is this normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2010, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my girls nurse nonstop.  they are 7 weeks old. we've had good weight gains (1 oz/day).  they were full term.  on an average day they nurse every 1.5 hrs during the day.  at night they nurse every 3-3.5 hrs.    weve been fortunate to not ever need to supplement.  ive never had to pump either.   i once in a while try and pump ...i usually only get an ounce... but they are nursing so often ifeel  like im never full!!!

they are pretty happy...(well so long as they are held!).  i nurse them on demand... and im okay that they nurse so often.  but it does make me worry a little bit bc it just seems NONSTOP.  

were your twins like this?   did any problems come up with nursing or is this just typical?  my singleton just wasnt like this - she nursed every 2-3 hrs from the start and by 7 weeks she slept 6-8 hrs..i know i was probably just lucky!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 02:00 PM

I've had singletons like this.  In fact, my worst would nurse every hour at night, and didn't really sleep until he was a year old.  I have hope that if I can survive THAT, twins won't be too hard......  He never had any health problems, and I did lose more weight more quickly in that postpartum than any of the others.  He was quite a little chunk, as you might imagine, but he started off large at 10.14 and 23 in.  He is 8 now and quite a healthy weight, not overweight, and sleeps fine.

For most of my others, 1.5-2 hours during the day at that age would be quite typical.  Most of them slept better than the kid I mentioned above, though.  I always remember that their tummies are approximately the size of their fist, and on a liquid diet.  It's no wonder they have to refill so often.  As long as the diapers look healthy and normal, yellow seedy breastfed baby diaps, they should be fine.

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mine were my first, but there were days where I just didn't bother putting on a bra. I had a die-hard nurser and an "in and out" nurser. D would latch on and stay there for about 45 minutes, and R would go in and be off and finished in about 10 minutes. So it all depends on the child. They would be on a three hour cycle at night and a 1.5 hour cycle during the day. Last night at 3.5 years, they actually slept through the night, so it does get better as they get older. :-)

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mine nursed like that, maybe a little less space between feeds at night.  But always at the same time and it still felt nonstop.  It does eventually get easier!

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 12-22-2010, 08:09 PM

Mine were 1.5hours all day for the longest time and 2-2.5 hours at night forever it seemed.  People thought I was either nuts or not making enough milk.  I think they just had growing to do -- went from term but tiny babies to off the charts in the first year.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 PM

Normal. Mine were constantly on the boob for like the first 3-4 months. I would just sit on the couch with my brest friend pillow and watch tv marathons. (Thank god for the DVR!) They'd nurse, fall asleep, I wouldn't move. They'd wake up, diaper change (cry the whole time), immediately back to the boob/couch. Round the clock.

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
Old 12-27-2010, 12:08 AM

Another vote for normal. And actually, if they're nursing only every 3-3.5 hours at night, I'd say they're doing pretty well. Mine nursed every 2 hours for 6 months. Maybe more. I can't remember, it's blurry from all that sleep deprivation! The worst was when they spaced it out so every hour one was waking to nurse.

You were very lucky with your first!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

so when did it get a little easier for you nursing wise?   they are 10 weeks and still nurse nonstop.  i feel like i cant leave my house =(   i know i may have been lucky with my first .... but i feel like by now there ought to be a little progress with spacing out a bit, ya know? im really starting to feel bad for my three year old...

Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauri456 View Post

so when did it get a little easier for you nursing wise?   they are 10 weeks and still nurse nonstop.  i feel like i cant leave my house =(   i know i may have been lucky with my first .... but i feel like by now there ought to be a little progress with spacing out a bit, ya know? im really starting to feel bad for my three year old...

We had a few plateaus where it seemed to get easier. Around four months was one-- they started to get interested in toys, which meant they had something else to do besides nurse all day. Plus, it's around that age when a lot of babies start to get more efficient-- they get the milk they need in shorter periods of time, so that even if they're nursing frequently, each session is over sooner. Not all babies are like that, though-- my DD2 was, but DS still indulged in a lot of comfort nursing. Around seven months, when they could sit steadily, was another time when it seemed to ease-- again, because they started to be more interested in other things, and could sit and play for short times, which distracted them from the constant nursing. And definitely by crawling age-- although by then, we had other challenges, namely that they started refusing to nurse at the same time-- they used to whack each other in the head until they had each other in total meltdown mode, and then I'd have to make one wait while the other nursed.

