Am I crazy to think of making do with a single stroller? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're expecting twins in October. After reading all the awesome reviews about/recommendations for a Valco double stroller in another thread, I thought my mind was made up. But I just don't know if I can justify spending $600-700 on a stroller!

We researched the heck out of the two single strollers we bought for DS (Bob revolution and Maclaren umbrella) and LOVE them. But we live in a small town and rarely used either of his strollers. We  used the Maclaren the most and that was for airplane trips to/from family a couple times a year and Disneyland once.

I have a great sling, a Moby wrap and a Beco carrier which I loved with DS, plus a Baby Bjorn (which DH preferred). So, am I crazy to think of making do with a single stroller? It seems like we could just trade off wearing one and having one in a stroller. And, once they're old enough for the Maclaren (it doesn't recline at all) we would technically have 2 strollers to use.

I also figure if we just waited and lived with what we have, it would become pretty obvious whether we really needed a double stroller or not.

What do you think?

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

#2 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

i don't think you are crazy at all that makes perfect sense to me and if i didn't have a toddler too I would do it.

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#3 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 05:23 PM

I use my tandem a lot more than I ever had with my singletons.  Two babies are just hard to maneuver in and out of the car, into stores and school and such.  I used to just use a convertible car seat and put my newborns in the sling to and from, but I can't see how that would even be possible with my twins plus my toddler who still needs help getting in and buckled.  So we bought two bucket seats that I carry to and from the house, then whenever we arrive, the seats go into the stroller.  We bought a Kolcraft contours about 3 years ago when #6 arrived (about $200 at Walmart.com now, but I didn't pay that much then).  It is really nice, because both seats can be turned either forward or back, easily reclined, and comes with a car seat attachment.  We bought a second attachment for the twins.  My nearly 3-year old decided it can be a triple stroller, she just rides in the basket.  There is a support bar right underneath the basket under space between the two seats, with just enough head room for her.  It's pretty funny.  It weighs quite a bit, but so do two babies, and it is probably the most solidly built tandem we've owned, and we've had quite a few of the economy models.  

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#4 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 09:07 PM

Our twins are 8 weeks now and heavy! I was using a no-name swapmeet stroller for the both of them and that lasted until about 6 weeks. Now they roll into each other and try to grab and I'm afraid there just isn't enough room in the single stroller. We have a Leebruss side-by-side pram that is terribly cumbersome when you're in a rush but it rides/pushes like a dream.

Sophia and Grace use convertible carseats that STAY in my car. My system for travelling is to:

• Unbuckle both carseat harnesses
  • Remove driver's side baby first, carry her in my right arm as if I'm burping her on my shoulder (I'm left handed)
  • Get passenger side baby last, carrying her in my stronger, left arm
  • Push the doors closed with my butt.

With one baby on my shoulder and the other in the crook of my arm, it leaves my right hand free to grab whatever and turn the doorknob to enter the house. I have yet to struggle in the rain and I'm not anxious to find out. With gas prices so high I really plan out my trips. I know ahead of time if I'm dropping by a market where I will use my pram and shove the groceries in the pram basket. Or if I'm going somewhere like Walmart with big, spacious shopping carts that accommodate 2 infant carriers. It's tough to be mobile with twins. My purse is their diaper bag. I never could manage the clumsy diaper bags with all the mini compartments. Everything gets thrown in my purse, each item in it's own Ziploc or lingerie bag. We're in and out of the car at least 6 times per day - I had to get a system down or concede defeat. Well not really... it was that or leave my Teen at the high school.

We totally need a more practical stroller but I'm not in a position to buy anything else right now. I actually need to minimize, I don't like a lot of gadgets and gizmos cluttering up the place. I'm a minimalist.

