06-2010, 06:22 AM

mine were c section at 35w3d because an ultrasound found that baby a had a VERY short cord (6 inches) and labor could be dangerous. not what i intended but i am just happy both babies are safe and sound.
#20 of 32 Old 11-06-2010, 10:42 AM

Mine were born very premature, at 29 weeks. Baby A was born vaginally, and Baby B got into a bad position (folded it in half, head down but feet down next to head) and started having decels, so she was born via medically-necessary-though-not-exactly-emergent (they don't take a lot of chances at that gestational age) c-section.

Recovery sucked a whole lot, but I would not have given up the opportunity to have even the one vaginal birth even if you told me it would work out the same way again.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#21 of 32 Old 11-07-2010, 03:14 PM

emergency C at 31.6 weeks due to fetal distress

but would have been a planned C due to maternal health issues- I was aware that I would have to do a C before I even got pregnant.
#22 of 32 Old 11-07-2010, 03:47 PM

Unfortunately for me, BOTH twins remained in a stubborn transverse lie.
I tried, light, heat, music and even moxibustion therapies to turn them.
After 3 days of labour, I took myself to hospital where I had an emergency caesarean section.

I planned a home birth, so coming to terms with having another caesarean broke my heart.
Still hurts now.

Natural & Proud hbac.gif and Breast Feeder.heartbeat.gif I Believe in Awareness! ribboncesarean.gif..ribbonpb.gif..redbluerib.gif

Birthing against medical advice was necessary!
love.gifheartbeat.gif~~ Doula In Training ~~heartbeat.giflove.gif
#23 of 32 Old 11-07-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMichigan View Post
emergency C at 31.6 weeks due to fetal distress

but would have been a planned C due to maternal health issues- I was aware that I would have to do a C before I even got pregnant.
May I ask what health condition you have?

Natural & Proud hbac.gif and Breast Feeder.heartbeat.gif I Believe in Awareness! ribboncesarean.gif..ribbonpb.gif..redbluerib.gif

#24 of 32 Old 11-07-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMumof5 View Post
I have a bleeding disorder & high barely controlled blood pressure that made a natural delivery too 'uncontrolled', as well as a previous cervical surgery that left scar tissue that made put me at high risk for rupture were I to deliver naturally. The combination of all those things a few others made me a non-candidate for any kind of delivery but C.

One of my twinkies decided to take in into her own hands though, and the C was needed to get her out due to fetal distress (cord compression and decels that did not respond to medical/positional or any other treatment)

I was taken care of prenatally and delivery by a Perinatalogist. My OB-GYN would not take me on as a 'pregnancy' client due to my unique situation. I was high risk before I even conceived! I knew it going into pregnancy though, so I was able to prepare for 'what could' and what would happen.
#25 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 AM

At 38.4 weeks
Both babies vaginally
Baby A was born head down
and Baby B was footling breech
#26 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 07:18 AM

Both of mine came vaginally at 35.5 weeks.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#27 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 05:12 PM

I had an awesome birth in the hospital. I was an unmedicated VBAC. Both babies were head down but b flipped transverse and needed to be turned.

I was 39.6 weeks
#28 of 32 Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 PM

Both vaginal. A was vertex, B was a foot-first breech -- and he came out that way. I was induced at 34w due to Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#29 of 32 Old 11-09-2010, 01:04 AM

Both vaginal with no medication at 35.5. My OB is known in my area for doing vaginal twin deliveries which is why I went with her. She wanted me to have an epidural catheter placed just in case but on the day I went into labor I had a feeling everything was going to be fine so I refused it and as luck would have it her favorite anesthesiologist was on call so she said okay. Baby A had been head down for a while and came without a problem. Baby B was transverse so my OB reached up in me (didn't bother me one bit as I just looked at my first baby and that was all I needed) found baby B's head, brought it down, broke her water and she was out a few pushes later. All in all exactly what I had been hoping/praying/wishing for
#30 of 32 Old 11-13-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMichigan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMumof5 View Post
I have a bleeding disorder & high barely controlled blood pressure that made a natural delivery too 'uncontrolled', as well as a previous cervical surgery that left scar tissue that made put me at high risk for rupture were I to deliver naturally. The combination of all those things a few others made me a non-candidate for any kind of delivery but C.

One of my twinkies decided to take in into her own hands though, and the C was needed to get her out due to fetal distress (cord compression and decels that did not respond to medical/positional or any other treatment)

I was taken care of prenatally and delivery by a Perinatalogist. My OB-GYN would not take me on as a 'pregnancy' client due to my unique situation. I was high risk before I even conceived! I knew it going into pregnancy though, so I was able to prepare for 'what could' and what would happen.

Wow, you really have been through it all haven't you :( xxxxx

I only asked why because I'm interested about medical conditions and how it affects birth, Congrads xxx

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page