Back pain: does it ever go away?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-10-2011, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
During my pregnancy I had horrible back pain right from the beginning, where my ligaments were so loosened from the hormones that at times I couldn't walk or move my legs. I'm guessing it's because I have di/di twins and the double placentas made double the hormones.

I thought it would go away when they were born, but now my twins are 2 and I still get it sometimes. I have to actively work on my core muscles, otherwise I get the same debilitating pain and can't walk. Still, it's been a daily issue for me for 2 years, and I know that picking up 2 kids all day, plus all the toys on the floor and endlessly stepping over baby gates just makes the whole thing worse. The root of it is my lower back but that messes up the rest of it all the way to my neck.

I have talked to a couple other twinmoms who tell me that they've had the same problem. Interestingly, they have di/di twins, and my mo/di (1 placenta) twinmom friend doesn't have the back pain!

So tell me, especially if you had more than 1 placenta in your pregnancy, did you have back pain that continued after pregnancy? Did it ever go away for you? what did you do about it?
#2 of 4 Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 AM

Yes!  I am in pain literally all day long, it just gets either worse or less painful depending on what I'm doing.  I have had scoliosis for years, so it just makes it worse.  Then the di/di twins, then the never ending tandem nursing (still happening), lying on my back to nurse them and them often staying latched on forever to stay asleep...ya, it's been tough. 

Yesterday I went to a massage therapist, and she said my back muscles are pulled and stretched out in all different directions...no surprise I guess.

What I'm planning to do:

massage therapy, physiotherapy, see a chiropractor too maybe

I also need to lose some weight, and I need to do some core work too, I have a bad diastasis that probably isn't helping.

And we're nightweaning right now (sudden decision, couldn't take the pain anymore) and possibly moving the girls to their own room, since cosleeping is hard on my back too.

I'd love some more ideas too...what time of core work are you doing SpringLily?

Mama to S&H, twin girls born 4/09

Baby 3 due 2/12

#3 of 4 Old 02-18-2011, 07:49 AM

I had horrible low back pain in my twin pregnancy and it continued after they were born until now even-they just turned 3.  I am expecting another baby in June, so the pregnancy is making the low back pain even worse.  I tried the chiropractor for a long time and it did not seem to help anything.  I have been meaning to get to a massage therapist so see if that would help, but our funds are very low for anything extra like that.  If you find something that works, let me know.  I would love to fix this problem.

Diana

#4 of 4 Old 02-22-2011, 04:26 PM

I've now had two massage sessions and 3 physio sessions.  Haven't been to chiro yet.  It has helped yes, but maybe it's too soon, or maybe it's because I'm still doing all those things that bring on the pain (ie, tandem nursing lying down, sleeping with them).  I do find the exercises the physiotherapist gave me are helpful to reduce the pain, so perhaps that may help you as well, dgonz? 

Mama to S&H, twin girls born 4/09

Baby 3 due 2/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page