Here's my practical baby gear guide (what we use day-to-day, likely to change as they get older):

1. Moses baskets - I LOVE these sleepers. I got them as gifts, filled with baby stuff. My twins use them 60% of the time they're sleeping. You can't carry them around by the handles with the babies inside but they don't tip over and can sit on any flat surface during the newborn stage. My Moses baskets are never far from me. They can also be used as toy and laundry baskets later. Very inexpensive too!
  2. Graco playpen with newborn bassinet SLEEPER - Not the usual pack n' play with bassinet on top! My girls seemed to roll towards each other and it didn't seem safe as soon as they were over 7 lbs each. I have 2 Graco playpens with newborn sleeper attachments, it's the best. Graco has wheels on the playpen for mobility and the sleeper is located on top with a changing table type thing. Very handy when I need the girls to be in plain sight of me, like when I'm cleaning or running around the house. Their playpens stay downstairs, go into the closet when company comes. We eat dinner out on the patio at least 5 nights a week and I love how I can just roll them outside with us.Playpen Great invention - now they have a twin playpen! :) Playpen
  3. Bassinets - any kind! Their bassinets stay in our room. We tried the Co-sleeper but I hated the twisting and turning. And it's just too much work to run and get them from their cribs when I'm nursing as often as I am. I keep the bassinets upstairs in our bedroom. We have the ones that vibrate and play soft music.
  4. EZ-2-Nurse pillow - I tandem nurse and this has been a life saver. It's sturdy and comfortable for all of us. It also places them at a right angle so I can freely move my arms. I bought 2 of them so I don't have to drag one up and down the stairs.
  5. Bouncers - I only use these when I'm cooking. I place them on the island and can cook and interact with them without fear of them tipping over or slipping out. I will be passing my bouncers on to another baby/family when they outgrow them.
  6. Boppys - I use these to prop them up on the couch beside us. I know it also helped them strengthen their neck muscles. Boppys are also good for keeping older infants in one place while you do stuff.

I gave away our Cocoon hammock sleeper because my cat liked to jump in when one of the babies was in there. 

I'm not big on the baby swing either. My girls aren't colicky (fingers crossed) and they like to be front and center so they're always within arm's reach. I'm not saying that's what swings are for but for our family, the swing hasn't been very useful.

Their Graco infant carseats (travel system) hasn't been much help to us either. My girls do not like to be covered up by the canopy which is why I have the convertible carseats. My life would be soooooooo much easier if they were able to use the infant carriers but - I can't change that.

One more thing: I learned that it's best to bathe one baby at a time, even if me and DH are available. Two slippery babies is such a no-no. I learned the hard way. So even though we have 2 bathtubs, we only need one. Same with cribs. We have one crib and they will share beds until the toddler age. I did have to go out and buy another sterilizer because bottles stack up! And around 5 months of our pregnancy, I started a routine of buying a pack of diapers every, single time go to the store. Even if it's a small pack of diapers, it's worked out really well.

#5 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

I use my tandem a lot more than I ever had with my singletons.  Two babies are just hard to maneuver in and out of the car, into stores and school and such.  I used to just use a convertible car seat and put my newborns in the sling to and from, but I can't see how that would even be possible with my twins plus my toddler who still needs help getting in and buckled.  So we bought two bucket seats that I carry to and from the house, then whenever we arrive, the seats go into the stroller.  We bought a Kolcraft contours about 3 years ago when #6 arrived (about $200 at Walmart.com now, but I didn't pay that much then).  It is really nice, because both seats can be turned either forward or back, easily reclined, and comes with a car seat attachment.  We bought a second attachment for the twins.  My nearly 3-year old decided it can be a triple stroller, she just rides in the basket.  There is a support bar right underneath the basket under space between the two seats, with just enough head room for her.  It's pretty funny.  It weighs quite a bit, but so do two babies, and it is probably the most solidly built tandem we've owned, and we've had quite a few of the economy models.  

That's a really good point about the logistics of going anywhere. I haven't really thought ahead to something like grocery shopping by myself and the 3 kids. Hmmmm, now I'm rethinking again! So the Kolcraft can fit 2 infant carriers if you buy an extra attachment?

That's great, practical info, Smurfette2! Some things I wouldn't have thought of. I had a double pack-n-play on our registry but I'll probably take it off...lots of the reviews mentioned the babies tending to roll towards each other too. Not worth it I guess.