So it gets easier, in some ways, but new challenges arise! eyesroll.gif

I feel for you, though. Those first four months are so challenging. I too had a very easy first child, and so the demands of my twins caught me by surprise. And it's doubly hard when there are older children in the house who need you-- my DD2 was 2 when the twins came, and I remember THAT challenge vividly.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 12-28-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

im glad to hear it is normal.  nursing twins is definately INSANE.   im too stubborn to quit, but MAN this is HARD.  i am trying to enjoy their sweet newborness but i feel so pulled everywhere, ya know?  and i need to not read other sites bc ill go to a twin forum just to read and these mamas are talking about how their babies are nursjng every 3 hrs and sleep 6 hr stretches and ....makes me feel like i am doing something totally wrong!!!!!!!

so with the every 1.5 hr nursing, how did you handle naps??? my girls do not sleep enough during the day.  literally today they probably got an hour nap in.    they only sleep being held... so i do try and put one in a sling and one i bounce swaddled.  sometimes i can put the swaddled one down.  but it takes them about 45 minutes to nurse, then they are awake/alert, it takes 20 minutes to bounce to sleep so by the time they fall asleep they are hungry again...........   i am not at a scheduler, but i know they cant handle b ut so much awake time.  it ends up being this terrible cycle of no napping all day long....  any pointers?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:46 PM

I seem to remember things feeling better around New Years, which would have been about 14 wks. I just hesitate to say any age, because it could happen for them in the next week or over a month from now, it just depends on your babies!

Think of it this way, though--they're still in the "4th trimester" and when they get out of that it should be better all around. Usually it's between 3 and 4 months that things change.

As for naps, I didn't adhere to any nap schedule when mine were little. We were more in a routine. I'd change them, feed them, burp and rock them, and they'd sleep. They'd wake up and be alert for a little while and then want to eat--repeat from step 1! If your two only want to sleep when held, I'd double wear them in a wrap. How do they do swaddled in a swing? The swings were lifesavers for us. I could put them in there swaddled, with rhythmic white noise, turn those suckers on "high" and they lulled the babies to sleep. Have you read Happiest Baby on the Block? That covers 3 S's, swaddling, shushing, and swinging, and when they were full and burped it worked wonders.

Once they get more sleep and are not overtired, it may be easier to put them down for naps. Also, developing a nap routine where they can predict what is coming next, and know that they're going to get some sleep, is important IMO.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:47 AM

Wearing both in the Moby saved me some sanity while they were tiny. 

And yes, swings! I didn't get swings till they were about 4 months old -- I waited WAY too long. Swaddle, soothie, gently rock into the swing -- at least one would make the transfer to the swing successfully. Then I could put the second to sleep with more time to do the swing transfer, or put myself to sleep. 

Didn't get easier for me until about 3.5 or 4 months also, when they "woke up." Then, of course, they had to be entertained, so it was a new type of challenge. 

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
Old 01-01-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

ok so it sounds like maybe a little longer of the insanity.   i am just so darn tired. lately they have been waking up more at night to nurse.  i yelled at my husband last night that i was done and was going to switch them to formula =(  i dont really mean it but we went and saw family last weekend for christmas and they saw just how often they nurse and i got a lot of why are you torturing yourself comments which is just making me feel kinda low about it all.  

it seems like they will never nap at the same time so i cant even close my eyes and rest when they are.  i also have a three year old as i mentioned and as soon as i can put a baby down, she is at me for attention (which i totally understand).  i just dont have the energy to be much of a good mama to her right now.   i just keep reminding myself of affirmations I CAN DO THIS and that IT IS SUCH A SHORT TIME... but truthfully i am so worn down that im not really believing it.  

