Middle name silliness - opinions please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my husband and I had no problem picking names for our twin boys that are due around the first of July but the middle names are causing some problems.

I thought it would be really neat to share my madien name with them (Jeffrey) and give them both the same middle name.  I do not plan on doing much as far recognizing their "twinness" (i.e. matching outfits, etc.) so this was a way I thought I could make light that they shared a womb.  Their names would be Barrett Jeffrey and Graham Jeffrey.  My other boys have middle names from our fathers, I never felt right using my madien name for just one of them so it seems to me that the oppurtunity has presented itself.

Problem is that when I told husband of my grand idea he tells me he hates it.  He thinks it is kind of silly to give them the same middle name and it will only cause confusion. 

My husband and I usually are really good at compromising but this is one time I really want to put my (swollen) foot down and get my way. 

Please let me hear your opinions on whether it is a good idea or not to give them the same middle name. 

#2 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 08:38 AM

I think it's cute and would totally do it. It's a middle name afterall. and I have two siblings and we all have the same middle name. It's never been an issue. Growing up people thought it was cute. At this point in my life it's irrelevant.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#3 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 AM

I love it, and I also know a couple of sibling sets who have the same middle names, and they aren't even twins. One woman I know has five daughters and they all have the same middle name, which is her middle name.

Sandy (41), Mama to Oscar (Feb 2009) and Aria (April 2012), infertility and miscarriage survivor brokenheart.gif 11/25/10 and brokenheart.gif 6/22/11.

#4 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 08:45 AM

I think it's fine.  If it was some random boy's name that you like, I wouldn't do it.  But since it's your maiden name, I think it's a good idea.  

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
#5 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM

As a maiden name, I think it's fine to do: it underlines the family connections as well as that between the twins.  On the other hand, if he doesn't budge, perhaps there's some associated name you could use - something with a clear link, without being identical?

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#6 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Why not use another family surname for one of them? I'm not sure I like the matchiness of them both having Jeffery and it may make your other kids feel left out of something.
#7 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input ladies.  I don't think I will use it for just one, I kinda feel like it is both or none.  I just wanted to check and make sure I was not being crazy horomonally stubburn!

#8 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 PM

I think it's fine.  And I like the sound of it, to boot!  It's a common thing to give the middle name of the mom's maiden name if you aren't doing the hyphenated double last name thing.  I don't see why he would be bothered by it... after all, they both get his last name! winky.gif

Mama to twin girls Adele and Nadia, born 5/2008
#9 of 17 Old 05-07-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Husband caved!!  I explained again that it really did mean something special to me and he was okay with it.  I don't think he loves it but he does not feel strongly enought to fight me.  That and tomorrow is Mother's Day. 

Thanks for all the opinions!

#10 of 17 Old 05-07-2011, 09:47 PM

Hooray!  My children (twins) and my sister's children (not twins) all have our parent's last name as a middle name, though I didn't change my name and she did.  The children (6, 6, 6, and 3) think it's neat that they all have the same middle name (or they don't realize it could be any other way). 

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#11 of 17 Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 AM

We gave our boys the same second middle name so their names are Judah Moses Niizho'ode and Jax Dugan Niizho'ode, my husband is native american and Niizho'ode is the equivelent of twin is his tribes language.

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#12 of 17 Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 AM

I rather wanted middle names meaning twin for our two, but couldn't find a girl's name that meant that meant twin and seemed to go with our daughter's chosen first name (Oliver Thomas would have been fine, but, for Lydia, the best choices were to follow it with Linnea or Tamsin, neither of which matches up well.)  So we went with different family names...

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#13 of 17 Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 AM

Star8kitten, congratulations on reaching an agreement with your husband!

#14 of 17 Old 05-10-2011, 12:50 PM

I think it's a really cool idea!

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#15 of 17 Old 05-19-2011, 03:14 PM

Awesome that you convinced him!  I think thats a really cute idea.  I'm not much into the cutesy matching twin everything (rhyming names, matching outfits, etc), but I think thats really cool.  My husband and I both have J first names, and all three of our kids have J middle names.

Jolene, RN; Proud Mommy to Dylan (09/27/05), Bryce and Kaia (12/02/09)
#16 of 17 Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 PM

We did the same thing, in fact all three of our children have my last name as their middle name.  Two sisters whom I know from growing up have the same middle name, and I always liked it.  Also - my husband and I had quite a difficult time coming up with the first names.

#17 of 17 Old 07-01-2011, 05:25 PM

Forum crashing here, but all it turns all of the male grandchildren in our family share the same name. My oldest chose it as the name for her son because she liked it. My 2nd sister chose it as a middle name for her son to honor the paternal grandfather. My brother chose it as a name to honor someone in his wife's family. We chose it to honor a cousin of my husband's who died as a child. So oddly, they all have the same name (3 of them have it as a middle name), but for very different reasons. It's kind of cool, and not weird at all.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page