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

#6 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 09:10 AM

Just another voice to encouraging a double stroller -- especially with an older child plus twins. We sometimes found our 3 yo would even climb in if he had been walking a lot -- we had the MBUD and it was awesome. I used the stroller a lot more and a lot longer with twins than I ever did with my singleton. And when I was taking all three out...  well, we wouldn't have gotten out nearly as much as we did without it. There are plenty of places to cut back, but having a strong, good, sturdy stroller (plus slings and other carriers) is one of the essentials with twins. For me, it ranks up there with the EZ2Nurse pillow :)

Congrats on your babes!

#7 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 10:24 AM

There were times where I would wear one baby and use a single stroller just for the fun of it and knowing that I was going someplace and doing something where I could do it easily.  But I also can't imagine not using a double stroller when we needed to.  Especially, when they are very young.  If the baby in the stroller starts crying and you need to switch babies around it would be very difficult if you didn't have another set of hands or someplace to put a baby down.  Once mine were toddlers they started wanting to do everything the same so I can't imagine having to convince one that they needed to go in the stroller while I wore the other one or vice versa.  I also agree that because I have older dc's I tend to use the stroller a lot more and for longer than I did with my singleton babies.  My twins will be 3 next month and I still use the stroller sometimes to get the older kids to the bus stop on time.  If I didn't a 5 minute walk would take 20 minutes.  

Also, keep in mind that a decent double stroller will hold it's value and you might be able to sell it for a decent price once you are done with it.   

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#8 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Yes, the Kolcraft attachment is just under $25.  I ordered mine from Amazon.  I don't know the ages of your other kids, but it is also really easy to use a seat for a toddler (up to 40lbs, I think) and an infant, and sling the second twin.  Good to have options. ;)

Smurfette, I have Graco infant seats also, and the canopies detach really easily.  Basically, just pull them off where they join the handle.  ETA: My girls are just a couple weeks older than yours and it is getting increasingly hard to pick them up one handed! greensad.gif

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#9 of 13 Old 05-13-2011, 09:59 AM

Two things -

1.  We have a Kolcraft Contours and I love it because it is versatile.  It is easy to open and close, and fits easily in the back of our van.  It can take two infant carseats (the attachment was $20), and switches easily to the two stroller seats.  We like to use the carseats when we're running errands or things like that but then can use the stroller seats  when we're out walking or at soccer practice or whatever.  The stroller seats can face both forward, both backward, middle, or out.  And it was the least expensive of all the strollers we were interested in. 

2.  Sometimes I hate taking the double stroller out!  I have one baby who often does not enjoy the stroller and would much rather go in the beco or the moby, so I end up carrying one and pushing the double stroller - which, really, is not a big deal other than the fact that I am pushing around a small bus when a single stroller would do. 

So, I think that the double stroller is probably worth it for when you will use it, because things like switching who is in a carrier are very difficult without a place to put the 2nd baby, but hang on to your single strollers cause they'll still be very handy :)

Married to my love love.gif since 08/12/10, mama to E REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif04/06/01 and twin girls M and Z slingtwin.gif 01/08/11

We are a  slingtwin.gif  familybed2.gif cd.gif   nursex2.gif family!  Expecting #4 and #5 in September - what a surprise!

#10 of 13 Old 05-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Re: Graco infant carriers - it's waaaaaay too sunny here in SoCal to take the canopies off, they need some kind of protection. My girls don't like being closed in. They don't like being swaddled and they don't like the canopy drawn over them. They're weird. LOL. How is it both of them don't like it? I have no idea... :)

We just use the Cadillac pram when we need to. I've gotten so used to lugging that heavy thing around that I accidently flung our single stroller across the parking lot when I was putting it in our trunk. Oops, it just flew right out of my hands.

Last night we had to go to rehearsal dinner and my cousin was gracious enough to inform me that the location had rough terrain (wine country) and although my girls were welcomed, she didn't think a stroller could handle the hills. Our Cadillac pram did fine. The big ole wheels rolled right over the uneven road and through the soft dirt.

