did one of your twins meausre bigger than the other while you were pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm about 14 weeks along with twins and one baby is measuring a bit over 14 weeks and one is meausring a bit under.  Baby A is 14 percentile, and Baby B is 50 percentile.  The Perinatal doctor wasn't concerned at all though.

I'm curious if anybody had twins with one meausring bigger during your pregnancy?  How did things turn out as far as the babies' weight difference at birth? 

Thanks

#2 of 23 Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 AM

Mine measured right on at my first US at 9 weeks but later on the measured at a 5 day different in estimated gestational age.  When they were born they were only 1oz different in weight but 1 twin was 1" longer than the other.  If they are fraternal it is to be expected that they might differ slightly.  They are genetically different babies.  It could be more of a concern if they were identical and end up with TTTS.

Rachel
Mommy to DS13, DS12, DS7, DD5, DD3, and twin GIRLS : born at home in the water on 12/18/09
#3 of 23 Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My Baby A was always slightly bigger than her sister in utero.  At birth baby a was just under a pound bigger (6.11 and 5.12.)  They have stayed between 1 and 2 lbs apart ever since and are now 3 years old, although they are about the same height and shoe size.  Somehow the 1-2 lbs seem like a huge deal to us - different face shape, feels enormously heavier, eats totally differently.

Monozygotic (di-di so no TTTS) but totally different individuals, from before day 1!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#4 of 23 Old 02-10-2011, 08:20 AM

At the beginning of my pregnancy both babies tracked about the same for weight.  At around 30 weeks babyB (girl) started showing about 1/2 to 1lb more than babyA (boy).  At birth ds was 5lbs 8oz and dd was 6lbs 3oz.  Once born ds started gaining rapidly and quickly surpassed his sister in weight.  Now at 2-1/2 years old ds weighs 34lbs and dd is 29lb.  There was never any real worry during pregnancy as they both kept on a decent growth curve.  They did keep a closer eye on ds at one point just to make sure he was still growing.  

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#5 of 23 Old 02-10-2011, 08:22 AM

They constantly debated back and forth who was bigger.   They would always say DS was larger and quite a bit larger... but it was just he was longer.  He was smaller weight, and head and belly measurements. 

So as long as they are seperate sacs and seperate placentas (di/di) I wouldn't worry as much about weight discordance especially after 20 weeks when genetics more takes place.  Before 20 weeks as long as they are consistently measuring the same apart then its ok, but if one is lagging further and further behind each ultrasound it could be a sign of placenta insuffiency. 

ETA:  Baby A (girl) weighed 7lbs 12oz baby B (Boy) weighed lbs 4oz at 39.6 weeks

Mama to a zoo!
#6 of 23 Old 02-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Mine are di/di, with completely separate placentas in different quadrants of my uterus.  At 19 weeks we confirmed twins, and they were estimated about 5 day gestational difference.  Since then, they've always measured just a few ounces apart, less than half a pound.  

Just keep eating well and include lots of protein.  Congratulations on your twins!

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#7 of 23 Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 AM

With di-di tiwns, the concern is that they each maintain their growth curve.  Things are different if TTTS is a possibility.

One of my triplets was always smaller.  It wasn't until he fell off his growth curve that anyone was the slightest bit concerned with the difference.  

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#8 of 23 Old 02-18-2011, 07:07 PM

I found the measurements varied based on who was doing the ultrasound and the room for measurement error is huge.  In the beginning the babies are small and then later on they are crowded.  I had an ultrasound the day before my twins were born and they estimated them to be about the same size and when they were born they were 6.11 and 5.1.  My OB always said not to worry... as long as they are both still growing that is what is most important.

