Solo mum wanting to night wean 23month old twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I am a solo Mum and co sleep with my 23 month old twins. They still BF frequently during the night. My son will drink some water but usually demands a bf as well, he usually drinks and then rolls away and goes to sleep. My daughter rarely accepts any water at night. She bf heaps and loves to sleep on the boob. She always wakes if i try to disengage her (Pantly technique hasn't worked with her). She often wakes if i am feeding her brother and demands to BF as well. I would like to night wean them but I have know idea how to do it. If either of them wakes and I don't let them BF (pretend I am a sleep, boobs covered, cuddle, pat them etc) they cry and wake the other one up.
I would also like to move them into their own room but I would like to make these transitions gently and trauma free if possible. I do not have anyone who can stay over to assist with this transition.
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thank you
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow Jay - single mom with twins. I did that for about a week, it was tough.

I don't know much about weaning 2 y/o's. Maybe you'll have to let them cry just a little bit in the beginning until they realize that they are safe and full. Sleep with them in their bed for a few days and then sneak out.

And I would suggest BF'ing them anywhere BUT the bed so that they don't fall asleep. It seems like they associate BF'ing with comfort and fall asleep easily. Switch it up a little and BF on the couch and then take them to bed. That's what I did with my TeenBaby 13 years ago. I wasn't still BF'ing her - but just getting her out of my bed took some consistency and about a week of firm parenting. She'd wake up crying because she wasn't in my bed and I'd go back to her room - lie down in her bed and get her back to sleep. She got the hint after about a week.

Good luck Jay! :)

User Tag List