Babies and attention-getting behavior - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had four babies before the twins, and I don't remember the other ones doing this. Matthew and Molly are 3 months old and they are so funny! If I am nursing one but not paying attention (or paying attention to the other one!) the baby I am holding will start cooing and smiling and laughing and practically tap dancing to get my attention. It is the cutest and funniest thing ever. Is this a twin thing?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-02-2011, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know for sure-- I only have the one other kiddo. But it sure did happen with my twins-- and it keeps right on up. Even now, if I'm doing something with one, talking or reading or playing or cuddling, the other one is right there, trying his/her darndest to get me to transfer my attention. Sometimes it's SO cute and adorable. Sometimes it worries me, though. They compete with each other for my attention, and DH's attention, and just about everybody else's. It has taken me a LOT of time and patience to work out how to minimize it-- it worries me that they feel like they have to compete with each other over EVERYTHING.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 07:02 PM

I've stared getting glared at by my girl when I'm nursing just my boy and she is close buy. Will be interesting to see what that turns into when she is capable of a bit more in the coming weeks.
annettemarie likes this.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

I've stared getting glared at by my girl when I'm nursing just my boy and she is close buy. Will be interesting to see what that turns into when she is capable of a bit more in the coming weeks.

Oh my gosh, that's hilarious! I thought boy/girl twins would be kind of... I don't know, less exciting than two of a kind? But in reality, it's fascinating to see the differences. Tonight Molly was trying to pull herself up into a sitting position. Matthew can barely put weight on his legs. He is sooooo much more laid back than his sister. Thank goodness, though, because if I had two with Miss Molly's temperament (and temper!) I don't know what I would do.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

I don't know for sure-- I only have the one other kiddo. But it sure did happen with my twins-- and it keeps right on up. Even now, if I'm doing something with one, talking or reading or playing or cuddling, the other one is right there, trying his/her darndest to get me to transfer my attention. Sometimes it's SO cute and adorable. Sometimes it worries me, though. They compete with each other for my attention, and DH's attention, and just about everybody else's. It has taken me a LOT of time and patience to work out how to minimize it-- it worries me that they feel like they have to compete with each other over EVERYTHING.

That's a bit of what I worry about too-- is this just the beginning of a lifetime of jockeying for attention? I do think that with boy/girl twins, eventually their interests will probably diverge enough that they won't always be competing with each other.

#6 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
 I do think that with boy/girl twins, eventually their interests will probably diverge enough that they won't always be competing with each other.

i went thru high school with a step brother that was 6 weeks older than me, and boy did we fuss about some things, biggest one for us.... dating each others friends! it was bound to happen since we saw so much of each other, but it sucked. he kept messing up with my best girlfriends (who never took my advice to stay away from him) and i lost friends over them not wanted to come over anymore since he was there., yuck

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#7 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

i went thru high school with a step brother that was 6 weeks older than me, and boy did we fuss about some things, biggest one for us.... dating each others friends! it was bound to happen since we saw so much of each other, but it sucked. he kept messing up with my best girlfriends (who never took my advice to stay away from him) and i lost friends over them not wanted to come over anymore since he was there., yuck

Oh well, my babies aren't allowed to date anyone, ever, so that should solve that. orngtongue.gif
WaltFive likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page