The Same Spoon - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you feed from the same spoon?
Yes 11 50.00%
Yes - Unless one twin is ill (Eg. Cold or Flu) 10 45.45%
No, Never 0 0%
Other (please state) 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-09-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just wondering, when your Twins are a little older and have just started to wean, whether you feed from the same spoon - or not!

Thought this may be an interesting topic!

Natural & Proud hbac.gif and Breast Feeder.heartbeat.gif I Believe in Awareness! ribboncesarean.gif..ribbonpb.gif..redbluerib.gif

Birthing against medical advice was necessary!
love.gifheartbeat.gif~~ Doula In Training ~~heartbeat.giflove.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 AM

I'm not exactly weaning, yet, but they eat quite a bit of food other than breast milk at this point.

I use one spoon to feed them until one of them seems interested in trying to hold her own spoon (huge mess!). I try to be encouraging when I see one of them interested in holding her own.

With as much as they are together, having separate spoons is minor when it comes to preventing the spread of an illness.
#3 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Definitely one spoon, one bowl. One would swallow while I spooned food to the other - it didn't take any longer to feed them both then it would to feed one.

And as a PP said, they chewed on each other's toys, fingers, noses - germs from a spoon were minor.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#4 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 AM

We followed a Baby led weaning approach and never used spoons for purees so sharing was not an issue. They will occasionally share a bowl of yogurt or ice cream with me, in that case all 3 of us use the same spoon.

read.gifLibrarian, Wife and Mostly Crunchy Domestic Engineer. Mama to two little "birds"- ID di/di twin girls (3/09)twins.gif and a "fuzz" (2/11) babyboy.gif
#5 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 11:52 AM

Not sure how to answer the poll.   I tried my best to use separate bowls and spoons most of the time, but if a spoon fell on the floor or I forgot to switch or they were eating too fast for me to switch spoons, they shared!  So  instead of yes or no, I guess my answer is "sometimes."  The only time I was careful is when one was ill, but it was rare that one was sick and the other wasn't.

#6 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 12:47 PM

One spoon was so much easier for us when they were babies.  It saved time, plus it was hard to hold two bowls and remember which bowl/spoon belonged to which child.  My MIL thought it was absolutely horrible to feed them with one spoon and commented on it all the time ... until she watched them one day and tried it her way.

#7 of 13 Old 11-11-2010, 04:49 PM

Same spoon, same bowl, same nipple, same everything....sick or not.  Same uterus before that, too.

#8 of 13 Old 11-12-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahjehan View Post

Same spoon, same bowl, same nipple, same everything....sick or not.  Same uterus before that, too.

Glad it's not just me.  Soon enough you won't have any choice.  My two eat each other's food all the time.  They switch cups, etc... and I don't even notice. 

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#9 of 13 Old 11-12-2010, 06:53 AM

I had a nurse in the hospital refuse to allow my twins to co-bed, in the NICU, based on the idea that they might expose each other to germs.  Then the doc stepped in, and said something like holy, moly-- four days ago they were in the same uterus.  He gave it as his opinion that all the "official" experts will tell you to keep separate this and separate that, but that it's absurd even to try-- you'll drive yourself crazy, and it's not going to work anyway.  People who live in the same house will share their germs, and you really can't do much to stop it.  And with twins, and infants?  No way.  They nurse at the same breasts, too, right?   And half the time they're rolling around on the floor together putting their hands in each other's mouths.  I have better things to do than to try and fight that. 

So yeah, I don't fuss about separate anything.   The only time I've made any effort is when we had serious illness in the house-- like rotavirus, or when DD2 had an antibiotic-resistant pneumonia last winter.  But for ordinary illnesses like colds, I still don't bother.

FWIW, though, we did very little parent-directed spoonfeeding when they were infants-- mine mostly fed themselves from the beginning, with their hands-- just bits and pieces of whatever the rest of the family was eating. 

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#10 of 13 Old 11-13-2010, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad that I am not the only one that uses the same spoon, as I posted this I thought 'They're going to think it's disgusting!' - So I am glad I am not the only one :)

LOVE the comment about the uterous, lol x

Natural & Proud hbac.gif and Breast Feeder.heartbeat.gif I Believe in Awareness! ribboncesarean.gif..ribbonpb.gif..redbluerib.gif

Birthing against medical advice was necessary!
love.gifheartbeat.gif~~ Doula In Training ~~heartbeat.giflove.gif
#11 of 13 Old 11-13-2010, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I never did purees either but anything that needed a bowl and spoon ended up being one bowl and one spoon unless they were sitting on opposite ends of the table and my DH could feed one.  They have shared sippycups and much more.  They let me know when they wanted their own.  Tonight was funny.... they both after about 18 months claimed their boob.  M had the left and S had the right, and this has not changed in the last 1.5 years.  Now S has always insisted on the right, and M didn't care as much as long as she got a boob... she's the one that nurses all the time.  So tonight, S sits up from nursing and says to M... "we trade now?"  M says, NO.  Then a minute later changes her mind and they did this funny trade places thing and went back to nursing.  So yeah, they share :)

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#12 of 13 Old 11-14-2010, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had the same spoon but different bowls. One ate faster than the other, so it was easier for me to keep track of who ate how much if the bowls were seperate. Now that they're three, they have their own plates (different colors) and their own cups (same color to match the plate) and they won't let each other eat off their plates. But when they were babies, it was usually the same spoon unless one was sick.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#13 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 05:16 PM

same everything.  i didn't care then and i don't care now... they're almost 2 and their cups get passed around all day.  i have no idea whose is whose.  and i suspect it will stay like that until they're old enough to care ;)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page