2twins.gif Twin Girls on November 11, 2010
#9 of 23 Old 02-20-2011, 02:00 AM

Mine measured differently from the first ultrasound at 8 weeks, R was always measuring a week behind. They think that I conceived on different days, which would account for it. The placentas merged very early, so I was going for scans every two weeks to keep an eye on things.R was always smaller and landed up giving birth at almost 37 weeks because R was not getting bigger and D was. A was 4.3 pounds and D was 5.28 at birth. They are still not even and D has always been taller and heavier but a really picky eater whereas R is shorter by about two inches and eats everything in sight (probably due to his brother stealing all the food in utero) :-) Now they are 3.5 and they still have a hight/weight difference that doesn't seem to bother them. R is a shoe size smaller and grows out of his clothes slower, D - can't keep him in a pair of pants.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#10 of 23 Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 PM

I think it became aparent that Baby A was bigger than Baby B.  However, a 33w high level u/s showed they were concordant; the later one didn't.  My OB was surprised that their weights were so different.  Baby A was 7lbs5oz; B was 5lbs3oz.  But they were (and are) very healthy.  Baby A is fairly average at 18mo; Baby B is still lighter and shorter and probably always will be.  Oh, and they were di/di.

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#11 of 23 Old 03-05-2011, 05:35 AM

My baby A always measured bigger than baby B, too.  But the doc was surprised when they were born that A was 6 lb 15 oz, and B was 5 lb 10 oz.  They were both 17 inches.  So A looked like a chubby newborn and B looked like a preemie.  It stayed that way until about 6 months.  And it was very confusing to people when I had the boys out-- because how could you have twins when one looks 3 months older than the other?!  But by 6 months they were exactly even and by a year, baby B was taller.  They're 8 now and have always stayed within a few pounds of each other, but "B" is now 4 inches taller than his brother and a couple of pounds heavier. He remains very thin, while his brother is muscular and actually on the short side.

As long as your twins maintain their own growth curve, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

#12 of 23 Old 03-05-2011, 06:58 PM

For me it was baby B that pulled ahead and started weighing more at about 26 weeks. At the last weigh in they said he was 5-10 while A was suposadly 4-13, a week later (so supposedly about a half pound more of growth) they were born B still at 5-10 and A at 5-3. So they were probably right about her last measure but clearly wrong with him because I can't imagine he did not grow that week, he grows like a weed!.

In general ther were not concerned of their different weights except that B was bigger so it might make it harder to do things like a breach extraction or an inversion. They said as long as he was less than 15% bigger they felt good about doing a breach, bigger than that they would want to have turned him.
Thankful he turned a few days later and all was good. Incedentally at birth A's head was just slightly larger than B so for what matters in birth itself she might of well have been the bigger one.

Now they are 9weeks old and B is about 10 pounds! And A is still smaller and actually even morevof a spread, weighing in at just 8.5 pounds. She has a totally different bone structure and is clearly a tiny girl, in all her features, not just on the scale. Both are totally healthy and safely tucked in the middle of growth charts with no extremes.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#13 of 23 Old 03-11-2011, 11:57 AM

My babies showed a weight discrepancy from 16 weeks and the gap continued to increase throughout the pregnancy.  As long as both babies are gaining weight at a good rate, it's alright to have one baby bigger than the other.  My babies were 5 lbs 15 oz and 7lbs 11 oz at birth....nine weeks later they are nearly 10 lbs and 12 lbs!  Still a weight difference but both very healthy.  One thing with twins that you learn very quickly is that they are definitely two different people who will do things at different rates, react differently, grow differently, show different personalities! 