my hubby who is awesome i can tell is starting to fade too.  he's been awesome, but i can tell he is a little discouraged that i still cant leave the house much.  it takes such an effort to get the all packed up, in their seats, they scream in the car, to then 30 minutes later need to nurse them.   ugh.  im reading what i am writing and starting to think im getting a little depressed.  =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauri456 View Post

We had a few plateaus where it seemed to get easier. Around four months was one-- they started to get interested in toys, which meant they had something else to do besides nurse all day. Plus, it's around that age when a lot of babies start to get more efficient-- they get the milk they need in shorter periods of time, so that even if they're nursing frequently, each session is over sooner. Not all babies are like that, though-- my DD2 was, but DS still indulged in a lot of comfort nursing. Around seven months, when they could sit steadily, was another time when it seemed to ease-- again, because they started to be more interested in other things, and could sit and play for short times, which distracted them from the constant nursing. And definitely by crawling age-- although by then, we had other challenges, namely that they started refusing to nurse at the same time-- they used to whack each other in the head until they had each other in total meltdown mode, and then I'd have to make one wait while the other nursed.

So it gets easier, in some ways, but new challenges arise! eyesroll.gif

I feel for you, though. Those first four months are so challenging. I too had a very easy first child, and so the demands of my twins caught me by surprise. And it's doubly hard when there are older children in the house who need you-- my DD2 was 2 when the twins came, and I remember THAT challenge vividly.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

i did see the dvd when i was pg with my first.  we do swaddle... the swing trick actually did work once this week!  she took an hour nap not on me!!   they do seem to be developing an AM nap.   not at the same time or anything btu seem agreeable to take it.   when they wake up, they want to nurse...so i dont think that they can play and then eat.   but, ive been trying to eat, play, eat, nap and its been going a little better.   

ive also started to let myself not feel bad about using the swings, etc.  i dont know why in my head i had all babygear outside of wearing, rocking, nursing your baby as "bad" but with multiples you gotta keep your sanity too.   she actually passed out peacefully with smiles in the swing. it was cute.  my other dd didnt want anything to do with it, but one is not too bad. 

they are definately getting really aware.  they also seem to be gearing up to start rolling bc they are both planting down their foot now.   it will still be a little bit.  but i know with my first, once she could roll she wanted to roll around the room.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Lily View Post

I seem to remember things feeling better around New Years, which would have been about 14 wks. I just hesitate to say any age, because it could happen for them in the next week or over a month from now, it just depends on your babies!

Think of it this way, though--they're still in the "4th trimester" and when they get out of that it should be better all around. Usually it's between 3 and 4 months that things change.

As for naps, I didn't adhere to any nap schedule when mine were little. We were more in a routine. I'd change them, feed them, burp and rock them, and they'd sleep. They'd wake up and be alert for a little while and then want to eat--repeat from step 1! If your two only want to sleep when held, I'd double wear them in a wrap. How do they do swaddled in a swing? The swings were lifesavers for us. I could put them in there swaddled, with rhythmic white noise, turn those suckers on "high" and they lulled the babies to sleep. Have you read Happiest Baby on the Block? That covers 3 S's, swaddling, shushing, and swinging, and when they were full and burped it worked wonders.

Once they get more sleep and are not overtired, it may be easier to put them down for naps. Also, developing a nap routine where they can predict what is coming next, and know that they're going to get some sleep, is important IMO.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:12 AM

It's just so hard when you have another child, too. My DD was 2 when my twins were born. I felt terrible about it because I just could not entertain her or cuddle her or have patience for her like I used to. Like she needed. She started getting closer to her daddy and going to him instead of me, and it just crushed me. I felt like I was barely holding on with sleep and breastfeeding and taking care of the twins, and on top of that, failing as a mom to my toddler. Nothing I can say will make what you're going through easier, but at least I can tell you that when the babies started getting bigger, nursing less, playing more, sleeping more consistently, I was able to reconnect with my oldest and get back what we used to have. I still do have times where I feel bad about her not getting as much attention as she should, but at least now I can do something about that. In the beginning I just had to let her and her daddy be buddies and feel left out for awhile.

