Train vacation with twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-23-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone tried this?  The twins are only a year old and DD1 is 4 years old.  We're considering trying an Amtrak vacation with an overnight stay on the train.  I'm not sure how smart that is.  Any experience would be appreciated!

TIA!

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09
#2 of 5 Old 12-23-2010, 09:35 PM

would you be getting a private sleeper car? i bet it would be pretty fun if you can swing it and i bet the little ones would like the rock of the train to sleep too.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#3 of 5 Old 12-24-2010, 02:19 PM

Forum crashing from another ttc for over 12months thread grad. I am currently on a train with ds who is snoozing next to me. We are on a 21 hour ride and we have a sleeper car. So far it has been great. I think if you have a sleeper and the ride is not too long it can be really fun even with little ones.

sleepytime.gif
#4 of 5 Old 12-26-2010, 12:57 PM

I did this with 4 kids and my mom when the twins were 5 months old.  It worked fine and we didn't have a sleeper.  I brought lots of blankets and pillows and made spots on the floor for the babies and the big kids slept on their seats folded down. (Sometimes the footrests wiill fold up to make a crib, so look for those.) The kids all slept fine and I got in some nice chat time with my mom. Bring some extra snacks and plan to buy meals (we ate in shifts).  Definitly helps to have 2 adults.  I wouldn't do it by myself with 2 babies.  

I will do it this summer with 4 kids by myself.  But only 1 child will be under 6! 

And NO, I don't travel with computers or dvd players.  A few toys and a few snacks. 

Have a great time!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#5 of 5 Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!  I think we're going to try.  We'll book a sleeper at least one direction, although it's nice to know it's not necessary.  We'll have two adults, dh and I.  Now I'm starting to get excited as this would be our first vacation with only our family, as we've traveled with both grandparents in the last year to get additional hands for the babies.

J A with DD1 7/06, lost twins 9/08
DD2 12/09 & DS1 12/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page