How long did you wait to TTC after multiples? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we are going for at least three years, but I was curious...if you have kids younger than your twins ( triplets, etc), what is their age difference? How did the spacing work out for your family?

Lucky SAHM to wonderful twin girls (9/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Well my twins are only  7 months old.   I also have a three year old.  I would love one more kiddo, but not at this time...down the road.   I think we will probably wait until the twins are 3-4 before TTC. (that is if i hubby agrees - he says he's happy to be done and i have a shot of convincing him to try one more time..haha!)

Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM

i think the only way i would ever feel ready for another pregnancy/baby(ies?) would be if we waited at least two years. i'd want to have the twins in their own beds with their two year molars before bringing a newb into our home...the chances are very slim that we'd ttc again, however...but hubs did fire off a 'i'd like another boy' comment last night...but then later when i asked him about it, he quickly said we are done! 

until he gets his V, we're in the running.

heck, we could even end up w/ twin boys!

becky.
mama to m (3/96), o (8/07), p (5/09) and our twins: r (2/14/11) and l (2/15/11) 

Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 PM

Little sister was born a little more than three months before the boys turned three. For us, it is perfect spacing.  We've had very little sibling rivalry, they play well together, and the boys really don't remember a time without her.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 PM

Oh man, after reading your replies, I feel like the Whore of Babylon.

I have a 15 year old, three month old twins and Baby #4 on the way. The docs say I'm 5 wks and I'll roll with that but technically speaking I'm only 27 days pregnant. Which means I got knocked up 8 weeks after giving birth. I don't know how I'm going to deal with it. I plan to take it one day at a time and be my regular self. It's stressful enough that I'm going to be a mother of four. And I totally feel guilty. I relied heavily on breastfeeding as my contraception. My bad. I practiced safe sex for 14 years with no blips on the radar - I get married and suddenly I'm barefoot and pregnant 24/7. Go figure.

We're done by the way. DH was snipped a few weeks ago.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 AM

I got pregnant when my twins were 2, so they're 2 years, 9 months apart.  It was a bit crazy in the beginning, but the kids are close enough in age that they all play together now.  I remember when my youngest was a newborn, though, I wished there was a bit more space between them.  But now, it's great.

SAHM to F & P, : fraternal twins born 3/05, : I, born 12/07 & at 5 weeks in July 2009
Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 AM

I've been pondering this a lot, it's good to hear what other folks experienced. We are still contemplating weither we want more and if so, what would be good spacing. On the other hand it took so long to get my twins (29 cycles ttc) that the delusion that I can choose the timing is not one I have anymore.

Part of me wants them as close as I can get ( get diapers over with, have em play together) part of me wants them 5 years apart( own identity in school and friends), I'm way to old for the later, so who knows. I think if I went for another one, I would want two so that we didn't have one child that felt a 3rd wheel with the twins teamed up.

What do you folks think of twins and child dynamics like a third wheel? I wonder if age separation can make that better or worse?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The boys were 18 months old when I found out I was stunned to find out I was pregnant. The boys were just weaning and I never actually realized I'd got my fertility back. She also started off as a twin pregnancy, so if her twin would have made it we would have had two sets of twins 27 months apart. Then we would have been done :-) Now she is 18 months old and it has been wonderful. Because the boys were so young and already used to sharing me it was an easier transition to three. They were interested in her and wanted to hold her and paly with her. We did a lot of talking around my due date about the baby and what the baby would do, etc. Now that she is 18 months old, I'm ready for another one and so does DH, but due to financial reasons he is a little hesitant. (I haven't been able to find work since coming off my maternity leave). I'm 37, so we don't have so much time to wait but I'd love a fourth. It takes me a while to conceive so even once we decide, it may not happen right away. DH wanted six, I said the only way he was getting six was if we had triplets next time out LOL. We'll see what happens, but I think we will decide to have another one soon. DH is getting a little clucky :-)

: wife to James, MoM to R babyboy.gif and D babyboy.gif  (Aug 2007) and E babygirl.gif (Nov 2009) and Y babyboy.gif (April 2012)

Old 06-23-2011, 08:01 PM

I'm bumping an subbing to this thread, because we're trying to decide this now.  My twins are 7mo, and I'm seriously considering TTC in September.  They'll be 10mo.  So at the earliest, when new baby arrives, the oldest would be 4, the twins 19mo.  I didn't birth the twins (my DP did) so I don't have to worry about my body recovering from a twin pregnancy.  Also breastfeeding didn't work out and they are good sleepers, so both of those are in my favor for another babe soon.  I'd really like them close in age, and some work considerations for DP make sooner  seem better....   I dunno yet.  I'm trying to decide if I need my head examined. 

