ID or fraternal? What do you reckon?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 04-06-2011, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sooo, we've finally decided to get the dna test to see weather our boys are identical or fraternal. Fun!! bouncy.gif

It'll still be at least two weeks until we get the results, so I thought let's pass the time by guessing what it will be!

Here's what makes me think they might be ID:

-for the first 3 months we could barely tell them apart (lucky Ethan's got a birthmark on his forehead!)

-If they just wear nappies I have to have a really close look to figure out who's who

-DH gets them confused all the time

-they have the same build, same skin tone, same eye colour, hair is same colour and texture

-they have the same weirdly shaped feet (got that from me, yay winky.gif), and same shaped hands

-they both have a little hairy patch on their lower backs, just like their daddy

-their facial features are very similar

-their, ahem, private parts look the same (lol.gif see, I always figured all little boys looked the same down there, but thanks to it being summer here and us going to the beach everyday I can now confirm: They do not!)

-they hit their milestones (standing, crawling, babbling, teeth...) withing a few hours to a couple of weeks of each other

Here's what makes me think they might be fraternal:

-Well. Sometimes they just look really really different to me!

-Some of our friend think they look quite different

-Leo's eyes are bigger, and his face looks a little fuller, plus he's got a more hair

-Ethan's ears seem to stick out a little more

-their foreheads have slightly different shapes

And now the fun part: Here are some pictures where they have *somewhat* similar facial expressions:

Brand new boys:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58172621@N08/5594011955/

In the pram:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58172621@N08/5594600126/

Hanging out at home:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58172621@N08/5594601264/

And all 3 of us at the playground last night:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58172621@N08/5594015317/

Tell me what you think! Just for fun, and to pass the time until the results come in. And upload some pic of your own beautiful multiples, I just love seeing everyone's little ones! joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 04-06-2011, 03:38 PM

My rule of thumb is that if Mum ever thinks they might be ID, they are. 

Those pictures look about as alike as the two sets of ID twins I hang out with most.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#3 of 31 Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 PM

I'd say ID is a safe wager. :)  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#4 of 31 Old 04-06-2011, 04:41 PM

They look ID to me! I know two sets of baby boy twins, both fraternal, and they look a LOT less similar than your two lovelies. It'll be neat to find out, either way!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#5 of 31 Old 04-06-2011, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh, they look ID to me. But some fraternal twins look a lot alike. I think I read that even Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen were fraternal.

#6 of 31 Old 04-06-2011, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

My bet is on identical!

#7 of 31 Old 04-07-2011, 02:14 AM

My girls are fraternal. Unless they're dressed differently, I can not tell them apart. Seriously. One used to be smaller than the other with kind of rounder eye sockets but her face has since filled in and they are total copies of each other. Mine are DI/DI so I know they're not identical - just look-a-like sisters. And even though the twins don't have the same bio-dad as my TeenBaby, their baby pics are strikingly similar. They even suck the same thumb as TeenBaby used to and favor the same breast.

*My husband and his older brother are IDENTICAL in looks, mannerism and speech only the brother is several years older and has salt/pepper hair. And all four of his sisters look like carbon copies of their mother, even down to their Marilyn Monroe beauty marks. Strong genes I guess.

Mary Kate and Ashley are fraternal - maybe your babies are copy-catters too! thumb.gif

#8 of 31 Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfette2 View Post

Mine are DI/DI so I know they're not identical - just look-a-like sisters.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions about multiples. DI-DI multiples CAN be ID.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#9 of 31 Old 04-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

As HerGrace says, plenty of di-di twins are identical, and the ONLY way you can know frat or id is by a DNA test, unless twins are a different sex, hair color, eye color, etc.  I've heard as many as 30% of same sex twins are ID.  My girls, and lots of sets I know, were di-di MZ.  We assumed frat until at 15 months, when I was tired of telling people, no, they're not identical, and people not believing me, we got them tested.  Lo, ID!  Plus, like your boys our twins hit all their milestones together - rolling, sitting up, walking, teeth, talking, etc.  I'd bet that nearly all people that test find out ID.  As a PP said, if mom thinks they might be MZ, they are!

Your boys are adorable, and one of the more similar sets I've seen.  I'd put a lot of money on MZ.  Please let us know how it turn out!

Mom to : Belle and Izzy
#10 of 31 Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 PM

My guess is MZ!

Heather, Army wife & Mama to M (10), J (9), L & S (my HBAC babies are 7!), N & R (5), and A (born 11/30/12 UBA2C)
#11 of 31 Old 04-07-2011, 06:47 PM

That's identical! And adorable! Congrats on such beautiful babies!

When my boys came out we didn't know whether they were ID or not -- two sacs, two placentas. But they sure did look a lot alike! The question was, did they look alike cus they were babies, brothers, or truly identical? There are definitely differences between them, like yours. Little fuller face on one, slightly higher forehead on the other, etc. The DNA confirmed that they were a match. I'm sure yours will do the same!

I bet that the Olsen twins are in fact identical, but were in separate sacs, so they THINK they they are fraternal. Because those girls don't look like just any ol' sisters. 

Basically, if only Mama (and people who are around the twins all the time) can tell em apart, that means they're identical.

This image helped demonstrate all the different types of twinning, and how di-di CAN be MZ or DZ. http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/monozygotic+twins

twin.jpg

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
#12 of 31 Old 04-19-2011, 03:21 AM

Look totally ID to me.love.gif

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#13 of 31 Old 04-20-2011, 12:45 AM

I vote ID :)

Wife to my loving husband, James.  Mother to a beautiful daughter, Jules (8/6/08).  Expecting twin girls September 19th, Jade and Jemma.