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#14 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 PM

Ladies I am Tiffany. I am new to the group. I'll tell ya a little about my self. I was on clomid and in June found out I was pregnant. I live in Japan (husband is military) and the military hospital here can't care for twin. They want me to leave by 23 weeks.  At my first US at 9 weeks doctor only saw 1 baby. And at 14 weeks I was in a lot of pain thought I was having a miscarriage. I went in an at 14 week another doctor told me I was having twins! Such a blessing. I was so excited after have tried for 2 year we where having twins! When I was 15+4 weeks they sent me to a bigger hospital that has a level 2 US and the US showed baby A was he is measuring at 15+6 and B was only measuring 14+5 weeks.  So just to keep an eye on the baby I went back on Nov 18th when I was 18+6 weeks and again baby A was measuring 19+4 and B was measuring 17+4. They have their own placenta. One Dr said I could have ovulate 2 different times. But its VERY RARE. but does happen. They said if i was farther along and they where measuring different it would be OK but being under 20 week they are very worry. I am so scared now. I have had 2 other healthy babies.

#15 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 04:43 PM

Tiffany, I really dont think it is "very rare" to ovulate twice. Fraternal twins due to double ovulation, and since there are more twins that are fraternal than identical, I'd say it's more common than for an egg to split. 

So, are you coming back to the US to give birth? 

Congrats on your twins! Make sure to join us over here:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1356734/pregnant-with-twins-join-the-club/0_50

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#16 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 05:03 PM

Yes I have to leave no later than Nov 16th but they are pushing for Nov 10th. I'll be going to Norfolk VA.

#17 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 05:17 PM

what she means is that the doctor told her that it is very rare to ovulate at two completely different times, like a week apart and she is correct, that is suuuupper rare, no matter how many times folks think it happened to them, to double ovulate more than about 12-24 hours apart is a very rare thing, the hormone signal that the first ovulation sends out effectively shuts the system down, with fraternal twins the second egg got out before the signal was picked up.

Tifanny, first off, congrats, twice!! and welcome to mothering.com!!!  please also join other military families over on that group, we would love to have you. 

Military Family Life

as for the measuring differently, i will say a few things.  

• if it took clomid to have you O that puts you on a pretty precise hormonal timeline, not the type that would O out of sequence most likely, but you never know, im sure stranger things have happened!
  • notice how neither kids mesures exactly what the date is? mesureing is pretty impersise. and we are talking milimeters here, so one tech will me sure things diferntly than anotehr even in the same day.  
  • notice that in the last scan each baby measured just 5 or 8 days off in their own way, if that was a singleton baby in there, they would probably never have mentioned it!

By 18 weeks my twins clearly had two differnt body types, and two difernt sizes, they were like that from at least my 14 week NT scan and still are at nearly 2 years old.

Did you get a NT scan around 14 weeks? it is when the measure an area on the back of the neck to look for some genetic issues

Are you getting a 20 week anatomy ultrasound?  these things can tell you a lot, since they will measure a lot of smaller things and get a good look at all the organs and large bone lengths. have you determined sexes yet?

from my math it looks like the babies are only measuring 8% different, at basically 19weeks, that is almost exactly what mine were, (7% if i recall at 18+4)  this did not concern any of my doctors at all. the wanted to see that both were growing and that their basic parts like leg bone and head circumference matched up with overall lengths and such

yes there are a lot of unknowns, but your babies have gotten past the halfway mark and are still growing, i hope that gives you some calm.

where will you be flying out to for the birth, do you have a support system in place where you are going?

anyway congrats again and again, it may be stressful right now, but you have in fact won the lottery!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#18 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 05:19 PM

ah shucks wish you were coming a bit farther north, we are in the DC area (army family)

#19 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 05:42 PM

I only know a couple people in Norfolk area. They did measure bone lengths at my last appt. But I don't remember them looking at the organs.

#20 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 05:46 PM

is your hubby coming with you? do you have family coming out? where was home base before Japan?  wishing you a smooth and wonderful birth and a supported newborn time

#21 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 PM

Yes he is coming with but will have to return once twins are born.  I have a cousin who also stationed in Norfolk.

#22 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 07:44 PM

well please come over the the military group and let us know if we can help you with anything, we have a great group of moms, I'm just 3 hours north of you, and folks may know others even closer, we got your back!

#23 of 23 Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 PM

I joined. I am still learning how to move around on this site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page