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
Old 06-23-2011, 08:24 PM

I am so interested to see this thread. I have a 5 3/4 year old and 3 3/4 year old twins and I am really getting broody. I always wanted four, but after the twins I kind of put that on hold for a while! But now I feel ready to go for one more. They are just getting independent enough that I am not completely on the go all day with them.

BUT I am seriously worried about conceiving twins again - I noticed a previous poster mentioned she had conceived twins although the pregnancy ended up a singleton. How likely is another set of twins to happen? We are pretty sure ours are fraternal, which I understand increases the risk. I am only 31 though so at least not in the 'older mother' risk category (yet!). I love all my girls of course but not sure I could handle 5! Does anyone have any experience in this?

To the poster who asked about a '3rd wheel', I really think it depends on the dynamics of the individual family. My older daughter LOVES being big sister and bossing around the little ones. But my cousin-in-law had two kids and then twins, and while the oldest was also 'big sister' the middle boy felt a bit left out and elbowed out of his role as the 'baby'. I think they are fine but you can never predict how kids are going to get on, whatever the spacing / numbers.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 PM

Ok I just read the post a few threads down about someone having twins THEN triplets and I am having serious second thoughts...

Old 06-24-2011, 01:38 PM

We're expecting our 2nd set of twins in February 2012. Complete surprise both the pregnancy and the multiples.

Most of our journey is logged at OneWed where I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be a mother of five. :)

I'll update more later. I'm 8 weeks now btw.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:33 PM

I got pregnant when the boys were 2 years and 4 moth. Our little daughter is born 3 years and 3 weeks after the boys.

This is quite good for us, but sometimes I wish they weren't that much apart.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryan View Post

I got pregnant when the boys were 2 years and 4 moth. Our little daughter is born 3 years and 3 weeks after the boys.

This is quite good for us, but sometimes I wish they weren't that much apart.

I'm kinda used to the idea now but 4 kids under the age of one is COMPLETELY overwhelming to me at times. I can't even imagine our stroller configuration or what kind of bus we'll need to get around. And it sucks but I literally just bought a Mini Cooper that seats four people... including the driver. I think I found out I was preg a few days later. Food, clothes, college... omg - it's best I stop thinking of all the negatives.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfette2 View Post

I'm kinda used to the idea now but 4 kids under the age of one is COMPLETELY overwhelming to me at times. I can't even imagine our stroller configuration or what kind of bus we'll need to get around. And it sucks but I literally just bought a Mini Cooper that seats four people... including the driver. I think I found out I was preg a few days later. Food, clothes, college... omg - it's best I stop thinking of all the negatives.

Yeah, yours will be kind of close ;-)

You'll get the strange to handle it. And it's smart not thinking too much about it.

When I got preg the last time, there were two again. I remember even then - with the kids being three years apart - I was a bit overwhelmed.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryan View Post

Yeah, yours will be kind of close ;-)

You'll get the strange to handle it. And it's smart not thinking too much about it.

When I got preg the last time, there were two again. I remember even then - with the kids being three years apart - I was a bit overwhelmed.

Good luck!

Yeah today at my OB appt, my doc asked how I feel and then put his hand over mines and just stared at me for a couple of minutes. I broke out in tears because the impact of what my body is going thru hit me suddenly. Without saying a word I know my doc was implying that it wasn't too late to terminate this pregnancy. Back to back pregnancies is one thing but back to back multiples in a woman of my age is another thing. He told me to get all the rest I could and stop trying to run the world. He also ordered me to be on bed rest even though I have some 200 odd days left in this condition.

I don't want to abort for the sheer fact that I've already bonded with my 8 wk old pregnancy but in the back of my mind I think I am doing a disservice to my newborns and my Teen by having so many kids.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 AM

Smurfette, there are several triple strollers available, I'd seriously consider investing in a good one for four kids so close in age.  Then you can wear one baby and push three.  There are a few quad strollers too, but they're more intended for daycare and don't usually recline enough for a newborn. 

I could fit 5 kids with no problem in my Honda Odyssey minivan, or in a Toyota Sienna.  I already have three rearfacing carseats in just the middle row (for my 3yo and my 7mo twins).  Yeah it's a lot bigger than a minicooper, but it's really not that huge or awful to drive or park. 

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
Old 08-23-2011, 04:48 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread so I don't have to start a new thread solely about me...but looks like we're expecting again.  I don't have really anything much to date it.  We had no mucus patch at all.  I had post-coitus bleed on the 8th, spotting really.  Then pelvic heaviness from that point on.  Nausea started about a week ago.  Negative test on Thursday and the faintest of faint positives on Saturday, 20th.  I am guessing a May birth, if a singleton since I usually go late.  My girls will be 1yo next March.  So, Smurfette, you wanna start a "pregnant way too soon after multiples" club?

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

User Tag List