Doing Alone - Parents of Multiples - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my 4th day as a single mom with twins and a teen. DH is on a surfari in Indonesia, won't be home for the next 8 days. Crazy right? Especially since he's missing our first Mother's Day as parents of multiples but his surfari was paid and planned for long before we knew we were preg.  

Anyway - I'm finding it's not as hard as I thought it would be. I actually found myself drawing determination from an inner strength that was no where to be found when DH was home. The house is a mess... but whatever. My housekeeper is only coming in twice a week now because I can't afford her new rates. She went up on her services due to gas being $4.25/gal here in SoCal. I wish I could let her go but she's been with our family since the 60s and I'm a horrible housekeeper. And DH is a clean freak. Even his hangers are color coordinated. Not me. LOL. He would bathe and dress the twins before he went to work. They skipped a bath yesterday... lmao.

Oh man. I'm talking to myself. I should start a blog and stop boring you guys making my threads all about me. :p

Take care!

#2 of 12 Old 05-06-2011, 05:49 PM

OMG I think I would need to kill my dh if he went on a safari that close to when our babies were born! You sound like you have a great attitude about it all though. It really doesn't matter if the babies go days without a bath or stay in jammies all day. I think you should mess up his hangers just as a payback. Try not to stress about it too much!

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#3 of 12 Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliesara63 View Post

OMG I think I would need to kill my dh if he went on a safari that close to when our babies were born! You sound like you have a great attitude about it all though. It really doesn't matter if the babies go days without a bath or stay in jammies all day. I think you should mess up his hangers just as a payback. Try not to stress about it too much!

LMAO! You're a great morale booster! So awesome... wink1.gif

He actually snuck in last night - a week early. I didn't mind so much that he was on a trip, I was just feeling "dumb" as Mother's Day approached. But he's home and he said he wouldn't miss Mother's Day with his 'babies mama' for the best waves in the world. This after he told me I looked like shhh.ROTFLMAO.gif No worries, I did look bad. I partied a lil too hard in Vegas on Friday night. I gotta get out more often...

~* Happy Mother's Day Moms *~

#4 of 12 Old 06-12-2011, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Im jealous you went to Vegas! Did you mess up his hangars? Idea was brilliant. LMAO

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#5 of 12 Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellkaren View Post

One thing though, parenting multiple kids and teens is not much different from parenting a single child. And herein lies the success of multiple children parenting. That is to treat each child individually and not in a group.  Dealing with a single child can be tough and in case of multiple children, tempers are more likely to fly. Be calm when your schedule does not go according to plan or the children throw tantrums. You should also be flexible to go along with the flow. Being patient, calm, and flexible will go a long way in successfully handling multiple children.

parenting advice

Um... thanks? Do you have multiples?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:

One thing though, parenting multiple kids and teens is not much different from parenting a single child. And herein lies the success of multiple children parenting. That is to treat each child individually and not in a group.  Dealing with a single child can be tough and in case of multiple children, tempers are more likely to fly. Be calm when your schedule does not go according to plan or the children throw tantrums. You should also be flexible to go along with the flow. Being patient, calm, and flexible will go a long way in successfully handling multiple children.

Umm, I beg to differ!  Alitwins.gif

#7 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

One thing though, parenting multiple kids and teens is not much different from parenting a single child. And herein lies the success of multiple children parenting.

Huh?  Parenting 3 kids is the same as parenting one? 

Glad you found success op.  My dp travels 5 days each week and is gone for 12 weeks once a year so I too was nervous when the twins were little and I was alone for long periodsof time.  You do what you have to do! 

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#8 of 12 Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:

parenting advice

Not only are you a spammer, but a bad one. Giving dumb advice like that definitely does not make me want to click your link/.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 12 Old 06-24-2011, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

Quote:

parenting advice

Not only are you a spammer, but a bad one. Giving dumb advice like that definitely does not make me want to click your link/.

Too funny!  I never even saw the link! 

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#10 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 11:30 AM

i just had to lol at your housekeeper ONLY coming twice a week now...of course im envious...mine ONLY comes once a week. :)

and partying in vegas? did your babies come too? ive been wanting to get to vegas for awhile but cant seem to figure out a good way to swing it with all these babies/kids...haha. do tell me your secrets.

also, i see in your sig that you're pregnant w/ multiples AGAIN? wowowowowowowowwwwwwwwwwwww.

becky.
mama to m (3/96), o (8/07), p (5/09) and our twins: r (2/14/11) and l (2/15/11) 

#11 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydodson View Post

i just had to lol at your housekeeper ONLY coming twice a week now...of course im envious...mine ONLY comes once a week. :)

and partying in vegas? did your babies come too? ive been wanting to get to vegas for awhile but cant seem to figure out a good way to swing it with all these babies/kids...haha. do tell me your secrets.

also, i see in your sig that you're pregnant w/ multiples AGAIN? wowowowowowowowwwwwwwwwwwww.

I contribute my "party girl" status to the fact that my niece was in college and didn't have time for a regular job so babysitting my twins for a couple of hours gave her grocery money. Sometimes she split the gig with her roommate and they loved it. That Vegas weekend though my mom and my daughter watched the kids at my mom's place. They ended up coming back early because my mom said the twins missed their own beds. Lol. Sure they did. I crawled thru the front door in the wee morning hours and my mom was quick to shower, hop in her car and head home. She'd had enough.

I haven't been out alone since. It's hard to burden people with 2 babies. I feel guilty. I remembered all the people that offered congrats and babysitter promises when I was pregnant but I noticed none of them are banging down my door to help when Nick and I want a night out. Our nights out consist of firing up the grill and eating dinner under the setting sun. Sometimes to shake things up a bit we'll pull out the waterguns and have a water fight. Maybe jump in the pool. We're easily entertained. ;)

Re: The Housekeeper - she's worked for my family for over 40 years. She still cleans for my parents full time and part time with me. I pay her in medical benefits. I added her to my employee group plan - it works out really good. I wish she'd come in more often, she has been a huge help to me with the twins. Lately my energy levels have run low and she's been coming in more often. I love her. She's like the quiet mother-in-law you wish for. And she makes a mean enchilada too! I hired my nephew's girlfriend to come in M-F, 8 to 2pm to help me with the kids as I struggle thru the 1st tri of this pregnancy. I'm just so tired all of the time. And she's in college too and had a difficult time finding work. Plus, I know her and she knows the kids - we've got a good system working. My husband was finishing our remodel and for the next 2 weeks he's signed up for coaching and teaching workshops. So I definitely need the extra hands.

#12 of 12 Old 07-02-2011, 02:56 PM

i can hardly imagine being pregnant again right now...especially with twins...sooooooo tired. i like your idea of fun, sounds a lot like ours here. we do get two date nights a week and i feel very lucky...though we pay a LOT for them, they are hugely worth it.

where in southern california do you live? im in the LA area...would be neat if we were neighbors! our twin girls are around the same age. :)

becky.
mama to m (3/96), o (8/07), p (5/09) and our twins: r (2/14/11) and l (2/15/11) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page