"Spring Forward" and Weaning Toddlers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2011, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Background:  I'm still trying to completely nightwean my 2 1/2 year old twin girls.  It's been a long process, but I'm on the final stage of giving up the 5am feeding.  I'm trying to decide if it's a good idea to give up the feeding when daily savings time ends, as then they would be getting up at 6am and not 5am.  When I tried to delay their feedings before, they would wait until 5am, but then would get up for the day at that time.  Then I went back to nursing them back to sleep and they get up around 6 or 6:30 for the day.  So far in the weaning process I've given up nightfeedings altogether and they are down to 3 nursings a day:  5am, noon and 7pm.  I wouldn't mind child-led weaning, but since one of my daughters had major dental work done partically because of night-nursing, I want to completely wean them at night.  And I'm afraid that if I don't completely wean them that they won't stop asking for that early morning nursing session. 

Questions:  If you led the weaning process, what nursing sessions did you give up first, second, last, etc?  And how long did you wait before eliminating another session?  I first cut out nightfeedings (which took a few months) and then I've been eliminating one day-session per week for the last 2 weeks.  The girls have been getting more clingy though and I'm hoping they are adjusting ok to not getting as much Mommy-milk time.  What are some things you did to help with that transition?  I wanted to eliminate some more feedings in the day (maybe noon?) before eliminating the morning session, but thought it might be a good opportunity with daily savings ending.  What do you think?   

Thanks,

Sarah Joy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to move this to Breastfeeding Problems, as I think it may be more applicable there.  I'm not sure how to erase this thread though.  So if the moderator sees this, you can erase it.  Thanks, Sarah Joy

Old 03-31-2011, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Just in case anyone wonders.  I did end up weaning the girls from their morning feeding at the time change and they started waking up at 6am.  A hard few weeks, but I've completely weaned them now!  It took about 6 weeks from start to finish, cutting out one feeding per week.  They are not that happy about it still, but are doing fine.  I am still engorged, but it's getting better.  Hard to believe I'm done with my nursing career as a mom!

Sarah Joy

User Tag List