Teliing First Child that Twins are Coming - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-04-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How did you tell your child(ren) that twins were going to be joining your family? 

I'm very concerned about how my son, who turns 3 next week, would receive the news of just one, never mind two, babies in the house.  Up til now it's been me, hubby, and my son, who is a very sensitive and very attached little boy.

The babies are due in early July but I think we need to tell my son now because even the few people we've told don't know how to keep their mouths shut in front of our son, and he needs to hear the news from us.  Any suggestions?

#2 of 5 Old 12-05-2010, 05:24 PM

Perhaps try a book shop, maybe they have educational books for children in the same situation as him!?

I have 3 children that had to get used to the Twins arrival.. I explained it every day that Mummy had TWO babies in her tummy and I said come and kiss the babies.. and they kissed my bump each day!

When they come try to involve him in lots, that way he won't get too upset.. It is hard, the first few weeks are the worst BUT you will get there and it is definately worth it in the end! :)

Good Luck xx

Natural & Proud hbac.gif and Breast Feeder.heartbeat.gif I Believe in Awareness! ribboncesarean.gif..ribbonpb.gif..redbluerib.gif

Birthing against medical advice was necessary!
love.gifheartbeat.gif~~ Doula In Training ~~heartbeat.giflove.gif
#3 of 5 Old 12-06-2010, 07:14 PM

A book that I really liked was "What Baby Needs" by Dr. Sears.  It isn't specifically about twins, but we just modified it a bit when reading to our son.

My son was also just turning three when we found out about our twins. I'd also describe him as very sensitive and attached.  I don't remember exactly what we told him when we shared the news, but I think we just tried to focus on the positives and about how exciting and important it would be for him to be a big brother to two babies.  Our twins were born 6 months ago and he has done wonderfully... he adores them both and has not had any jealousy.  I think the key for us was making sure he had LOTS of attention from others (grandparents, etc.) when the babies arrived and trying to keep to his daily routine as much as possible.

Hope this helps.

Mom to son M (11/06), and twin daughters L & A (6/10).

#4 of 5 Old 12-07-2010, 05:48 PM

My daughter isn't quite 2 yet so this is probably different but we watch the Dora episode where she's having twin brothers on the way and talk about it.  She kisses my belly and says "babies?" but I'm not sure she gets it.  We are also getting her a doll and doll things (like a moby wrap, kid sized) so she can emulate what we do with the babies when they come.

Just remind yourself that even if it is hard on him at first - having siblings is such a blessing and he'll love them!

Liora - wife to Pete, IVF miracle DD babygirl.gif (2.11.09) 11 year Infertility survivor! FET miracle TWIN boys babyboy.gifbabyboy.gifborn 2/28 at 32 weeks and growing strong in the NICU.
#5 of 5 Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liora View Post

My daughter isn't quite 2 yet so this is probably different but we watch the Dora episode where she's having twin brothers on the way and talk about it.  She kisses my belly and says "babies?" but I'm not sure she gets it.  We are also getting her a doll and doll things (like a moby wrap, kid sized) so she can emulate what we do with the babies when they come.

Just remind yourself that even if it is hard on him at first - having siblings is such a blessing and he'll love them!

There is also a Dora book on that episode called Big Sister Dora. My 3 yr old DD loves it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page