Speaking of Baby Positions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My OB practice is very pro-vaginal birth for twins. The OB that I picked to see for the rest of my appts prefers his twins to be vertex and breech...he insists it's the easiest (for him) way to deliver. Once the vertex baby is out he pulls the breech baby out by the feet, no flipping.

Anyone have any comments about this? I really can't wrap my head around the idea of a breech baby being taken out in the breech position. My OB is very confident in the procedure and makes me feel comfortable, but I'm starting to get panicky about the actual delivery. I would hate to go vaginal with one to have the second need a c-section.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 AM

I have a midwife and an OB and at our last appointment the OB mention the same exact thing and my midwife agreed with him.  they said that those positions (vertix/breach) make it less likely that baby A will get hung up on baby B on teh way out and that they can grab the feet of baby B and pull them out.  If baby B is vertex all they have is a head and they can't grab that and stop the baby from turning transverse. 

My twins just recently both turned head down but I was okay with baby B being breech.  Breech delivery of singletons was very common and is becoming a lost art.  You are lucky that your OB feels comfortable doing them still! 

Old 05-18-2011, 09:43 AM

I have never heard any medical person claim that, but for me baby A was vertex and baby B was breech.  B was an amazingly easy delivery, and no one ever seemed concerned. 

Well, not exactly no one.  I did HB, so the midwives seemed fine.  My original OB had explained that a scheduled c-section was better than the risk of one vaginal and an emergency c/s for baby B breech.  I am so glad I ran from that group of doctors.  It would have been a shame to be required have a c/s for my baby B when it turned out that the delivery was so easy.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 AM

my ob was totally fine with delivering a breach baby B as well as long as he was not more than 15% larger than A for all the same reasons that have been mentioned, if he was larger they said they would want to flip him vertex or section if they could not. 

but he did prefer a Vertex/ Vertex set up and that is what we got. they were very fussy with my in the few minutes after A came out and before B engaged, and calmed down a lot once B's head was fully engaged in my birthing canal, cord prolapse is the worry

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 05-20-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

thank you all for your responses!

User Tag List