Wearing two babies at once? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am curious if other twin mamas wear both at once.  I love wearing a baby, it calms them, lets me get some things done and for me, is a much easier way to get around than lugging the carseats everywhere.  My husband is not a huge fan of wearing the babies at all.  I would like to wear both but I'm not sure if it would really work - getting one on in the front and the other in the back seems very complicated and impossible to do on my own, and with the combined weight of both I'm not sure if it would even be comfortable.

Does anyone else wear both babies at once?  Which types of carriers/slings do you use?

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#2 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 10:18 AM

Sophia and Grace do not like being swaddled or carried in a sling. They like to look out and people watch. I tend to carry them face forward with my arm supporting their torso and my hand holding them up by their bottoms. I can only do one at a time but it enables me to do everything else with the free hand.

I am amazed at the crap I can pull off with one hand. I can change a diaper, completely assemble a bottle and redress one of the twins if necessary. I am having so much fun with them. They keep me young.

Happy Cinco de Mayo Mamalovex3!

#3 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 AM

I am hoping to try something like this:  slingtwin.gif but would be glad to hear from those who have successfully done so!

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#4 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 AM

Unlike on both sides, wearing little ones front and back seems to me difficult, worrying, and of somewhat less utility.  - But that's just from considering it, rather than any experience.

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#5 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 12:13 PM

We wore our babies when newborn with a structured wrap (storch) front carry.  Kind of one to each side where you would normally just wear one baby in the pocket part that's formed inthe fold.  They liked being smooshed together.  This did not last long however as the babies liked being smooshed less and less and even my husband's back got sore carrying them.  Now I usually just wear one baby at a time on my back. (they're about 10 months).  I'm wearing someone pretty much all day.  Also with the toddler, I can only get places if I wear one baby and put the other two in a stroller.  I might try one front/back (it's possible but awkward for emergency nursing/changing etc) if I was going on the bus to avoid stroller use.  Good Luck!

slingtwin.gifMontessori teacher working part time and trying to keep up with the kiddos. blowkiss.gif DD1 (June 08)ROTFLMAO.gif DS1 (June 10)love.gif DD2 (June 10)

#6 of 8 Old 05-05-2011, 06:05 PM

I would wear two in pouch slings (one over each shoulder) to calm them to sleep sometimes, but that was heavy and awkward for me. When they were really little, I managed one on my back in a Mei Tai and the two pouch slings.

It was much easier for me to wear one in a Beco on my back and one in a Mei Tai on my front.  I loved that arrangement.  And, I had a hand free to carry the third on my hip.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#7 of 8 Old 05-06-2011, 12:54 AM

Mine are still new and small (6wks). but I've been having great success wearing them together in my Maya ring sling. I put them both next to each other in an upright carry facing me. They love it. I'm guessing they're going to be too big in a few weeks, though. I'm going to try to get my hands on another ring sling to cross-carry and am crossing my fingers that that will work, tho it seems like it might get kind of restrictive in terms of how much fabric is on my front (I'm pretty small framed). I'm also not comfortable carrying such a tiny one on my back. I met a twin mom the other day who was using a beco-type to front carry one and then just carrying the other on her hip. Hers were 10ish months old. 

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#8 of 8 Old 05-06-2011, 02:45 PM

Absolutely! 

When they were tiny = both in the Moby (a woven wrap probably would have been better for less sagging, but whatevs). See here: 

http://cdn.mothering.com/d/db/dbabd2d5_feda2b92.jpg

When they got bigger = Mommy Sandwich, front and back. I really love two Beco Geminis. My pic is of a Babyhawk and a Beco Butterfly II that I was trying on:

http://cdn.mothering.com/8/85/858cdfbb_91716263.jpg

Front and back is by far my favorite. 

Double ring slings didn't work out for me. Their heads kept hitting the rings. Plus it's harder on the shoulders. Two Geminis is divine.

Mama to twin boys born at 30 weeks. 5/21/10. 
nursex2.giffamilybed2.gifslingtwin.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifintactlact.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page