Seeking Some Advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-27-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello All,

I'm usually just a lurker but I thought you ladies might be able to give me some opinions. I am currently 25 weeks pregnant with twin boys. These are number 5 and 6 for me. I had an emergency C-Section with my 3rd and a VBAC with my 4th. These babies are most definitely our last, which means this is my absolute last chance to have the birth experience I want.

Here is my problem. I REALLY want to have a homebirth but have been unable to find a midwife in my area that takes Medicaid. I tried switching my care to a birthing center that is about 30 minutes away but they don't take you after 20 weeks. I do not want to stay with my current doctors for a few reasons

1) They keep trying to talk me into a c-section even though I have told them numerous times I want a vaginal birth. They also told me that if baby B is breech, I will have to have a c-sect....I don't understand why that would be a required section

2) I did a little research today and found out that the c-section rates for these doctors are 20 and 27%......I'm definitely not comfortable with that

3) At my last appt when I tried to discuss the pains I've been having recently, the dr just brushed me off and said "oh well you're carrying 2 babies". I was quite upset by that

4) Lastly, I really DO NOT want to deliver at the hospital that they are saying I would have to go to because of the twins. I delivered at this hospital with my 2nd and I really did not like the experience

I am still hoping to find a midwife that takes my insurance AND will take me on so far into the pregnancy but if not I am looking at a few doctors that are in the next city (about 30 min away). I delivered at the hospital there with my last baby and had a great experience.

I guess what this is all leading up to is how risky is it really to have a homebirth with twins? And what about unassisted? I have joked with my husband that I just may birth them in the tub but I am half serious. I really want a homebirth and i just don't know what to do about this situation. Sorry for such a long post.

#2 of 3 Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 PM

Hiya,

Just wanted to say that I am sending you good thoughts as you make your way through this decision.  Maybe if you start the process of interviewing HB midwives, you'd start to get a good read on whether a BHAC with twins is right for you?

Carolyn

Mom to Liam 9/06, spirit baby 3/09, and identical twins Mateo and Sebastian 10/11namaste.gif

#3 of 3 Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I'm currently looking for a midwife that will take my insurance but it is proving to be quite difficult and financially we are not able to pay out of pocket for one. I do want to have a homebirth but I am ok with birthing at a hospital if I can find a doctor that isn't trying to push a c-section on me.

Tags
Homebirth , Magical Multiple Moments Parents Of Multiples Share Stories And Advice On Raising Happy Healthy Twin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page