Unpleasant Side Effects of Weaning and Return of AF - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-29-2011, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My twins are 16 months. One twin weaned at about 13 months, and the other twin weaned at about 14 months. Period returned around 12 or 13 months and has been EXTREMELY HEAVY - heavier than I have ever experienced before in my life. What could this be attributed to? Could it be because the uterus was stretched so far during the twin pregnancy? Could it be because I had a C-section? Will it return to normal? I have two other children besides the twins (but no prior C-sections) and have never experienced this before.

I have also been experiencing night sweats again after weaning - I also experience them with each birth for a few weeks after the birth, but now they are back again??? Also having headaches before/during period, PMS symptoms, and ACNE - not just immediately before period, but constant. While pregnant and breastfeeding, my skin was so much clearer! When my period returned, everything seems to have gone downhill in the skin department. I have noticed it's oilier, too. Blah!

Finally, I'm also experiencing weight gain! About 5-10 lbs. since weaning. I have never experienced weight gain while weaning before. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there anything that I can do to regulate my hormones?

I feel like my body is still affected by the twin pregnancy and birth 2 years after first becoming pregnant!

Cross-posted in Breastfeeding.

#2 of 7 Old 05-29-2011, 05:26 AM

So sorry mama. Sounds like no fun. We haven't weaned yet (my girls are 20 months) but AF arrived at 16 months pp. I also had a c section. Flow isn't any heavier, but I do get headaches, cramps, night sweats, and general "icky feeling" in the midsection, and oh, the zits! It's like I'm a teenager. Here's hoping it doesn't get any worse after weaning.

Lucky SAHM to wonderful twin girls (9/09)
#3 of 7 Old 05-29-2011, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by little birds View Post

So sorry mama. Sounds like no fun. We haven't weaned yet (my girls are 20 months) but AF arrived at 16 months pp. I also had a c section. Flow isn't any heavier, but I do get headaches, cramps, night sweats, and general "icky feeling" in the midsection, and oh, the zits! It's like I'm a teenager. Here's hoping it doesn't get any worse after weaning.

Sorry that you are having similar symptoms! Maybe more of this can be attributed to return of AF than to weaning....I do suspect that the weight gain is due to weaning, though. I think I'll just have to watch my diet more closely and try to exercise. When I was nursing the twins, I could basically eat what I wanted whenever I wanted! Obviously, now that I'm burning significantly less calories, I'll have to watch that more....but never had to adjust diet before when the singletons weaned.

#4 of 7 Old 05-30-2011, 11:29 AM

I had it. No c-sec, but back-to-back pregnancies and the last was twins. Irregular, heavy periods with nasty PMS, and weight gain. I lived with it for a year+ and it didn't get better for me.

I'm on the pill to control it and it is working well. I dropped 20 lbs with a sensible diet and exercise, but only AFTER I went on the pill. I think my hormones were crazy. In a year or so, I might try going off the pill and trying some natural hormone balancing if everything is still crazy. I just don't have the mental energy to think about it right now.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#5 of 7 Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post

I had it. No c-sec, but back-to-back pregnancies and the last was twins. Irregular, heavy periods with nasty PMS, and weight gain. I lived with it for a year+ and it didn't get better for me.

I'm on the pill to control it and it is working well. I dropped 20 lbs with a sensible diet and exercise, but only AFTER I went on the pill. I think my hormones were crazy. In a year or so, I might try going off the pill and trying some natural hormone balancing if everything is still crazy. I just don't have the mental energy to think about it right now.

MamaChicken,

I was also researching BCP to see if that would be any help. I also think my hormones are just crazy, but a twin pregnancy, birth, bfing twins, and weaning twins probably makes for an interesting mix of hormones overall. Did things get crazier for you after weaning? Waiting to see if this cycle is any better.  

#6 of 7 Old 05-31-2011, 05:45 AM

I started AF and they weaned within 2-3 months of each other when they were around 15 months. I was still so sleep deprived that I wish I could remember, but everything is fuzzy from that time period. smile.gif

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#7 of 7 Old 05-31-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

MamaChicken,

I hear you. Curious to see whether you think it is any particular BCP that is working to regulate your hormones - or just the BCP in general.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page