This is our Cadillac pram, the Leebruss. It's terribly heavy but it's such an easy push and a pleasant ride for my kids. The stroller came with the carrycots (bassinets) and stroller seats as well as travel aprons - not bad for the price and it'll take the kids until their 5-6 birthdays. The seats can be turned around later on. The best thing about it, DH is over 6 feet tall and the handlebar can be adjusted to fit him comfortably so he's not hunched over pushing it around. I love that! :) So far the stroller fits into all of the doorways at the stores we frequent. The only CON I have about the Leebruss is that in order to fold it up you have to remove the carrycots one by one. They're not light either! So the take down is like a 6 step process - which I'd hate to do in the rain. I thought the white would get dirty but it's a wipeoff fabric.

Leebruss Twin Pram

#11 of 13 Old 05-13-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, I'm so confused! I keep changing my mind. I think part of the problem is I just cannot comprehend what it will really be like to take out 2 babies plus DS, who will be 4 1/2 when they're born. Every time I go out now I try and imagine what I would do...what type of stroller would be best (rugged or lightweight), or combination of wrap/stroller. And I'm beginning to see how we will use a stroller much more with 2 than with just DS. It just seems impossible lol!! But obviously it IS possible and DH and I will just need to get over the learning curve once they actually arrive.

I saw the Bumble Indie ride in person today and was very impressed (although it's definitely on the higher $$ end). The Kolcraft hasn't been at either of the stores I've looked at so far. And we were planning on selling our Bob and Maclaren single strollers to help pay for the double, but now I can see where still having a single stroller would be very handy at times. It's so much more complicated having 2 at once! lol

#12 of 13 Old 05-13-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstandlee View Post

Ugh, I'm so confused! I keep changing my mind. I think part of the problem is I just cannot comprehend what it will really be like to take out 2 babies plus DS, who will be 4 1/2 when they're born. Every time I go out now I try and imagine what I would do...what type of stroller would be best (rugged or lightweight), or combination of wrap/stroller. And I'm beginning to see how we will use a stroller much more with 2 than with just DS. It just seems impossible lol!! But obviously it IS possible and DH and I will just need to get over the learning curve once they actually arrive.

I saw the Bumble Indie ride in person today and was very impressed (although it's definitely on the higher $$ end). The Kolcraft hasn't been at either of the stores I've looked at so far. And we were planning on selling our Bob and Maclaren single strollers to help pay for the double, but now I can see where still having a single stroller would be very handy at times. It's so much more complicated having 2 at once! lol

Realistically, there are no "easy" lightweight double/triple strollers. Everything is MUCH more of a challenge with twins. My DD is actually very helpful but that's only because she's 11 years older than your DS. When I go out - and I go out a lot - I use my Cadillac. It's a hassle but again, I've gotten used to it.

I wish someone would have just told me flat out that having twins is all about planning. All day long, I'm planning. And I'm always 3-4 hours ahead of myself. It's stressful. My mom commented how tired and pale I look but that's because I've learned to live on 5 hours of sleep. In the first days at home, you'll have to find your rhythm.

In the mornings I walk with a mom with 3 y/o trips and another mom with 2 y/o twins and a 4 y/o son. The little boy never wants to ride in the stroller. He always runs ahead picking up leaves and sticks. 

You can get along with a single stroller for a little while but you'll find yourself wanting a double after long. Your son probably won't want to ride "with the babies" at his age anyway. After age 4, my daughter was in a cheapy umbrella stroller or walking. As far as the wrap goes, what if you have a Sofigra (my twins) that hate being swaddled up? *shrug*

Don't stress - you'll find the right stroller. And the best place to try out double strollers is Babies R Us. Target and Walmart don't always have the doubles in stock.

#13 of 13 Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 PM

Not sure this is helpful, but I have triplets (now 17mo) and I have used a double stroller primarily. Triplet strollers are very cumbersome and just added more than I wanted to handle. We settled on a Phil & Ted double stroller which I love, love, love, Basically I am always wearing a babe (first front, now back). My older DD was 6 when the trips were born and never was a stroller sitter so it wasn't a concern for me (I can see how it would be for you). Just wanted to share my experience.

Tags
Valco Baby , Bob Gear Strollers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page