I can't stand how tandem nursing feels - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-30-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

okay, mamas- not quite sure if this is a pmult thread or a bfing forum thread, but I figure y'all have wisdom about it for sure... my twinners are 5weeks old. They are EBF. Baring DD's rather crappy latch, in theory, I can tandem nurse them. Except that I CAN'T STAND how tandem nursing feels. Seriously, it is like a oxytocin punch in the gut or something. Major, major overstim for me. I've tried sucking it up and deep breathing and blahdeblah, but YIKES, I don't like how it feels.

My question is- can anyone relate to this? Is there hope that it will get better? Right now, they aren't really on the same schedule, so it isn't usually an issue, but I'm sure nursing babes round the clock and it would be nice to cut some of that time down...

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#2 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 12:46 AM

Yes I felt very similar and i rarely tandem fed my newborns

Then it became easier and from about 9m it was ok though rarely enjoyable

I got pg and though i continued to bf again I couldn't bear feeding both twins at once
#3 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 AM

I remember feeling similar but it was when they were a bit older (12+ months).  I almost always tandem nursed and did so until they were 2-1/2 years old so I got through it somehow.  I was usually OK for the first 10 minutes or so but then I remember getting this overwhelming feeling where I just wanted to push them off me.  It felt almost claustrophobic-like.  I felt very trapped because it is so hard to think about moving around much when you have babies/toddlers attached to your boobs wink1.gif.  But the trade off was that I did not need to be nursing for even longer periods of time which would have happened if I was to nurse them one at a time.  I didn't mind so much at night but I did find the daytime hours more difficult.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#4 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 01:57 PM

I HATE bf'ing. And tandem sucks too but it makes my life so much easier than one at a time. I get this scrunchy feeling in my abs when I bf. I ignore it and get on with the task but it definitely stimulates an odd sensation in my belly.

I was feeling all hostile at Mariah Carey because she delivered her twins yesterday via c-section and I imagined her bf'ing - throwing a diva fit and then hiring a wet nurse. I guess I'm jealous is all. What's with all of the celebs having twins?

Anyway - you're not alone on the tandem nursing. I'm the opposite, I only tandem during the day. DH likes to feed them at night. That's their special time together. Whatever. I get to snuggle down and go back to sleep.

#5 of 8 Old 05-01-2011, 11:12 PM

The overstim is too much for some women. It's ok. Do what you have to do :D

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif
#6 of 8 Old 05-02-2011, 01:41 PM

I just fed my guys one at a time, as I never could get the tandem thing down.  It's a good theing that they were my first born kiddos, because it seemed like I just b'fed babies ALL. DAY. LONG.

Mama to twins, my little guy, and
#7 of 8 Old 05-02-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABO Mama View Post

I just fed my guys one at a time, as I never could get the tandem thing down.  It's a good theing that they were my first born kiddos, because it seemed like I just b'fed babies ALL. DAY. LONG.

That's how I feel. I am literally feeding EVERY 2 HOURS!!! No joke. They must've had a growth spurt because now they scream when they're hungry. No more cute, newborn whimpering. Oh no, it's full out baby cries. It's very frustrating because I do tandem nurse and it takes a minute to get it together when I'm by myself. As soon as they latch on it's all quiet on the frontier but there is no way I would do this one by one. I would never leave my seat. LOL.

I'm nursing now BTW. The only time I get to hop online is when they nurse. The funny thing, last night I jumped on to read up on OBL while they were asleep and I started leaking! My body remembers. LOL.

My pregnancy days seem very far away.

#8 of 8 Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't enjoy it and I rarely do it. I enjoy the one-on-one time with each baby and it forces me to relax. I felt like I needed to do it because everyone said I did, but now I only do it if they're both inconsolable, which rarely happens.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page