What you said about leaving the house is so true. Those first months it seemed a huge waste of time to get everyone ready and packed up, when I was just going to be nursing before and after. I vividly remember sitting on the floor of my minivan in parking lots, with diaper bags piled around me for pillows, tandem nursing and begging my DH to go get me some food before I fell over from hunger! All because he realIy wanted me to run to Target with him, to get us out of the house together. Easy for him to say, he's not the one tandem nursing in a weird position in the car! eyesroll.gif

I hope this makes you at least feel not alone. Keep doing your best, maybe you can go on a walk at naptime, if you can get them in the stroller. That at least lets you out of the house, which does help when you're feeling down. Mine used to fall asleep by the end of the walk, and when they were getting more alert I'd take them on a walk so they could look around and be entertained. Plus then your 3 year old can use up some energy! (I guess this depends if it's snowy where you live.)
Old 01-02-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

I think you are right on with the other child making it so hard.  My daughter is fortunately very good at entertaining herself.   However, I can tell how pushed aside she feels right now.  We've also been watching so much TV but what can you do.  It will not last.  I was beating myself up for it until my midwife  told me to let it go... she will be fine, that everyone has to do it.  But its also ridiculously hard to be there when you are just so worn down. Lately she's been following me into the shower bc she realizes at least (when DH is home) I am alone.   I've been letting her, but a 10 minute shower in solitude would also be nice..haha! 

I am so glad to hear that things seem to fall right back into place once the babies got bigger.  Right now I am doing my best to make sure she is all settled before a nursing session but of course in the middle of it, she starts crying that she needs something.  She is going to be starting a preschool three days a week which I think will be so good for her!!  My hubby can drop her off too so I am only going to have to worry about pickup.   

I loved your story about tandeming in the minivan bc your hubby wanted you to go to target together.... I have so been there. I actually nursed them in the changing room.  It was pretty comical.  I know mine is looking out for me  and wants me to get out of the house.... and it does feel good to do it...but when it takes such an effort, it just makes you not want to do it.  I can tell he is so ready to be able to do things which sometimes i get annoyed at him for being so pushy about it b/c at least he gets to go to work and get out.....why cant he just be content on the weekends.

Yesterday we were able to get them into the stroller.   (we've had a lot of snow--- im in the south where we usually dont get a ton, but we got that big storm) We have a pretty big backyard so I pushed them around while they napped and my daughter got to play on her swingset...it was good... it was also nice to be RIGHT by the house for when they woke up. 

On a happy note --- I measured them yesterday and my B baby has doubled her size from the lowest weight she was.  My A baby still has a little bit (she was bigger), but they both grew two inches in two weeks... YAY!  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spring Lily View Post

It's just so hard when you have another child, too. My DD was 2 when my twins were born. I felt terrible about it because I just could not entertain her or cuddle her or have patience for her like I used to. Like she needed. She started getting closer to her daddy and going to him instead of me, and it just crushed me. I felt like I was barely holding on with sleep and breastfeeding and taking care of the twins, and on top of that, failing as a mom to my toddler. Nothing I can say will make what you're going through easier, but at least I can tell you that when the babies started getting bigger, nursing less, playing more, sleeping more consistently, I was able to reconnect with my oldest and get back what we used to have. I still do have times where I feel bad about her not getting as much attention as she should, but at least now I can do something about that. In the beginning I just had to let her and her daddy be buddies and feel left out for awhile.

What you said about leaving the house is so true. Those first months it seemed a huge waste of time to get everyone ready and packed up, when I was just going to be nursing before and after. I vividly remember sitting on the floor of my minivan in parking lots, with diaper bags piled around me for pillows, tandem nursing and begging my DH to go get me some food before I fell over from hunger! All because he realIy wanted me to run to Target with him, to get us out of the house together. Easy for him to say, he's not the one tandem nursing in a weird position in the car! eyesroll.gif

I hope this makes you at least feel not alone. Keep doing your best, maybe you can go on a walk at naptime, if you can get them in the stroller. That at least lets you out of the house, which does help when you're feeling down. Mine used to fall asleep by the end of the walk, and when they were getting more alert I'd take them on a walk so they could look around and be entertained. Plus then your 3 year old can use up some energy! (I guess this depends if it's snowy where you live.)

User Tag List