#14 of 31 Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM

as a mom to confirmed ID di/di twin girls (DNA tested in the NICU), I'd say your boys are ID, too! 

I can pick out small difference in my girls (for example one has a rounder face even though the weigh the same) but everyone else gets them confused. 

Beautiful babies, btw!

read.gifLibrarian, Wife and Mostly Crunchy Domestic Engineer. Mama to two little "birds"- ID di/di twin girls (3/09)twins.gif and a "fuzz" (2/11) babyboy.gif
#15 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 AM

id! when do you get the results?

i love these threads. your boys are so beautiful!

mine are not id - no doubt about it.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#16 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

We should have gotten the results about a week ago, but still nothing! And now with the easter break... A little frustrating.

Will call them after the easter holiday's to kick their butts a bit, and then let y'all know once we've got an answer winky.gif

My guess is becoming more and more id too, but we'll see.

A very happy easter to you all!

#17 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 07:48 PM

Happy Easter to you too! :)

#18 of 31 Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfette2 View Post

My girls are fraternal. Unless they're dressed differently, I can not tell them apart. Seriously. One used to be smaller than the other with kind of rounder eye sockets but her face has since filled in and they are total copies of each other. Mine are DI/DI so I know they're not identical - just look-a-like sisters. And even though the twins don't have the same bio-dad as my TeenBaby, their baby pics are strikingly similar. They even suck the same thumb as TeenBaby used to and favor the same breast.

*My husband and his older brother are IDENTICAL in looks, mannerism and speech only the brother is several years older and has salt/pepper hair. And all four of his sisters look like carbon copies of their mother, even down to their Marilyn Monroe beauty marks. Strong genes I guess.

Mary Kate and Ashley are fraternal - maybe your babies are copy-catters too! thumb.gif

As others have already said, di/di means nothing as far as zygosity. Statistically, 30 percent of monozygotic twins present di/di. My di/di girls are DNA test-confirmed monozygotic. If you really can't tell your girls apart, I'd spring for the DNA test. And I wish Mary Kate and Ashley would, too.;-)

And OP, I vote MZ based on the pictures and your suspicion. I've never actually spoken to anyone who did DNA testing and got a DZ result. If Mom suspects it and continues to suspect, it's probably so. 

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#19 of 31 Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 PM

My bet is on identical too and such cuties!

I have another set of di/di identicals confirmed by dna test.  It's definitely a common misconception, even the u/s tech told me that they were fraternal because they were di/di.  If we would have waited to do the dna test, we could have confirmed it ourselves, once they filled out and the whole in utero characteristics of one being breech and one being vertex faded, it was obvious that they were identical.

Full Time Student & Mommy to 3 princesses! 9/03, 2/07 & 2/07

#20 of 31 Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 AM

I'm going to be the odd one out and say they are fraternal. I can see small differences just from their photos-and btw, they are precious!!!

Eva, Tired Single Mama of Hurricane Bella~3/06 and Boy Bug Silas~7/08 fencing.gif

delayedvax.gifintactlact.gifcd.gif

#21 of 31 Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 AM

I also think they're MZ and very cute!  

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#22 of 31 Old 05-05-2011, 12:30 PM

So, did you get the results? They look MZ to me! :)

Mama to a preschooler and a baby.

#23 of 31 Old 05-06-2011, 07:56 AM

I think they look pretty identical!  Curious to hear what the results were!

Here are my boys...they're di/di and everyone is always asking if they're identical, so I've just started saying they are.  But, I do think that they are looking more different as they are getting older (16 mos now).  I posted a threaqd when they were just a few months old with a pic... I should try to dig it up!

IMG_3536.JPG

IMG_1154.JPGIMG_1159.JPG

Leah mom to Delilah 9/00, angel Stephen lost 5/25/09 at 40 weeks, and twins Gus and Cash 1/10

Expecting a miracle January 2012

#24 of 31 Old 05-08-2011, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my god Leah, your boys are so CUTE!!! Aarrrgh, I wanna eat them up ROTFLMAO.gif!

And my guess with yours is MZ, definately.

I called the DNA people last week, and they reckon the results should be coming any day now. We'll see... I asked the lady if she could tell me the results over the phone, and she happily replied Oh no, I really can't, although I'm looking straight at them right now!

I mumbled that that was a bit mean, to which she replied Indeed, but I think you'll be very pleased.

Hmhmm.

Update will follow!

#25 of 31 Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

The results are back!

"[...] the probability of the twins being identical is 99.9996%"

Cool orngbiggrin.gif.

#26 of 31 Old 05-10-2011, 12:31 AM

Yayy! Beautiful!

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
#27 of 31 Old 05-10-2011, 05:12 AM

neato! :)

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#28 of 31 Old 05-11-2011, 11:33 AM

How cool!  Your kids are adorable!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#29 of 31 Old 05-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Neat to know! They're so cute!
Quote:
Originally Posted by someonenamedleah View Post

Here are my boys...they're di/di and everyone is always asking if they're identical, so I've just started saying they are.  
Leah, I've got to break it to you--your boys are identical! Di/di just means the embryo split early enough for them to have their own placentas. Plenty of MZ twins are di/di, that doesn't mean they're fraternal. And with MZ twins you can still see differences, so just because there are small differences it doesn't mean they're fraternal.

#30 of 31 Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Right we are again! :) Nice to know for sure, isn't it?

And Leah, I am laughing hysterically, because only the mom of those boys, who sees every teensy bit of difference between them, could possibly have any doubt that they are MZ. The rest of the world sees the same face twice. 

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.

Tags
Co Sleeping With Multiple Kids , Magical Multiple Moments Parents Of Multiples Share Stories And Advice On Raising Happy Healthy Twin

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page