Three children talking at the same time - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-02-2004, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How does one negotiate three or more children all needing to tell you something at the same time. We seem to have the dinner table down. I ask each child one at a time what they did in school, on the playground ect. The car and other venues are a totally different story. I can't make eye contact in the car so I find it very difficult to drive and negotiate whos turn it is to talk. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

Julianne

PS my children are 5.5yo and twins 2.5yo
#2 of 4 Old 04-02-2004, 09:11 PM

I just tell them, "Wait, I can't understand and you need to take turns." This includes to my husband as well. Then I name one to go first and make sure I interject at some point if they go on too long and say something like, "let's let (insert name here) talk for a while and then we'll get back to that because it's very important but (insert name here) really needs to tell us something." This works, of course, only in an ideal world, but it's a way I try to handle it. I always give my husband the floor first because he's doesn't get to talk to me as much as the kids. Usually the toddlers don't have a long story to tell, so I let them talk before my 12 yr old who can go on for hours.
So, that's my response. After raising kids, we'll be great diplomats!:LOL
#3 of 4 Old 04-16-2004, 01:42 AM

This is my biggest nightmare so when you figure it all out let me know!! i think your idea at the dinner table is great because i dont have that down and i only have one talker. my husband sit there and my 3 yr old would talk for hours if you let her. we have two girl 1 year olds and it wont be long till i have three gabber jaws. AHHH!! Dont your ears just ring at night once they have all gone to bed!!

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#4 of 4 Old 04-16-2004, 12:40 PM

lol, oh, my ears ring, my husband's ring even more!
Your poor dh, like mine, he's got soooo many girls! Go easy on him if he starts spending lots of time in the garage puttering around!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page