How long did you wait until your first official outing with your babies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-02-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So the babies are now 2 weeks and one day old. We've been to my mom's house (5 miles down the road) for a family lunch, we've been to the pediatrician's office twice, and the chiropractor once. I noticed that the outing to the pediatrician and chiropractor (both in the same day) kinda messed up their schedule, and they had a hard time nursing down last night, they wanted to stay wide awake and cluster nurse all night and this morning. They seem to be back into their little schedules now (I'm nursing on demand right now, and it's been working out for everyone).

So far (*knock on wood*) these babies have been perfect angels. I haven't had the horrible time that everyone seems to talk about during the first month?- maybe it's coming? They poop, pee, nurse and sleep, not necessarily in that order, and only cry when one of those things is bothering them.

So when was your first official trip OUT of the house with your babies? Besides the doctor's or out of absolute necessity. Like when did you take them on their first walk around the block? Or take them to a restaurant? I'm getting a little claustrophobic here in the house, but I DEFINITELY don't want to leave them, I don't want to risk them picking anything up, and neither do I don't want to screw their schedules up again, so I'm totally willing to suck it up and stay home, but just curious about everyone else!!(Oh and for those of you who had a section, did this affect when you first went out with them?)

Thanks in advance for the feedback!!!

Wife (32) of 8 years to DH (33), Mom to Logan geek.gif (7), and Tristan and Cael, twins.gif the wee ones, born 3/18/11! And OMW a surprise babyf.gif due 2/2013!
#2 of 6 Old 04-02-2011, 02:26 PM

I took my girls out the first full day home. They were 5 days old. We
took a stroll around the block. I got a baaaad case of PPD and last
week we went camping in our RV out in Lake Tahoe, NV. We live in
SoCal so the drive was 9hrs but we arrived to a huge snowstorm.
I never left the RV except for a brief run down the slopes. None of
our friends were permitted to come in our RV and I constantly wiped
the place down. My husband was snowboarding all day and I loved
it. We needed a break from each other. I am totally over the delicate
baby stage and take the girls with me everywhere. The only caveat
is they HATE their infant carriers so we leave the convertible car seat
in the car and carry them everywhere. I tried using the swag carry but
it was killing my back.

Twins are such a marvel that I am constantly getting stopped by the
curious folk when we go out. I don't mind but sometimes I want to be
on my way and it can slow us down.

My husband and I were a very active couple so being stuck in the
house is a huge shock to our systems. My girls are only 3 wks old
and so far nursing and pumping is my only challenge. My Sophia
has trouble latching on so I bottle feed her. Its the nursing and
pumping that kills me. I plan to do it as long as possible but I hate
it. smile.gif
#3 of 6 Old 04-02-2011, 08:59 PM

besides the doc and a trip to ikea and a baby store they stayed in till we drove 5 hours to go see family at 6 weeks, but the weather sucked big time and i'm sure that affected our going out more than the age of the babies.

we ate diner at a restaurant with them for the first time around 8 weeks at that point museum visits started as well. we now have a weekly double date with DH, we pick him up from work and make a evening of it, it has done more for our mental health than even sleep could do (but boy that would be nice too)

we have a very amazing stroller with double bassinettes, so the babies could lay down and stay so cuddled and relaxed that walking places was wonderful, using the infant carseats when they were so tiny was sucky big time, still is a pain, though i an happier now that they fit better, still get them out of them as fast as i can.

if they were born today i'm sure they would be going out for walks within the week

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 6 Old 04-03-2011, 12:43 AM

The day the boys got out of the NICU we took them to a family wedding. DH and I each wore one boy and nobody was allowed to breathe on them. :-) We had another family wedding a week later, and they came with us then too. Still weren't allowed to breathe on them. :-) We were very active socially before the babies were born, and we just sort of fit that into our lives in the early months - we each just wore one. Gong to restaurants was a bit trickier because the double stroller wouldn't necessarily fit between the tables, but we managed. Once they turned three months old, we had a friend's wedding and from then on we just left them at home. They went with us everywhere until then, though. I tried to take them out every day, they both fit very nicely together in the back of the duo glider when it was lying down, so I would put them in together, I would take a book and we would go and sit in the park. They would sleep, I would read and relax, then take them in for the next feed. It didn't happen every day, but I would try and do it at least twice a week. They were born at the beginning of August, so it was easier and here winter lasts until at least the beginning of October, so it was nice to get out.

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

#5 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 AM

I had 38 weekers in mid-February, plus 4 others at home.  We didn't go anywhere for a while.  I've had 2 kids hospitalized with RSV, and definitely didn't want that again.  One of the first big outings was to a 40th birthday party (with no other kids) in April.  I had been known to take my kids to the mall, Target, to a friend's house, but once the twins showed up we slowed down.  We eventually did more walks with big brother and one in the stroller and wearing the other.

Sunshine, wife and mom of 6...with b/g twins in '09
#6 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 PM

First of all: Congratulations on your beautiful brand new babies!

We took the boys out as soon as i was able to walk again, which from memory took about 2 weeks or so. I didn't have a c-section, but my pelvic bones had separated during the birth, so I couldn't move for a while.

DH and i would both have one baby in the sling each, and go for walks and even to restaurants, anything to get us out, every day. Ours weren't on any sort of routine until they hit about 4 or 5 months, so there was nothing to mess up, they'd just sleep in the sling when tired. I think at the newborn stage this usually works really well, as long as they're close to you they'll fall asleep, so maybe you could still have your routine, but they sleep while you're out? Also, once they hit...hmm...6 weeks or so, I caved in and bought a single pram, which meant i could go out with both of them on my own (one in sling, one in pram).

I can totally understand that you want to get out, for me that was what kept me sane for the first few months, and still does!

Good luck with it all, and enjoy your beautiful babes!

jenny, with 10 months old sweetpeas joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page